The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Haven't seen anything to suggest he is a good manager and can bring us back up. But I'm after stage when I just don't care who's in charge anymore. 

I know it's easy to say with hindsight but I think Sherwood would have done a better job. Under Sherwood we never lost a game by more than 1 goal. Now we are just a laughing stock. 

Just now, Mantis said:

The board will be mad to sack Garde. You can't appoint someone like him, refuse to back him and then sack him in the summer when the inevitable happens.

What do you mean by someone like him? He seems to have some sort of special aura around him from just a few years of managing in France. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We cannot continue to run with hidden agendas and we cannot continue to keep sacking managers despite the poor run of results, something is clearly broken.

One way or another we need Remi to come out and declare honestly what the problem is and why he cannot fix it and neither could his predecessor.

as much as we all know that can't happen for so many reasons......IT MUST.

Its not a case of a bit of whistleblowing the future of the club is at stake....we need some honest answers, successive managers are failing to arrest the slide.

what exactly is going on at this.....closed shop?

bet they'll nda him when settling his sacking/resignation

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What do you mean by someone like him? He seems to have some sort of special aura around him from just a few years of managing in France. 

Someone who isn't just the typical regressive, short-termist British manager (not all British managers are like that but a lot are). He's the sort of manager who might not necessarily give you a short-term boost but he'd be a better option for the long-term if the board actually backed him. I don't think he's amazing or anything but I think it's a bit odd to bringing in somebody with a long-term plan (as opposed to someone like Pearson) and then refuse to back him and then sack him when the inevitable relegation happens.

The board didn't hire him though. Not this board at least. Remember Hollis is supposedly investigating problems at the club. He may have identified Garde as one of those problems, rightly or wrongly.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Haven't seen anything to suggest he is a good manager and can bring us back up. But I'm after stage when I just don't care who's in charge anymore. 

I know it's easy to say with hindsight but I think Sherwood would have done a better job. Under Sherwood we never lost a game by more than 1 goal. Now we are just a laughing stock. 

We had 4 points from 11 games under Tactics Tim. He had to go. Shame Lerner didn't at the same time.

9 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Someone who isn't just the typical regressive, short-termist British manager (not all British managers are like that but a lot are). He's the sort of manager who might not necessarily give you a short-term boost but he'd be a better option for the long-term if the board actually backed him. I don't think he's amazing or anything but I think it's a bit odd to bringing in somebody with a long-term plan (as opposed to someone like Pearson) and then refuse to back him and then sack him when the inevitable relegation happens.

How do you know he has a long term plan? 

I think a lot gets assumed about Garde because he's foreign and did well for a couple of years abroad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think a lot gets assumed about Garde because he's foreign and did well for a couple of years abroad. 

I happen to agree.  He's been an absolute disaster for us.  Most of his players may be shit, but by telling the world that they're shit every week, you're just going to guarantee that they don't even try. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Because of the things he's said and the way he's tried (and unfortunately so far failed) to change the way we play.

I don't, certainly not with regards to him being foreign anyway. I think just as many people are inclined to dislike a manager because he's foreign as those who like a manager for the same reason.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Because of the things he's said and the way he's tried (and unfortunately so far failed) to change the way we play.

I don't, certainly not with regards to him being foreign anyway. I think just as many people are inclined to dislike a manager because he's foreign as those who like a manager for the same reason.

Sherwood said things about the future and tried to make us play differently, it doesn't matter though. 

Garde has shown nothing to suggest we should have faith in his long term plan or that he deserves the chance to implement his long term plan . 

• Like 2

We had 4 points from 11 games under Tactics Tim. He had to go.

And it's been so much better under Garde, hasn't it? When he came we were 20th, 4 points adrift. Now we're, er... 20th and 9 points adrift, having shipped 25 goals in 18 league matches.

Good job he has a "long term plan".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

The board didn't hire him though. Not this board at least. Remember Hollis is supposedly investigating problems at the club. He may have identified Garde as one of those problems, rightly or wrongly.

This is all a bit like the UK government investigating itself or some bank doing likewise. There is no reason whatsoever to expect this "investigation" to lead to anything positive given where the power lies in the club :(

Only time Managers talk, or need to talk, about long term, is when there is no prospects of anything decent in the short term.  Talking long term is ok, but this is football, you have to point to some short term successes as you go.  For the most part, and however unfairly, he can't.

49 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The board would be mad to sack Garde. You can't appoint someone like him, refuse to back him and then sack him in the summer when the inevitable happens.

Haven't you been watching ....?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Risso said:

I happen to agree.  He's been an absolute disaster for us.  Most of his players may be shit, but by telling the world that they're shit every week, you're just going to guarantee that they don't even try. 

I seem to recall that publicly throwing the players under the bus every week was one of the big complaints against Sherwood. :detect:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Sherwood said things about the future and tried to make us play differently, it doesn't matter though. 

Garde has shown nothing to suggest we should have faith in his long term plan or that he deserves the chance to implement his long term plan . 

Sherwood never looked like he had much of a long-term plan.

The problem at the moment is that I think it's hard to judge Garde either way. I genuinely don't know what to think sometimes because he's been hung out to dry by the board and the players are just so weak and generally shit in all areas. I would like to see him given a chance though but if the board aren't going to back him then yeah there's not much point in keeping him.

Not made my mind up about Remi Garde as of yet, but one thing he does deserve, and that is something that every manager has had, is the opportunity to sign his own players and build his team. Until that happens i think it's unfair to judge him to harshly. At the end of the day you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

• Like 2

Completely agree, not spent a penny, if / when we sack him I would very much be of the opinion that we've thrown him under the bus

If garde goes and gabby, Lescott, Richards et al stay then all it will show is that we continue to learn absolutely nothing

• Like 3

Under sherwood we had a shit manager and shit players who made 6/7 changes a game, complete different formations, mind blowing subs and stupid comments all week because he blatantly made it up as he went along

Don't get me wrong I don't think garde knows how to put this right (I don't think anyone can) but we aren't getting knee jerk reactions, we aren't getting panic, we aren't getting bullshit from him...we're just kind of getting nothing...I think he's settled us down and now the reality of the players going through the motions is there for all to see

It's sad in my head that fans and no doubt the press are inevitably starting to question him, I don't see how you watch today and think of remi rather than call Richards every name under the sun, and then you can say "drop Richards then" for who?

I don't think he's the answer, but at the same time I definitely don't think he's the question we should prioritise right now either

• Like 1

Â