The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

We should look at a starting line up similar to the Leicester game which was our best performance this season but for poor substitutions. i Think we played 4231

Guzan

Bacuna  Richards   Lescott   Amavi

Sanchez          Westwood

Gil               Grealish             Sinclair

Agbonlahor

maybe swap Lescott for Okore,  Gueye for westwood and Ayew for Sinclair.........Lewis Kinsella  for Amavi ?

I really hope we don't sack him if we go down. He is obviously a good manager, the Lyon fans wanted him to stay a few years ago. We need to give him time to build something here. It will be interesting to see who he goes for in the upcoming transfer window. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, deamie said:

We should look at a starting line up similar to the Leicester game which was our best performance this season but for poor substitutions. i Think we played 4231

Guzan

Bacuna  Richards   Lescott   Amavi

Sanchez          Westwood

Gil               Grealish             Sinclair

Agbonlahor

maybe swap Lescott for Okore,  Gueye for westwood and Ayew for Sinclair.........Lewis Kinsella  for Amavi ?

You'd have to think that those substitutions Sherwood made may well be as catastrophic as any substitutions could possibly be. We looked fantastic in that game - Grealish coming of age and getting his first goal, Gil finally getting a chance and showing the potential he has. The downward spiral that subsequent collapse and result has sent us into is just unreal.

I agree KJT.  Obviously we'll have to see the manner in which we go down if we go down, but assuming it's not an absolute capitulation and we give a decent account of ourselves from this point onwards and he shows that we are progressing then I think it would be good to keep him on.  The obvious worry in that situation is that the Championship is such a specific and tough league that there's almost a list of career-championship managers who know how to play that league, and some might say we'd be better bringing in one of those just to get us back up.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that :)

We need to back this guy and give him chance. Mourinho has one of the best squads of players in the country, possibly Europe, and he is languishing a few places above us, despite how utterly shit we have been. People have kept saying all season that Mourinho and Chelsea would turn it around. When did it happen? It hasn't yet! Who would have thought it would take more than 15 games for that to happen, if it happens?

Garde is the man here now and he will be the man in charge when we go down. It's not his fault. The owner has an agenda and his generals have royally messed things up by changing too much, too soon and on a shoestring budget. That's not saying that these guys won't come good. I believe the younger lot may come good eventually. But, in the short term, they are caught in the headlights and their confidence is trashed. We need to face up to what is happening and just let nature take its course without losing the plot too much - the only person who deserves to face the backlash of our plight is the owner, you know, that man who no longer wants us. We have to then trust that Garde can turn it around in the summer. We have to hope that the (lack of) brains trust at the top learn their lessons and allow Garde the chance to bring in players that he wishes to work with. Allow a football manager to manage footballers that he wants - imagine that!

I feel sorry for Garde. I feel sorry for anyone who has to come in and work with Lerner and his minions. I know Garde will be well paid and people will say he knew what to expect. I bet that he really didn't expect it to be this difficult and can't personally believe what he is experiencing here with us. It's no good giving up on him after a few games. He needs to get through this season and re-evaluate. Right now, I would rather trust him to try to bring us back up next season than take a risk on yet another manager who may drop us further down the leagues.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Richard said:

I think he's a poor manager.

I don't think he is a poor manager, however I don't feel he was the right manager for this situation and I think he was appointed for the wrong reasons

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

I agree KJT.  Obviously we'll have to see the manner in which we go down if we go down, but assuming it's not an absolute capitulation and we give a decent account of ourselves from this point onwards and he shows that we are progressing then I think it would be good to keep him on.  The obvious worry in that situation is that the Championship is such a specific and tough league that there's almost a list of career-championship managers who know how to play that league, and some might say we'd be better bringing in one of those just to get us back up.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that :)

It's crazy talk to be thinking about sacking now, we've really got a proper test of what should be very winnable games to come...then we'll know.

And yes, manner of going down is everything...if we can show fight all the way down to the championship then we'll already have the technical quality vs a typical championship side.  IF he can't get a fight before this season is out...of which there is still half of it to go then sacking might be on the cards because he won't make it down there.

1 minute ago, KHV said:

I don't think he is a poor manager, however I don't feel he was the right manager for this situation and I think he was appointed for the wrong reasons

I agree with you KHV. I said at the time I wasn't convinced he was right for us but would support him regardless. But, he's here now and we really might as well just get behind the guy and try to help him to help us because, there's not going to be too many quality managers wanting this job with the clowns at the top in charge.

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

You might be proven right here, I hadn't a clue and relied on my fellow villa fans to say this was the right appointment.  People laugh at the prospect, but I always thought fat sam was our solution to the relegation fight on our hands - not necessarily for the long term of course.

Just now, Neil said:

You might be proven right here, I hadn't a clue and relied on my fellow villa fans to say this was the right appointment.  People laugh at the prospect, but I always thought fat sam was our solution to the relegation fight on our hands - not necessarily for the long term of course.

I'm not sure he could have saved us, this is the worst squad I can remember and that includes the last relegated Villa team! I think we may have had more of a chance though than we have with Garde.

Crazy muddled thinking by the people who make these decisions at Villa to bring in a French manager with no experience in the Premier League, and I said it at the time. That and bringing in a load of young French league players to replace the experience of Delph, Vlaar, Cleverley and Benteke has sealed out fate.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Crazy muddled thinking by the people who make these decisions at Villa to bring in a French manager with no experience in the Premier League, and I said it at the time. 

There's that old chestnut again

• Like 2

Just now, PaulC said:

Yes but its true, I would either have sacked Sherwood when Sam was available or stuck with Sherwood rather than bring Garde in.

I would have rather put a monkey in a suit in charge than have kept Sherwood.

Garde will turn out to be obviously the better choice between the two. I'm sure of it.

Â