The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

20 minutes ago, a m ole said:

**** these players if they're not playing for him. Is that what you really want, another 4 months of a manager 'taking a close look' at these players and figuring out which ones are and aren't good enough?

Yes, if Garde goes I'd rather another Manager saw them up close, and definitely before preseason.

• Like 1

Maybe it is a case of being Villa-weary, but I just don't care if he stays or goes. It is so completely and utterly irrelevant.

He has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he's a top manager, yet he also can't really be held responsible for much when he's been given no backing. I think with enough money offered Villa could have got his backroom staff in and obviously they didn't back him in January. However, he hasn't got even one decent performance out of this team in 20 odd games. There's nothing that compels me to have strong feelings one way or the other.

The only thing that will change this clubs direction is changes in ownership, then changes in players. You can't judge any manager until that happens so it's all completely irrelevant. The only slight preference I have is that Garde walks to further push the spotlight on our failing ownership. 

• Like 2

Just now, terrytini said:

Yes, if Garde goes I'd rather another Manager saw them up close, and definitely before preseason.

Well I would much rather Garde, who is already well aware of the characters he has to work with, can get to work shifting the damaged goods May 16th.

• Like 2

Wasn't expecting anything today, but I'm running out of patience with Remi.

We've conceded 13 in our last 3 and there has been little to no attacking threat in those games. When he came in we needed to win games to get out of trouble and he's won 2.

We were never going to keep Man City out by sitting deep so why not show some attacking intent?

It's a dreadful situation and I sympathise with him having to deal with our god awful squad, but in my eyes were haven't even tried to win games lately, just try and stay in them for as long as possible and hope to sneak a draw

• Like 1

If I knew for sure he would be here next season, then I would  say keep him. I would like to see he  what he could do with a preseason and some new players at the club. Get rid of the dead-weight and try to build the team's confidence.

If he looks like he be sacked at the end of the season, i would get rid of him now. We need to stop with these formations and get back to a 442. It's hard to break down, and with the right players we will create more chances.

• Like 1

Owner board room aside we have massive problems we all agree.

BUT 

Garde has to take some responsibility for performances on the pitch. He is a coach who should have inspired coached something out of this rable. 

He has not cut it for me and I don't believe he will cut it in the Championship next year. 

• Like 2

I think he'll be going pretty soon if I'm honest.  The club haven't treated him well.  He looked haggard today and it wouldn't be surprising to see him leave by mutual consent when we're finally down. 

Edited by trekka

10 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

If garde goes, who on earth comes in, and that decision will be made by a chairman who has no experience at running a football club.

Exactly. People have said in the past that they didn't want X manager sacked because they were worried about who the board would appoint as a replacement but the simple fact now is that almost nobody would touch us with a barge pole under Lerner.

I want Remi to hand in his notice now to put another nail in the coffin of Lerner, Fox, Reilly and Almstadt. I want everything negative to happen to AVFC so that the board of directors suffer so much as I hate everything about AVFC at the moment.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

last season we went to Etihad and outplayed City and got robbed at end, less than a year later we turn up and bend over for them

shameful

With Delph, Benteke, Cleverley etc. Players who actually belong in the PL

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Exactly. People have said in the past that they didn't want X manager sacked because they were worried about who the board would appoint as a replacement but the simple fact now is that almost nobody would touch us with a barge pole under Lerner.

Before Christmas, whilst I was sure we were going down I was also confident that garde would be a good fit to bring us back up, now I'm certain were going down, certain garde won't be here come the summer, we're going to be lumbered with a majority, if not all of the players that got us in this mess and our future is in the hands of a chairman that has no knowledge of football, let alone how best to get us promoted.

the future is very, very bleak in my eyes

• Like 1

Appreciate Okore nearly scored two own goals in his last match and Gil is very lightweight, but for me dropping both is a mistake.

Persevering with Gabby, Westwood and Clark is another mistake.

Garde is now more Sherwood than Sherwood was!

58 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Well I would much rather Garde, who is already well aware of the characters he has to work with, can get to work shifting the damaged goods May 16th.

I don't personally see the need to be adamantly one 'side' or the other, I still think there is a few games left over which he can be judged, but on so far, I don't see how he has made a case out.

Your own logic, whilst reasonable enough on face value, suggests that as a minimum for Garde to succeed you would have us replace 12-20 players - it wont happen.  Why 12-20 ?  - because you are saying once he has shifted 'the damaged goods'.  Under him, all our players have to come into that category, they have all been tried, and largely all failed, particularly in the character and spirit dept.

For whatever reason, rightly or wrongly, Garde + these players = failing.  So you have to get rid of all the players and hope the Manager is good.  Whilst if we get rid of him, by using the assumption that maybe some of the problems are him, we may salvage some players, (leaving New Manager + some current players + new ones = ?).

Hard to say, I agree, and I cant really relate to anyone who is definite either way. But on balance, from where we are, if I had to choose, then he hasn't done enough, its too much to give him a free pass, so  - with the rider of a few more games still to see - a new guy in time to assess what's what. However, I am sure they wont do it, they will, despite Hollis words, sack him at the end of the season (or he'll go) and we'll be in the worst of all worlds with a new Manager coming in who doesn't know the players.

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Appreciate Okore nearly scored two own goals in his last match and Gil is very lightweight, but for me dropping both is a mistake.

Persevering with Gabby, Westwood and Clark is another mistake.

Garde is now more Sherwood than Sherwood was!

Okore is an accident waiting to happen.

I really cannot get the obsession with him. He is short, overweight, inexperienced and not very good.

If he really badmouthed the club after we stuck by him through injury, I'd sooner net see him in a Villa shirt again.

1 minute ago, Butterfingers said:

Okore is an accident waiting to happen.

I really cannot get the obsession with him. He is short, overweight, inexperienced and not very good.

If he really badmouthed the club after we stuck by him through injury, I'd sooner net see him in a Villa shirt again.

Not an obsession... just an opinion that our defence is better when he plays. But that's not saying much as all our defenders are somewhere between bang average and absolutely awful.

I don't condone his comments if true as the notion he should have champs league ambition is laughable.

All i can say is dropping him has literally made our defence look far more comedy and useless.

Â