The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Anyone expecting him not to be the manager next season is going to be disappointed. We were down when he took over and it's clear from the lack of backing in January that the board believed that too. He was brought in to restructure the club and get young players through. He will get a chance to bring in his own players next summer. 

I just don't see it, although I like Garde but the way results have gone, the way the board treated him in January and sacrificing him in the press I cannot see the man sticking around (and I wouldn't blame him).

The assembled squad is poor and some of those won't even transpose to Championship quality. Garde is in charge of a nest of self interested vipers, who could not care less of what he says or about the club and fans.

I also cannot see the club 'splashing out' and restructuring the playing staff either - we'll be spun a line or two of how our current squad have premiership experience and that will suffice to bring us up (this is once the cold hard realisation hits that no other club will touch the likes of Gabby, Lescott and Richards on their high wages)

We're in for a shitty ride.

• Like 1

Pointless sacking him now. We might as well get the remaining 9 games out of the way.

I would hope however that his replacement has already been approached and is watching the utter shambles. Quite what can be done about it is an entirely different matter though.

I suspect we are going to be starting next season with another new look side, which will probably put us at a disadvantage because the players need time to gel.

In Villas defence, we did try to back Garde in January. We tried to sign a keeper and also a striker, that I know of, maybe another player as well. One turned us down, the other coulfn't get a work permit. I'm glad we didn't waste money on signings in January-It would not have saved us. Hopefully, that money will be better spent in the summer, or at least go towards the wages of one of the few players we'd like to keep.

Yeah pointless sacking him now. Lets just keep losing and shipping goals for the 9 games left and sink the confidence even lower and make us a laughing stock.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Anyone expecting him not to be the manager next season is going to be disappointed. We were down when he took over and it's clear from the lack of backing in January that the board believed that too. He was brought in to restructure the club and get young players through. He will get a chance to bring in his own players next summer. 

We were in no way down when he got the gig.

• Like 4

Get young players through? He hasnt given any of our youth a chance even though our first team are woeful. Constantly picks players out of form who dont care for the club instead of putting a youth there with a point to prove who will fight for his shirt.

Just now, YGabbana said:

Get young players through? He hasnt given any of our youth a chance even though our first team are woeful. Constantly picks players out of form who dont care for the club instead of putting a youth there with a point to prove who will fight for his shirt.

Ok, I'll bite a little.

He's picked Lyden and given him a start, we've also seen the likes of Davis, Mason and Green a place on the bench

But who else is he supposed to pick from our youth set-up? Can you name any youth player worth a go???

Hepburn-Murphy is a bright prospect but is only just coming back from injury, Calder, Robinson, Donacien are all out on loan.

Maybe Sellars is worth a go, but Garde's picked Davis and Green as a striking options.

Our youth set-up is also a tad over-rated and many of our players are at least a year or two away from the first team, both in ability and physically (many of them look like they are, teenagers, not 'men')

10 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

Whats interesting about it?  One of the worst bits of journalism ive read in long time.  Nothing new and its signed off by a ridiculous quote. 

'Sources close to the Midlands club have confirmed he is aware that his managerial reputation is taking a fearful battering'

Really Moxley you heard that from a top source at Villa park?  They are taking the mick out of you!

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 1

I've thought about this over night and I can only come to one conclusion.

Firstly, for AVFC. Garde wasn't appointed by this board. Garde was appointed by the same group that bought in Richards and Lescott. Do we know Garde's salary? He could go simply from Hollis' cost cutting. Is he the man we need now? In my honest opinion, no. I like the man and think he has a very bright future, but this isn't for him. The current squad of big personalities requires someone much tougher, I believe, with more experience.

For Garde. He had a good reputation coming to Villa and has had some success in France prior to this. He's one of the few people in the squad who could potentially leave and see be in the Premier League next season. He strikes a defeated figure after only a small time in charge. I'm not sure he's cut out for the current Villa way. The scrapping, the negativity, the lack of funds or interest from the owner. Why should he stick around?

The timing. So now I've reached the conclusion that I would probably be better for both parties to part ways, but when? There's temptation to say wait until the end of the season, and I see where that's coming from. Largely this season is a write off and we are already down. But then, we have a quarter of the season still to play. 9 games to look less embarrassing and grind out results. It wouldn't be pretty and we would almost certainly be looking at Pearson or someone like that to come in and do it.

Would that work? Someone once said to me that if you ask someone really successful in business how many bad ideas they had on the way, the answer would be a lot. It only takes one good idea and you're away, but you have to go through the crap ones to get there. Maybe the Villa managerial merry go round is the same. Could work, most likely won't.

So my conclusion? I think we will part ways, be it through sacking or walking, we will part company. It all comes down to the when. Yes we know we're down, but let's have a crack at a fight. Make positive moves. I believe we should part company with Garde today and get someone in who's experienced in both a relegation scrap and a promotion fight. Then we have a few months to learn which players to keep, or to grind out enough lucky wins.

As a note, I do really like Garde. Wrong manager, wrong time.

Ok, I'll bite a little.

