The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed, if you can't get a lift out of the players when they're initially trying to impress you as a new manager, what hope is there?

Unless we work a miracle in January, which seems incredibly unlikely under Lerner, we're down. Garde might go on to do good things as a manager, but I'd much rather have had Allardyce for a relegation battle.

I'm not convinced he has got into their heads, I don't think he has the motivation skills, good managers get their players working hard and running through brick walls for them. I'm frankly astonished at how lazy some of our players are and how easily they mentally switch off. 

• Like 1

Newcastle

West Ham

Norwich

Sunderland

Palace 

Leicester

West Brom

West Ham

Norwich

Those are our next PL games, which will be the real test of Garde, the January window and the players. I doubt that Garde is happy with what he has at his disposal at the moment but, really needs to be taking the game to the next few opponents.  Hopefully we'll see a braver starting XI against Newcastle, with Traore getting the nod of Sinclair.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I know it's very early doors but I don't think Garde was the right appointment at all.  We needed someone like Fat Sam to build a solid Base and then get a manager like Garde to add to it.  Similar to what West Ham have done.  Letting Sam go to Sunderland was absolutely ridiculous.  

Our owners really aren't very smart,  at all.  This isn't a knee jerk reaction to our current position.  Was saying it at the time.  

Moyes was the best choice.

• Like 2

I am not blaming Garde for a second for where we are but for me he has had zero positive impact which perhaps just re emphasis just how poor a squad of players we have. There has been no new manager bounce, no increased desire or work rate from the players. We don't defend any better, we don't create more chances, we don't score more goals, we don't retain possession any better. As a team nothing has improved for me. One or two players, most notably Ayew, look much better over the last handful of games but that is it.

Taking today in isolation I thought we started poorly and instead of coming out fired up we lacked desire. Second half was much better but lets not kids ourselves Arsenal didn't get out of second gear. Gardes substitutions lacked being brave enough to change the game in a positive way. Grealsih for Gestede didn't change the formation in anyway with Ayew simply replacing Gestede up top, and then becoming less effective, and Grealsih replacing Ayew outwide. Traore should have come on with 25 mins to go not with 5 minutes to go. At that stage it was a token gesture. It was as though we wanted to keep the score down but we will get nowhere near having to worry about goal difference as we are so far behind points wise. We need wins and I genuinely don't know if we have the players or a manager who is brave enough to set us up in a formation and with the personnel to get them. Next week will be very telling.

I don't know if by the end of the season we will know if Garde is a good manager suitable to managing us going forward or is much like many of our players and out of his depth. So far ,as perhaps was to be expected,the jury is out though.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Someone like fat Sam maybe who has done such a wonderful job at Sunderland?

Errr, he's got more points for them than Garde has for us, and at least has them in touching distance of the 14 point mark, rather than 8 off. So yeah, great point mate.

Who have they played? Garde has had to face Man City, Everton, Southampton and Arsenal in his first 5 games in charge. I wonder how well 'the fat one' would have done faced with the same so yea mate, I do have a point!

• Like 1

Today was today. Hardly as if we have a good record against Arsenal at the best of times. 

The season either starts or finishes next week. It's as simple as that for me. Win and I'll retain a tiny bit of hope,  anything less and it's finished. 

• Like 2

Though I've been impressed with everything I've heard from Remi,  I'm finding it almost impossible to judge him as a Manager. 

I know its an often used line but I genuinely think that (insert great Manager) would struggle with lot, the players are simply not good enough and the club seems resigned to relegation. Now that doesn't completely absolve Remi of any blame, and I'm certainly not trying to do that.

But how do we judge him at the moment? Do we think this squad of players are good enough to stay up? (I won't delve to deep into the strength of our squad because there are others threads for that, but I believe we are about 7 first team players away from a squad capable of survival) do we believe he should have amassed a few more points? Or be getting more out of the players he has?

At this moment in time i don't know if he is a good Manager or not, no soon as I ask 'how the feck he can lose at home to Watford' I look at our team and it all becomes clear.  I suspect we won't really find out until next year in the championship. 

I honestly haven't got a clue what difference he's made

I can accept and agree that he can't polish a turd but it's disappointing that he hasn't raised the confidence or the work rate of the team, we don't look more organised, we aren't working harder, we are still embarrassingly bad at pressing as a team, wasn't convinced in the first half with our fitness levels

He needs to address all of those issues, and then move on to teaching half of them to pass the ball to another villa player that's five yards away...

• Like 1

Awful today and am losing faith in him, 2nd half Arsenal were daydreaming and didnt bother put on Traore until last 4 minutes

Worse than Tim so far and he better get it together or he be gone by Christmas

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

a squad of players bought by 2 of the shittest managers we have had in a long time. Really!

A good proportion of this squad were not purchased by the last two managers but by Reilly and Almstadt. I expect that may well still be the case in January. The problems at this club run way deeper than the managers. They have just simply become the scapegoats.

• Like 1

Not impressing me so far, poor starting selections,, not just today but what we played at Everton aswell, persisting with rubbish like Scott Sinclair starting game after game, we still look miles away from winning games as we did under Sherwood.

C'mon Remi, win us a game, it can't be that difficult surely. I want to see us go down fighting at least.

a squad of players bought by 2 of the shittest managers we have had in a long time. Really!

A good proportion of this squad were not purchased by the last two managers but by Reilly and Almstadt. I expect that may well still be the case in January. The problems at this club run way deeper than the managers. They have just simply become the scapegoats.

If you believe all the tripe Sherwood spouted then that's your choice but out of interest which players in the squad do you believe that neither Lambert nor Sherwood purchased?

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Moyes was the best choice.

1. He didn't want the job apparently, and said he didn't want to leave the side he was with on TV

2. Why would we have wanted a manager that's been sacked from his last two jobs due to doing a shit job?

Â