The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I wonder...

If Remi does get sacked and either the caretaker manager or permanent replacement still don't get a win in the remaining seven games, will some fans finally recognise that with this squad it is nearly impossible to judge a manager as the best they could ever do is just make us slightly less, but still significantly, sh*t!

Three managers will have tried with this squad. There simply is no talent in there. The belief that our manager(s) aren't getting the best out of them astounds me, it's just that their best is still absolutely useless. No one in this squad has had a good season under either manager and not a single one of them will be wanted by a top half team.

Why do some people steadfast believe that a good manager can get good results whatever the squad?! You put a lowly Championship team in the Premier League, get Mourinho or Pep in to manage them and they still wouldn't survive. Some players just aren't good enough so motivation, tactics, training or whatever isn't going to make them decent. Otherwise we'd all be professional footballers rather than talking on here!

I'm so jaded by Villa, I couldn't care less whether Garde stays or goes but to call him a failure is just irrationally short sighted. You make gourmet meal, hell an edible meal, with a ball of wool, two buckets of diarrhoea and a mixing twig...

• Like 3

One thing i agree on Garde as many have said is the lack of pace and urgency to get forward as team, moved always break down because by the time the cross goes in the opposition have everyone back defending that they need. Few players are ahead of the ball making runs or movement and I do believe that Ayew and Gil have the ability to do that, even Sinclair or Bacuna have the pace to get break well. Most attacks are left to Cissokho or Hutton and neither are good outlets.

I just hope any decision on a replacement isn't rushed, even if it means leaving it to the summer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

I wonder...

If Remi does get sacked and either the caretaker manager or permanent replacement still don't get a win in the remaining seven games, will some fans finally recognise that with this squad it is nearly impossible to judge a manager as the best they could ever do is just make us slightly less, but still significantly, sh*t!

Three managers will have tried with this squad. There simply is no talent in there. The belief that our manager(s) aren't getting the best out of them astounds me, it's just that their best is still absolutely useless. No one in this squad has had a good season under either manager and not a single one of them will be wanted by a top half team.

Why do some people steadfast believe that a good manager can get good results whatever the squad?! You put a lowly Championship team in the Premier League, get Mourinho or Pep in to manage them and they still wouldn't survive. Some players just aren't good enough so motivation, tactics, training or whatever isn't going to make them decent. Otherwise we'd all be professional footballers rather than talking on here!

I'm so jaded by Villa, I couldn't care less whether Garde stays or goes but to call him a failure is just irrationally short sighted. You make gourmet meal, hell an edible meal, with a ball of wool, two buckets of diarrhoea and a mixing twig...

i do agree with a lot of what you are saying

but i also look at teams like Swansea, Bournemouth and Norwich and I genuinely don't think we are that much worse. Yes not good enough to stay up maybe, but good enough to get more points than we have.

as terrible as our squad is, there is enough experience and internationals to do a hell of a lot better than we are

17 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

i do agree with a lot of what you are saying

but i also look at teams like Swansea, Bournemouth and Norwich and I genuinely don't think we are that much worse. Yes not good enough to stay up maybe, but good enough to get more points than we have.

as terrible as our squad is, there is enough experience and internationals to do a hell of a lot better than we are

There is a fine line between experience and just simply 'past it'. Unfortunately, without exception, we are past that line; Richards and Lescott being prime examples. Let's not forget we started the season with Cole and Senderos too. I don't think Cissokho, Richardson, Hutton or Gabby will have ANY demand from Premier League teams next year either!

As for internationals... which are those players?! Genuinely can't think of any significant internationals. Guzan? Clark? Are any of them regular starters?

As for other teams, Swansea are nearly man for man much more talented. Fabianski, Williams, Gomis, Sigursson, the real Ayew and a few others would walk in to our team. 

Sorry, not attacking you, just surprised people still overestimate how good, or how much potential, our squad has. My view is not one of them is truly worthy of being called a 'solid' Premier League player. We have a few who might be ok on the occasional day, but most just aren't at, and never would be regardless of manager, at the right level.

• Like 1

Our squad is bad, no doubt, but I don't think it's bottom of the table cut adrift bad, it should be making a half credible relegation fight. Biggest problem is the toxic atmosphere and mentality at the club, which goes well beyond the manager. 

• Like 3

Sacking him is just papering over the cracks AGAIN.

It's 100% the squad for me. If they're going to sack him, whoever comes in must be backed to perform a clear out. However in front of our very eyes they failed to do this with another new manager.

