The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Has he done well? No. Was it an unbelievably hard job? yes. Was he the wrong man for the job in hand? quite possibly.

I still think that in the circumstances we're about to arrive at, with a full pre-season, the chance to offload a good proportion of the rot (those who can't cope with a pay cut will have their agent working over-time) and what will actually be a pretty good set of players relative to the level of the championship, he would do just fine. 

Hypothetically, if it's May 16th and we had no manager, preparing for a season in the championship and the candidates were Garde, Pearson, Yorke, along all the other suggestions that aren't already employed/would never consider moving to this circus, I would be choosing Garde. It's the best of a really poor set of options.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, benireduk said:

There are plenty of reasons we wouldn't go for Rowett.

1) it would split an already angry fan base because of where he's coming from

2) he's done well for a couple of seasons at SHA but personally I think we need someone with experience of getting a team out of the Champ

3) SHA would never let us have him anyway

(1) I think our fans are intelligent enough to recognise that he isn't McLeish, that he's a young up and coming manager with talent and has his teams playing well.

(2) He did a great job at Burton and has done brilliantly at a shit club with a tiny budget. He has lots of talent and I want someone with potential and upside rather than the Steve Bruce's of this world.

(3) They have no choice, we can financially steamroller them. It's only a question of us selling the club into Rowett and that won't be hard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

(1) I think our fans are intelligent enough to recognise that he isn't McLeish, that he's a young up and coming manager with talent and has his teams playing well.

(2) He did a great job at Burton and has done brilliantly at a shit club with a tiny budget. He has lots of talent and I want someone with potential and upside rather than the Steve Bruce's of this world.

(3) They have no choice, we can financially steamroller them. It's only a question of us selling the club into Rowett and that won't be hard.

Given we'll be playing small heath twice next season it would be very sweet to take their manager off them - and it has been proven he is a villa fan too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

"Hull boss Steve Bruce is also on the short-list, but as a former manager of arch-rivals Birmingham City, the club’s hierarchy are mindful that his appointment could further alienate already angry fans."

What they don't seem to realise is that it would alienate some fans because Bruce isn't a very good manager, not because he used to manage SHA.

Agreed, and it because of this ridiculous idea that we care about past SHA connections , rather than just the quality (or lack of) of a man, that i don't think they would go for Rowett. Sadly. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed, and it because of this ridiculous idea that we care about past SHA connections , rather than just the quality (or lack of) of a man, that i don't think they would go for Rowett. Sadly. 

If Garde is sacked, we should start chanting Rowett's name, just to show that we don't care about the connections ;)

Garde is going, we all know that, it's just a matter of when. Whether he's had a fair crack is up for debate and I'd certainly be in the 'no' group, but few will be overly fussed to see him go.

However, when you hear names like Pearson and Bruce being the favourites then it hardly fills me with optimism. I think I'd rather stick! Rowett, Moyes, Rogers are all more interesting but equally unlikely. There isn't really anyone inspiring who'll join us in the Championship.

Depressing.

Edited by jackbauer24
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Rowett has already had a similar job at Birmingham, who were in a similar position to us, awful owner and board. He still managed to turn them around. so our situation would not be a new experience for him

Small Heath were **** dreadful under lee Clarke, rowett is doing much better than clarke did but its no pressure really, no one expects blues to be going for the play offs, anything better than scraping safety is doing well for them

here he would have to manage a huge rebuild, command the respect of players and deal with a fan base who will expect promotion.

notsaying he isn't a good manager, I just think this job will be too big for him

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

If Garde is sacked, we should start chanting Rowett's name, just to show that we don't care about the connections ;)

It worked before :thumb:

Like always it's also about the managers support staff. I read a Brum Mail article not too long ago about Rowett's back room team. He owes a lot to one of his old playing colleagues who does a lot of scouting for him. Can't remember who it is, but it's not just about getting the one guy in to pick the team on a Saturday (or Friday, Monday or whenever the **** Sky want us to play.)

David Moyes would be my choice if he was willing to come here. I really dont like the flavour of the week managers that are being mentioned on here. We've done that before and its failed horrifically. Then again its also failed when we've hired experienced managers.

• Like 2

I don't dislike Garde, but I now genuinely think we would have done better with Sherwood in charge. Just for the mere fact that he is passionate and could rile the players up. As I have said prior, I kinda blame our injuries for some of our luck. Overall though, it has just been an absolute shower of shite, I have never been so embarrassed to be a Villa fan. I have to admit that at one point I was hoping Sherwood would get more experience as a manager and come back some day. (Tin Hat firmly placed)

• Like 1

WHAT WHAT 

Unbelievable statement  given our circumstances and the whole purpose of the game! 

Not really. You can win without hiring a word removed as your manager.

I disagree don't like Sherwood but he was better than the current muppet . Had he stayed I recon we would still be in trouble but not out of touch . 

But I guess the Garde love in club will just blame the board the weather and the lack of coaching skills .

• Like 1

Â