The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

21 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

If you believe all the tripe Sherwood spouted then that's your choice but out of interest which players in the squad do you believe that neither Lambert nor Sherwood purchased?

I have to say  .. I have a mate who works for AVFC and he has been telling me that (at least) some signings were at the behest of Reilly and Almstadt. I didn't believe it at the time but am beginning to wonder now. If it is available, have a look at Reilly's CV/previous roles.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

If you believe all the tripe Sherwood spouted then that's your choice but out of interest which players in the squad do you believe that neither Lambert nor Sherwood purchased?

Sherwood stated the players over the summer were purchased by a committee. He had an input but the final decision was made by the committee. He had actually said he had no problem with any of the choices they made. The club have never stated otherwise.

Lambert stated on MOTD extra that decisions on player purchasing at some clubs, alluding to Villa, are being made by faceless people who wouldn't know what a football is blown up with let alone how to pick a player.

Like I said our problems at this club run way deeper than the managers. McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood have just been scapegoats. I would not be surprised in the slightest if Garde will follow suit over the coming months and we have a new manager in place by the time we kick off in the Championship in August.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Sherwood stated the players over the summer were purchased by a committee. He had an input but the final decision was made by the committee. He had actually said he had no problem with any of the choices they made. The club have never stated otherwise.

Lambert stated on MOTD extra that decisions on player purchasing at some clubs, alluding to Villa, are being made by faceless people who wouldn't know what a football is blown up with let alone how to pick a player.

Like I said our problems at this club run way deeper than the managers. McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood have just been scapegoats. I would not be surprised in the slightest if Garde will follow suit over the coming months and we have a new manager in place by the time we kick off in the Championship in August.

I wouldn't say scapegoats. The squads have not been the best, but I doubt the above managers would have taken us to dizzy heights.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I've 'liked' your post 'cos I reckon you are right. however I hope you are wrong. who the hell would want to come to Villa  now anyway?

He's struggling at the moment to get some fluency going forward. He's trying to play 3 in the middle with Veretout at no.10 to make us more solid, but I think this is causing us problems going forward. I like Veretout, and more than anything else, we need him in the team for his set-pieces - so I would play him as a pair with Gana or Sanchez. Sanchez has looked very poor in the last few games though.

That then allows a more creative player to be played as no.10, and this might help our wide players. As it is, we work the ball wide and refuse to cross the ball, and so pass the ball inside to Veretout, but he doesn't do enough at no.10 at the moment (he might in future).

The question then is, who do you play at no.10?

Edited by GeordieVillan

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can't see how any manager can motivate this lot. That second Arsenal goal was probably the lowest moment for me since the 8-0 at Chelsea. I don't think I've ever see players jog back like I'm the first half when only 1-0 down. Forgot about it. We are down. 

Yup. 

I am still unsure about RG - I do not like how slow our tempo is, the lack of aggression and this negative style of play. Or is this down to the lack of talent/fitness in the squad? The board seriously need to think whether he is the correct person to bring us back up should we be relegated. In all honesty, I would be more confident with Pearson, Bruce, Dyche (etc) at the helm in the Championship, managers who are knowledgeable and proven in that division.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I am still unsure about RG - I do not like how slow our tempo is, the lack of aggression and this negative style of play. Or is this down to the lack of talent/fitness in the squad? The board seriously need to think whether he is the correct person to bring us back up should we be relegated. In all honesty, I would be more confident with Pearson, Bruce, Dyche (etc) at the helm in the Championship, managers who are knowledgeable and proven in that division.

It's this sort of short term thinking that has got us into the mess we are in. If we go down we might as well start to build something sustainable for the future. Something positive that runs through the club and none of the managers you have mentioned has got an ounce of what we need.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Spot on mate. Naturally, the talent in the squad is poor, but he's not getting them playing with aggression, any sort of tempo and frankly, any sort of desire. Good managers are able to instill this in their players. Hell, even Tim **** Sherwood managed it for a short period of time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

You were right earlier this autumn about The Problem, and you're right now. I can see why people were seething at Sherwood, but it doesn't change the fundamentals of The Problem.

• Like 2

Not impressing me so far, poor starting selections,, not just today but what we played at Everton aswell, persisting with rubbish like Scott Sinclair starting game after game, we still look miles away from winning games as we did under Sherwood.

C'mon Remi, win us a game, it can't be that difficult surely. I want to see us go down fighting at least.

You have to give him more than 5 games ,zero confidence by players and a poor squad he is not a miracle worker ,he comes highly regarded and has to be given a chance to build his own team and buy his own players .I wouldn't have picked the team any different to what he has

• Like 3

Be interesting to see how he approaches games from now on. Bar a miracle we are down now. We have to win games. Playing for draws or to contain teams is a waste of time.
For me we have been way too cautious in games under him and started way too slowly and gone out with the attitude of standing off teams, containing them and not pressing teams. Today we never had a go until the game was lost, we started on the back foot against Everton and were 3-0 down by half time and lets be honest we could have been 3 down in the first half against Southampton.

The least you expect under a new manager is an increased desire and players breaking their balls to impress him and giving their all but for me we haven't seen that. In fact as I said earlier I am struggling to see any improvement in any aspect of our play. We are still poor defensively despite playing more cautiously, we still create very little, we don't score many goals and we struggle to retain possession. Which perhaps all just re emphasis how poor a squad this is and that regardless of who is manager that will remain the case.

The very least I want to see now though is us have a go. Set up to attack teams and go out with high intensity and really go at teams from the first whistle. Take the shackles off as we have nothing to lose.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

Â