The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats fair comment and I am not trying to misrepresent your opinions, but equally frustration is not a one way street.

I don't dislike Remi Garde and if he was to stay, I would be happy for him but dubious of our ability to get out of the championship quickly.

I think Remi is more of a technical manager and this mess he has walked in to requires a different approach.

You could be right, He may well go on to be more successful than Timmy, but that in itself is not a closed cased argument.....Remi is likely to end up at somewhere like Lyon where a fair infrastructure is already in place.

Tim never was a manager to go overboard on, but some of the stuff on here has been "open season" .....He too had players denied him like Cambiasso,Townsend, not saying he would have been the answer, but my point is his opportunity to prove his point,was curtailed too.

Remi always has had a more studious approach, one in complete contract to Tim or even our own beloved MON.....It appeals to some and not others, maybe because we too are all different personalities.

You won't let that personalities thing go will you? It isn't about that.

If you want some evidence, I was a big fan of O'Neill. He is quite different to Garde. In both cases I saw benefits to the club in them. O'Neill obviously had far more success but Garde has shown he could be good for us as well, in my view. He won't be now because it's been obvious for weeks he's done here, but he could have been. And it isn't because I like his personality, so stop it please.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We need a balance, the mild, meek and ultimately tepid Garde isn't the answer, that much I know. 

It might be a bit unfair....but in truth its how i feel

I am ready now, for an abrasive manager.

Players take the P*** if you let them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It isn't personalities.

I know it isn't because I'm sat here telling you quite honestly what my position is on Garde.

To repeat myself for the final time hopefully, and for reference I know you won't agree so save me the same argument back, I've seen with some of the performances under the current manager a far more professional, considered style of play than we ever saw under Sherwood, who didn't know what he was doing so is a bit a surprise. The midfield plays with more of a brain, more like you would expect of a 'big' club target than the smash and grab crap you expect of a lower league side on a cup tie.

Unfortunately it's completely undermined by the standard of players, they seem incapable of taking the next step, and have been for years. The team doesn't score enough goals under Garde, but they haven't scored enough goals for season on season - without Benteke we'd have been down long before now. And the defence is riddled with moronic individual errors that I genuinely don't think you can 'manage' out of them, and then loses their head the moment one goes in.

So, whilst the results haven't improved over all, there's enough hints from Garde that, given time and importantly given resource to overhaul this side, we'd benefit. Whereas Tim clearly was flailing around without a clue and seemed to just throw a team out and say 'play'. He didn't have any game plan, and by the end was looking like he was about to have a breakdown (his final few post match interviews he looked like he'd slept in a ditch and didn't seem to have the faintest idea what to do - he wasn't coping). His style of coaching was clearly all about adrenaline and emotion, which doesn't last. But he was liked by the team and when a different style arrived in Garde they've not bothered because he isn't their best buddy Tim and the wheels fell off even harder.

You disagree and that's fine. But accept it isn't about personalities, please. I see more in Garde than I do in Tim Sherwood. And that will be reflected in their careers, I believe, away from Villa Park.

I think you're seeing that because of how you feel about each manager. Your description of the midfield and our professional play is the perfect example of that. Because there are no examples just your opinion. 

And I'd love to know how we look more professional. What was professional about the 6-0 loss to Liverpool? The goal we conceded yesterday and any other pathetic performances we've seen under Garde which were the same as the pathetic losses Sherwood delivered. 

There are no stats or evidence to support these 'hints' they're based on the manager rather than what's actually happened. 

Reminds me very much of the ridiculous 'you don't get football if you don't rate westwood' rubbish that used to get spouted. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

So that was the same with sherwood then? We know at least one of his systems worked to some extent because it did last season.

It may be bollocks that it's about personalities, but what is certainly bollocks Is that improvements have been made.

I've answered this already.

And I'm not alone in feeling there has been some improvement, so whilst you might not agree, it isn't bollocks.

But I don't want to change your mind.

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Garde has shown he could be good for us as well, in my view. 

Perhaps this is where we are at odds.....shall we just drop it.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think you're seeing that because of how you feel about each manager. Your description of the midfield and our professional play is the perfect example of that. Because there are no examples just your opinion. 

And I'd love to know how we look more professional. What was professional about the 6-0 loss to Liverpool? The goal we conceded yesterday and any other pathetic performances we've seen under Garde which were the same as the pathetic losses Sherwood delivered. 

There are no stats or evidence to support these 'hints' they're based on the manager rather than what's actually happened. 

Reminds me very much of the ridiculous 'you don't get football if you don't rate westwood' rubbish that used to get spouted. 

I disagree, but I don't have any intention of arguing with you. I understand your position. I don't agree with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Perhaps this is where we are at odds.....shall we just drop it.

Yes. As I've said a few times, I understand the dissenting positions. I think everyone does. I've no desire to change anyone's mind. I'm just outlining a position and going against a misrepresentation. So there's no point continuing it.

I disagree, but I don't have any intention of arguing with you. I understand your position. I don't agree with it.

This is what makes it all so fascinating....different opinions.

It might be a bit unfair....but in truth its how i feel

I am ready now, for an abrasive manager.

Players take the P*** if you let them.

Loud mouth didn't work with Wilkins or Roy Keane, why would it work with another? the players are just words removed

Yes. As I've said a few times, I understand the dissenting positions. I think everyone does. I've no desire to change anyone's mind. I'm just outlining a position and going against a misrepresentation. So there's no point continuing it.

but hey....I respect your opinion.

2 minutes ago, mwj said:

Loud mouth didn't work with Wilkins or Roy Keane, why would it work with another? the players are just words removed

well firstly, Ray Wilkins may be a few things , but not a loud mouth.

Roy Keane was/is  abrasive .....but he would argue with his shadow.

not one attribute of anykind is effective in isolation.....its many blended together that form a whole

Just watching the Sunderland goal and it came from a smart set piece move.

The kind of thing IMO a manager after a few months in charge should be able to set up with any team - a bit of imagination / something to keep the opposition guessing.

All I see from Remi's team is predictable boring football with negative results.

Remi out.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just reading the People report and they're claiming Remi is on 4m a year!

Surely not?!

Wouldn't surprise me. How else to you attract a highly rated manager to join bottom of the league?

5 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Regarding Pearson - Pat Murphy said on Five Live recently that Pearson's name was put to Lerner when replacing Sherwood and he wholeheartedly rejected the idea because he felt Pearson was 'toxic'.

Randy would know about toxic things at Villa Park ;)

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Just reading the People report and they're claiming Remi is on 4m a year!

Surely not?!

It's doubtful VillaChris, but anything is possible I suppose with the previous people in charge, with increased player wages again etc.  However, it looks as if Hollis and others board members have their heads screwed on properly though!  I don't like the thought of sacking Garde due to the cost of paying him off, but I do now think a change of manager is required for next season.  

Â