New manager

KJT123

An experienced premier league manager is required for this Villa Job.

Alex McLeish is an example you missed out on.

The best candidate for the job is what is needed. Our squad make up is not based on British players.

Edited by dudevillaisnice
  • Like 3

Well if he actually wants the future arsenal job this would be a great opportunity for him to prove himself.

Totally and if he went from us to managing Arsenal it would mean we would be doing well in the league, so win-win.

• Like 1

Why does a 49 year old only have 3 years managerial experience? That's my concern. 

7 years an assistant too. 3 as head coach.

Yep, It's called learning the trade the right way. Not talking your way into a job.

Bingo.

I read an article yesterday that said when he was at Arsenal he was basically a coach and Wenger used him as a go-between, between himself and the squad to get his ideas across.

Edited by useless

Why does a 49 year old only have 3 years managerial experience? That's my concern. 

Because he coached at Lyon from 2003 then took assistant managers job under houllier, after that he became their head of youth development before taking Lyon job in 2011 and eventually left in 2014.

I read an article yesterday that said when he was Arsenal he was basically a coach and Wenger used him as a go-between, between himself and the squad to get his ideas across.

That was suggested on TalkSport this morning but Ray Parlour wasn't really having it. Saying that though it was suggested to him that Garde was Wenger's eyes and ears within the squad which sounds like he was a snitch so maybe Parlour was just sticking up for him.

• Like 1

I read an article yesterday that said when he was Arsenal he was basically a coach and Wenger used him as a go-between, between himself and the squad to get his ideas across.

That was suggested on TalkSport this morning but Ray Parlour wasn't really having it. Saying that though it was suggested to him that Garde was Wenger's eyes and ears within the squad which sounds like he was a snitch so maybe Parlour was just sticking up for him.

Here's the article

"I do recall Wenger chatting to him one-on-one several times after training as we all wandered in," says Clarke. "He was 30 at the time, but he seemed much older. I think most of us saw him as a virtual player-coach, even though he wasn't part of the coaching team."

• Like 1

I am not saying Remi Garde would be a bad appointment but it would certainly be a risky one. I think if he had a full pre season or was even coming into the club with us not sitting in such a precarious position I'd be a lot more comfortable with it.

This job and the task of keeping us up will be a lot for any manager to take on. Garde has never managed or coached in the Premier League before and in fact only has three years managerial experience behind him at a club he knew inside out before taking the job.

Given the position we are in we don't have time for a manager to settle in. We need someone to come in a be able to hit the ground running and be able to get over a plan quickly and effectively. I think that was the appeal of Allardyce recently and Pulis last season. I know some turn their noses up at their ilk and they do have glass ceilings as to where their brand of football will take you but we are a million miles away currently from having to worry about anything other than finishing 17th.

Foreign managers I know have done really well in this country and I am not just talking about the top guys at the big clubs. Pochettino did great at Saints and is doing well at Spurs and Koeman is doing great at Saints. However I am struggling to think of a foreign manager with no experience of managing in England that has gone into a club really struggling and had a positive impact. Mel at WBA, Magath at Fulham and Solskjaer at Cardiff spring to mind and all were a disaster.

For me I think given where we are I would be way more comfortable with someone who knows the league inside out and would therefore go all out for Moyes or failing that Rodgers,

If it is to be Garde though then he will get my full backing as given the task whoever the manager is will need all the help and backing they can get.

Yes, thats where I am. I think Moyes is a non starter. Personally Im hoping for Sean Dyke, best of bad bunch, but he seems a no nonsense guy, and he knows the championship should the worse happen.

Of course if Garde comes and wins game after game, I will be shouting his name very loudly. But to me he has disaster written all over him.

Garde is not the man that can save us from relegation. People are excited because he is a foreign manager that sounds exciting. Because he is a good french Ligue 1 manager does not necessarily make him a right fit for the club. What players would he bring in January? we need Premier League Experience. Our problem is that we are an easy team to beat because the squad are mentally weak, we need a manager that can make us a difficult team to play against, and give us that ruthlessness home and away.

How much of Remi Garde's teams have you seen?

There seems to be a lot of French Football experts on here all of a sudden. I have no idea if Remi Garde is a good fit or not. And I doubt 95% of VillaTalkers do either.

How many successful european managers have came to this league and struggled? 

This is the Premiership, the hardest and most unforgiving league in world football, An experienced premier league manager is required for this Villa Job. 

Why do you think managers like Big Sam, Mark Hughes and Pullis are in high demand amongst the mid table sides in this league? 

An unfashionable view, but pretty much spot on. good post.

• Like 1

I'm finding the idea that Garde will relegate us quite amusing. Nothing like exposing an agenda before he's even got here, eh? Unless the new boss matches his performance it'll be Sherwood that's relegated us. And Lerner, natch.

Do I have to mention Tom Fox in every post? Not clear on the rules of posting in these threads but it seems to be the done thing.  

• Like 2

Remi Garde has an air of Fulham's Meulesteen/Magath appointments to me. It's a huge gamble bringing in yet another inexperienced manager. If this appointment fails we are ******* so I can't believe we are hiring a man who has only managed for a few years and never managed in the Prem at all.

Edited by One For The Road

The only thing he has in common with Meulesteen and Magath is that they're not English. And Garde isn't inexperienced in fact he seems pretty experienced to me. I think he might turn out to be just what the club needs.

• Like 3

I'm finding the idea that Garde will relegate us quite amusing. Nothing like exposing an agenda before he's even got here, eh? Unless the new boss matches his performance it'll be Sherwood that's relegated us. And Lerner, natch.

Do I have to mention Tom Fox in every post? Not clear on the rules of posting in these threads but it seems to be the done thing.  

If thats the case why don't we just give Gareth Barry the job ?  - and not permit any criticism until he's  had a fair crack of the whip. Because like Garde it won't work out.

They're not the same thing. 

I know but what your saying is we shouldn't point out a managers weaknesses before he  arrives.

Where as I think thats the best time to do it.

Looke if he comes and wins games I will like him. I just think thats unlikley.

Edited by hippo