New manager

KJT123

Hypothetically, given that 75-80% of us on this forum seem to be happy with the appointment of Garde - if it doesn't work out - are we all going to give the board a pat on the back and say "well they tried their best and appointed a guy that we all thought was a good choice, so its not their fault", or will we turn on the board and blame them for making another terrible choice....

My recollection of Lambert is that most were happy with the appointment, and the only criticism of the board was that they stuck with him too long when things just weren't working out, but I think the mood of the fans has changed since then, and we are alot less patient with managers now.

Pete Colley seems to think it will be Garde because Moyes and Rodgers wont work under Almstadt who is going nowhere apparently

Or alternatively Moyes wants to stay in Spain and Rodgers is having a break. The British media is a disgrace.

Most of the forum were creaming themselves well ole gunnar soljester  looked to be getting the job - and look how that turned out when eventually went to cardiff. Garde would flounder here big time. 

Hypothetically, given that 75-80% of us on this forum seem to be happy with the appointment of Garde - if it doesn't work out - are we all going to give the board a pat on the back and say "well they tried their best and appointed a guy that we all thought was a good choice, so its not their fault", or will we turn on the board and blame them for making another terrible choice....

My recollection of Lambert is that most were happy with the appointment, and the only criticism of the board was that they stuck with him too long when things just weren't working out, but I think the mood of the fans has changed since then, and we are alot less patient with managers now.

Pete Colley seems to think it will be Garde because Moyes and Rodgers wont work under Almstadt who is going nowhere apparently

Or alternatively Moyes wants to stay in Spain and Rodgers is having a break. The British media is a disgrace.

Most of the forum were creaming themselves well ole gunnar soljester  looked to be getting the job - and look how that turned out when eventually went to cardiff. Garde would flounder here big time. 

Same question as above. How do you know this?

Interesting point Geordie.

I think people are patient if they see positive signs. Under Lambert he showed positive signs in his first year which bought him time. Second year was disastrous and I'm surprised he got a chance in the third.

Sherwood showed positive signs at the back end of last season as well as worrying aspects. That bought him a bit of time but this season there has been very little positive from any game. I can only think of 60 mins vs Leicester when we played well and that is in 10 games. It shows the positives of last year were the outlier hence the lack of patience. Also the urgency of our situation means we need to change things sooner rather than later. Sherwood basically openly admited he didnt know how to do that which was a bold move to say the least and also hastened his exit.

• Like 2

Garde is not the man that can save us from relegation. People are excited because he is a foreign manager that sounds exciting. Because he is a good french Ligue 1 manager does not necessarily make him a right fit for the club. What players would he bring in January? we need Premier League Experience. Our problem is that we are an easy team to beat because the squad are mentally weak, we need a manager that can make us a difficult team to play against, and give us that ruthlessness home and away.

David Moyes is the man to that, we need to get the basics done and start getting clean sheets, we can score goals but we cannot defend. I hope that this pure speculation and that David Moyes is being lined up as our new manager. 

Even if we have enquired about Moyes, what makes you think he would come?

Edited by JoeParker91

Garde is not the man that can save us from relegation. People are excited because he is a foreign manager that sounds exciting. Because he is a good french Ligue 1 manager does not necessarily make him a right fit for the club. What players would he bring in January? we need Premier League Experience. Our problem is that we are an easy team to beat because the squad are mentally weak, we need a manager that can make us a difficult team to play against, and give us that ruthlessness home and away.

David Moyes is the man to that, we need to get the basics done and start getting clean sheets, we can score goals but we cannot defend. I hope that this pure speculation and that David Moyes is being lined up as our new manager. 

Even if we have enquired about Moyles, what makes you think he would come?

He's not enjoying Radio X that much.

• Like 4

Even if we have enquired about Moyles, what makes you think he would come?

He's not enjoying Radio X that much.

I really had hoped I edited that before anyone saw....

• Like 2

Part of me hopes David Moyes speaks out (again) and clarifies the situation.

He has already said he will stay the course at Sociedad and they won over the weekend so it will NOT be Moyes i'm afraid but people still don't seem to understand it..

If he had lost over the weekend I could understand it.