He's picked Lyden and given him a start, we've also seen the likes of Davis, Mason and Green a place on the bench

But who else is he supposed to pick from our youth set-up? Can you name any youth player worth a go???

Hepburn-Murphy is a bright prospect but is only just coming back from injury, Calder, Robinson, Donacien are all out on loan.

Maybe Sellars is worth a go, but Garde's picked Davis and Green as a striking options.

Our youth set-up is also a tad over-rated and many of our players are at least a year or two away from the first team, both in ability and physically (many of them look like they are, teenagers, not 'men')

They may not be world beaters but id bet my mortgage that they'd put in a shift and fight for their club.

How can you defend a manager who picks players week in week out who are shite and cost us goals. E.g Richards?

Where was I defending him? I merely stated he has selected youth from our current set-up.

Results are not good enough, neither are the current squad or current crop of youngsters.

I wouldn't want any of our decent prospects working alongside the likes of Lescott, Gabby, Richards et al either - they'd just be indoctrinated in the current culture within the first team and soon believe money is king and fans mean nothing.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We were in no way down when he got the gig.

We were though because I'm sure he would have asked when he took the job how much money would be available in January and was told little to none. The squad we have is only capable of finishing last so yes we were down. 

The club, garde and the players are just buying time until the summer. Not a single signing made in January tells you all you need to know.

Note: by youth I also mean players like amavi, traore and Veretout. Not just the youth team players. Expect more young French players to be signed next summer.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

We were though because I'm sure he would have asked when he took the job how much money would be available in January and was told little to none. The squad we have is only capable of finishing last so yes we were down. 

The club, garde and the players are just buying time until the summer. Not a single signing made in January tells you all you need to know.

The right appointment would have given us a lift. Remi had failed before he started.

The right appointment would have picked up a few more points and potentially given the board the license to gamble money on us staying up in January.

• Like 1

Our problem is not the manager.

I agree that i think the players, or some players (richards, lescott, gabby) are not playing for him.

It's the players that need to go first, not the manager. Remi is a decent man and deserves a chance, a lot of those players haven't got an ounce of personal professional pride and don't deserve a chance 

• Like 2

What can he do when players of richards' experience,  and who is supposed to be captain, lets him down like he did yesterday.

The guy is simply not trying.

Perhaps the only thing i will say against remi is his insistence on picking him week after week. He needs to be as far away from the first team as possible 

• Like 1

I'd agree the players need to go before the manager.

I'd give Garde a chance next season, simply because I don't want another manager coming in with a 'clean slate' and giving the likes of Agbonlahor another **** contract extension.

Let's clear out the shit and build a new squad.

• Like 3

Would be happy if we got rid of Garde either now (preferred) or at the end of the season as ultimately it is a results business and the results are awful.

A lot of fans also go to be entertained yet the football is, on the whole, dull and depressing.

At least under Sherwood I enjoyed watching a number of our matches. 

Garde out - and stop this boring and ineffective 5-3-2 while you remain.

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

I've thought about this over night and I can only come to one conclusion.

Firstly, for AVFC. Garde wasn't appointed by this board. Garde was appointed by the same group that bought in Richards and Lescott. Do we know Garde's salary? He could go simply from Hollis' cost cutting. Is he the man we need now? In my honest opinion, no. I like the man and think he has a very bright future, but this isn't for him. The current squad of big personalities requires someone much tougher, I believe, with more experience.

For Garde. He had a good reputation coming to Villa and has had some success in France prior to this. He's one of the few people in the squad who could potentially leave and see be in the Premier League next season. He strikes a defeated figure after only a small time in charge. I'm not sure he's cut out for the current Villa way. The scrapping, the negativity, the lack of funds or interest from the owner. Why should he stick around?

The timing. So now I've reached the conclusion that I would probably be better for both parties to part ways, but when? There's temptation to say wait until the end of the season, and I see where that's coming from. Largely this season is a write off and we are already down. But then, we have a quarter of the season still to play. 9 games to look less embarrassing and grind out results. It wouldn't be pretty and we would almost certainly be looking at Pearson or someone like that to come in and do it.

Would that work? Someone once said to me that if you ask someone really successful in business how many bad ideas they had on the way, the answer would be a lot. It only takes one good idea and you're away, but you have to go through the crap ones to get there. Maybe the Villa managerial merry go round is the same. Could work, most likely won't.

So my conclusion? I think we will part ways, be it through sacking or walking, we will part company. It all comes down to the when. Yes we know we're down, but let's have a crack at a fight. Make positive moves. I believe we should part company with Garde today and get someone in who's experienced in both a relegation scrap and a promotion fight. Then we have a few months to learn which players to keep, or to grind out enough lucky wins.

As a note, I do really like Garde. Wrong manager, wrong time.

he's probably not the manager for right now. but for May 16th? that's a different story. I think it would be a mistake to replace the manager again, have to go through another manager 'assessing' players like Richardson, Agbonlahor, Bacuna. There would be an opportunity for a proper rebuild and shake up of this toxic squad in the summer, and for me that should be in the hands of a manager like Garde, instead of a 'relegation scrap' manager.

• Like 1

Â