The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

He inherited a completely demoralised sad sack of shite from Sherwood.

He's having to undo the untold damage that complete cretin did and at the same time get them working on something new.

He's got a massive, massive task and he'll need our support to get things right. To be honest, if we go down, it's not his fault and I don't mind if we do, so long as we keep him and keep working towards his style of play. 

This is how I feel too.

Now, obviously if we don't get any better and Garde isn't able to improve us at all over the whole season, then there may be a case for reviewing that.

But my instinct is that he'll end up doing a good job here and if we are inevitably relegated, we should keep him.

• Like 1

The faults I see,are there every week......under Lambert, Sherwood and Garde.

until these faults are cured, I can't see us winning another game irrespective of the opposition.

i don't really see any improvement.....the team is still brittle, the individual battles are rarely won, we are untidy in our play, we track back in moods, now and again, our position play is suspect, we have players out of position regularly, we lose shape at the drop of a hat,we have no fight, goals are conceded from little danger.....fed up now.

other that, we are fine.

UTV

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He inherited a completely demoralised sad sack of shite from Sherwood.

He's having to undo the untold damage that complete cretin did and at the same time get them working on something new.

He's got a massive, massive task and he'll need our support to get things right. To be honest, if we go down, it's not his fault and I don't mind if we do, so long as we keep him and keep working towards his style of play. 

To be fair to Sherwood, he never inherited a European cup winning side from Lambert either.

look it's been rotten for years and there is little chance of it changing.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If he starts Sinclair next week then I think he should go

Has been no improvement from Tim and the football has got worse

Think you're having a little wobble there in regards to him going.

There's literally nothing good that can come from having 3 managers in a season.

Although I agree Sinclair should make way for someone else.

We look a little better in attack, though our confidence is such that the players obviously lack confidence and snatch at chances instead of burying them.

What concerns me is not our attack, though. It's how we handle ourselves off the ball. We just DO NOT pressure the other team. Ever. We sit back, usually very deep, and sit in a Zonal defense. When the opposition get the ball, we rarely come within 3 feet (Ayew excepted).

Giving teams in this league time and space is criminal. It allows them to pick a good pass forward instead of forcing them to react quickly or turn the ball backwards. Arsenal were in snooze mode yesterday as they passed the ball at will.

Remi needs to get the whole team pressing. Yes, it can leave us exposed but it's also going to lead to mistakes from the opposition: You make your own luck....

... and we need lots of it.

11 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

We look a little better in attack, though our confidence is such that the players obviously lack confidence and snatch at chances instead of burying them.

What concerns me is not our attack, though. It's how we handle ourselves off the ball. We just DO NOT pressure the other team. Ever. We sit back, usually very deep, and sit in a Zonal defense. When the opposition get the ball, we rarely come within 3 feet (Ayew excepted).

Giving teams in this league time and space is criminal. It allows them to pick a good pass forward instead of forcing them to react quickly or turn the ball backwards. Arsenal were in snooze mode yesterday as they passed the ball at will.

Remi needs to get the whole team pressing. Yes, it can leave us exposed but it's also going to lead to mistakes from the opposition: You make your own luck....

... and we need lots of it.

I agree. Problem is they are probably not fit enough for a high tempo pressing game.

To be fair to Remi, he's not had the easiest of fixtures to build up any momentum with.

He deserves the benefit of the doubt in my opinion. We don't have much choice though really do we?

There is so much pressure on him, it's unreal, for what it is worth I prefer him to Sherwood.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

This is just utter bollocks.

I think people are conveniently forgetting this season under Sherwood and remembering his good run last season.

The football under Sherwood this season is up there with the worst the club has ever produced. We were deteriorating by the week and I'm certain that with Sherwood in charge we'd still be on 4 points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSV said:

I agree. Problem is they are probably not fit enough for a high tempo pressing game.

Remi said after the game that if you press too much against a team like Arsenal then you leave open spaces for them to exploit.

It's tactical. He'd rather the team stay organised and in shape from what I've seen.

Yesterday when defending, Sinclair and Gestede swapped positions meaning that Sinclair could press. One player pressing on his own is a bit of a pointless exercise though.

Off the pitch I've been really impressed with him, on it not so much so far.

To attack the way he wants to attack you need Grealish, Gil and Ayew on the pitch together but to defend how he wants to defend you can only really start one of them if he wants Gestede up top.

“The discussion with the owner was also about that,” he said.

“I wanted to have certain answers and he told me that in the case of relegation the project was still on, and that he counted on me to lead it. So I am working also in the medium term.”

Asked if he would want to stay, Garde added: “I would want to stay if I feel that everyone is behind me. A season in the Championship is not the stuff of dreams but we can reconstruct the foundations of a big club quite quickly.

“To go down, it is not the wish of anyone, but if we are in the Championship and the club still wants me, I will start again with Villa. The answer is yes.”

Bham Mail

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Definitely. 5 games in and then picking Sinclair would do it for me, I'd have seen enough. If he picks Grealish though I think he should get a new five year contract.

Â