I am not saying Remi Garde would be a bad appointment but it would certainly be a risky one. I think if he had a full pre season or was even coming into the club with us not sitting in such a precarious position I'd be a lot more comfortable with it.

This job and the task of keeping us up will be a lot for any manager to take on. Garde has never managed or coached in the Premier League before and in fact only has three years managerial experience behind him at a club he knew inside out before taking the job.

Given the position we are in we don't have time for a manager to settle in. We need someone to come in a be able to hit the ground running and be able to get over a plan quickly and effectively. I think that was the appeal of Allardyce recently and Pulis last season. I know some turn their noses up at their ilk and they do have glass ceilings as to where their brand of football will take you but we are a million miles away currently from having to worry about anything other than finishing 17th.

Foreign managers I know have done really well in this country and I am not just talking about the top guys at the big clubs. Pochettino did great at Saints and is doing well at Spurs and Koeman is doing great at Saints. However I am struggling to think of a foreign manager with no experience of managing in England that has gone into a club really struggling and had a positive impact. Mel at WBA, Magath at Fulham and Solskjaer at Cardiff spring to mind and all were a disaster.

For me I think given where we are I would be way more comfortable with someone who knows the league inside out and would therefore go all out for Moyes or failing that Rodgers,

If it is to be Garde though then he will get my full backing as given the task whoever the manager is will need all the help and backing they can get.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Who knows, he says Villa have contacted all 3, I cant see Moyes wanting to work under Almstadt/Reilly and I cant imagine Rodgers would want to work with Reilly again

How much of Remi Garde's teams have you seen?

There seems to be a lot of French Football experts on here all of a sudden. I have no idea if Remi Garde is a good fit or not. And I doubt 95% of VillaTalkers do either.

How many successful european managers have came to this league and struggled? 

This is the Premiership, the hardest and most unforgiving league in world football, An experienced premier league manager is required for this Villa Job. 

Why do you think managers like Big Sam, Mark Hughes and Pullis are in high demand amongst the mid table sides in this league? 

• Like 1

This article seems to suggest we are holding further talks today and it's a matter of whether he can get his staff together at short notice to come with him.

"If Garde decides to accept the Aston Villa challenge, which will surely depend on how much of his coaching staff he can pull together at such short notice, then he will have a rich array of French/Ligue 1 talent at his disposal. Garde is very much considered by Arsène Wenger as a possible replacement for him at Arsenal, but Remi Garde must prove his credentials in the Premier League first."

...we need to get the basics done and start getting clean sheets, we can score goals but we cannot defend.

We're joint 16th in the league for goals conceded and joint 19th for goals scored.

While admittedly that's rubbish on both counts, our inability to score goals is the bigger weakness at the moment.

Your point is still valid though if you think Moyes would be better placed than Garde to get us scoring.

What do you mean 'we are a lot less patient'? GeordieVillan OUT!

"You don't know what you're typing.....you don't know what you're typing...."

I'm not saying we should have stuck with Sherwood, I think the board made the decision at the right time. I just think that even before this season started, there were some fans calling for his head, and that there was general lack of patience even after the 3rd or 4th game to give him some time. Maybe that patience was borne out by people seeing much quicker than I did that Sherwood just didn't know what he was doing - I honestly thought he would turn it around.

My question was more about the attitude of the fans - if the board appoints someone that most of the fans want (or it seems that way anyway), and it turns out to be a disastrous appointment, then can we as fans really turn on the board and say they have got it horribly wrong again?? It would be a bit hypocritical?

How much of Remi Garde's teams have you seen?

There seems to be a lot of French Football experts on here all of a sudden. I have no idea if Remi Garde is a good fit or not. And I doubt 95% of VillaTalkers do either.

How many successful european managers have came to this league and struggled? 

This is the Premiership, the hardest and most unforgiving league in world football, An experienced premier league manager is required for this Villa Job. 

Why do you think managers like Big Sam, Mark Hughes and Pullis are in high demand amongst the mid table sides in this league? 

So none then?

I'm confused by the negativity towards Garde. We're coming off the reign of a glorified youth development coach and we should be bloody ecstatic that we are about to get an actual football manager.

Yes it might be a risk but so would Moyes or Rodgers who aren't even interested. The only person I think that would have come here and been slightly less of a risk was Allardyce but that is no longer an option either.

• Like 1