You can't keep having bad manager after bad manager. All that proves is that the problems lie a little deeper.

Why on earth we're looking at the same English rubbish to get us promoted, just for them to get sacked if we go up, for a foriegn manager that can play better premier league football is beyond me.

For his lack of premier league experience on his CV, Garde does have the experience of ripping it up and starting again. That's what we need. We cannot keep going through this manager revolving door shite every season.

We haven't got one premier league striker in the entire squad. Yet Garde should motivate them to score at this level? Rubbish.

• Like 4

The argument is that the manager couldn't get results out of the squad so he should go.

The simple counter-argument is that he has this team exactly where their commitment and talent would put them: Last

I'd like to see Remi backed to be able to cull the squad of the poor quality/attitude players and start again. I'd like to see him with 11 players that he wants*. Then we can properly judge his ability.

* Those 11 do NOT have to be new players - just players that he wants. He should be free to drop/sell whomever he pleases - the whole starting squad if necessary.

5 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Our squad is bad, no doubt, but I don't think it's bottom of the table cut adrift bad, it should be making a half credible relegation fight. Biggest problem is the toxic atmosphere and mentality at the club, which goes well beyond the manager. 

I agree, we're crap. But not record breaking crap.

We need to bring a manager in who is allowed to bring in his own backroom team. We really ballsed it up with Garde as we had to bring in coaches who were not the managers preferred options. Admittedly some were because the coaches clubs wouldn't let them leave but I don't see the point in bringing in someone like Pearson if they have to work with the same coaches that are already here.

Complete staff and squad overhaul is needed to bury the memory of this catastrophic season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

We need to bring a manager in who is allowed to bring in his own backroom team. We really ballsed it up with Garde as we had to bring in coaches who were not the managers preferred options. Admittedly some were because the coaches clubs wouldn't let them leave but I don't see the point in bringing in someone like Pearson if they have to work with the same coaches that are already here.

Complete staff and squad overhaul is needed to bury the memory of this catastrophic season.

I suspect if we did bring in Remi's whole back room staff then we would be even worse as the likes of Gabby and Richards would be even more bothersome.  Gabby fell out with the fitness guy under Houllier as well, simply put they just don't want to be brought into the 21st century, they think they are English football and all this foreign nonsense is unnecessary.  You either find a manager to fit the the players or get new players in, which is where we failed Remi badly by not getting him a single player to work with, despite producing a decent set of results through January up until Ayew got himself sent off against West Ham, then beating Norwich, with just the return of Cissokho as a new player to work with.  That window was a disgrace (and I hate saying disgrace as I sound like a 606 knobhead, but it was).

• Like 1

I think his words in the interview were telling when he said we played like a team even with a lack of talent sometimes. He has been totally let down by the team. 

If he does get the sack then I just do not expect any other manager to move us forward without changing the squad.

3 minutes ago, VillakevBromsgrove said:

If he does get the sack then I just do not expect any other manager to move us forward without changing the squad.

I don't subscribe to this theory at all. A real top notch manager would get more out of our squad I'm certain. They have bad attitudes, lazy and immediately give up when conceding a goal. A better manager could address all of these things. There are limits of course, but a better manager would get us scoring a few goals and notching up points.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don't subscribe to this theory at all. A real top notch manager would get more out of our squad I'm certain. They have bad attitudes, lazy and immediately give up when conceding a goal. A better manager could address all of these things. There are limits of course, but a better manager would get us scoring a few goals and notching up points.

I agree.

But I don't think it would be much more. Certainly not enough to keep us up (from when Remi took over)

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree.

But I don't think it would be much more. Certainly not enough to keep us up (from when Remi took over)

I'd guess we'd be somewhere near to Sunderland/Newcastle, not home and dry but in with a chance at least.

Just now, Genie said:

I'd guess we'd be somewhere near to Sunderland/Newcastle, not home and dry but in with a chance at least.

Nah, I don't think we would.

I think we're down this season regardless of who was in charge. We might have put up slightly more of a fight, but we'd still be bottom.

We assembled by far the worst squad in the league and we're paying the price.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We assembled by far the worst squad in the league and we're paying the price.

I guess this is the 'grey' area. I believe there is more in this squad than our currently coaches are getting. We have a number of experienced PL players who have gone to utter shite pretty much all this season.

1 minute ago, Adbo9 said:

Has this useless tool had the bullet yet.......................

Akin to 'has he gone yet?' which is the most irritating and pointless question on this site.

Google it.

• Like 3

Â