New manager

KJT123

Our recent record with British players/managers is pretty bad.   Clearly they means they don't suit villa and we shouldn't bring any new ones in.   That rules out most of the other names suggested on here.

You know, you might be on to something there.

I've noticed that they are all men too, clearly men don't suit Villa so we shouldn't bring any new ones in.

Come to think of it, they'd all have two legs too. Monoped's only from here on in.

• Like 1

McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood. Hardly inspired appointments, all seemed a shade desparate even given the relative success Lambert had at Norwich,

We have been flirting with the inevitable for some time, perhaps a left of field appointment is just the tonic.

Remi Garde IMO would be a disastrous appointment, I'm pretty much 100% he would relegate us.Thanks to Tom Fox's willingness to give Sherwood 2 more games (why, oh why ?) the most able guy for the job Allardyce has gone.

For me Sean Dyche - at least if we get relegated there would be a case for not changing the manager as he has an excellent record in the championship. Won't happen of course, pretty sure our new manager will be currently unemployed. 

Obviously Trent is a well respected ITK - But I don't think even fox and co would be that stupid. Id be putting money on Garde not lasting the season TBH

A "disastrous appointment" based on what exactly? Have you read anything about him? 

Yes his teams are prone to defensive lapses. (google it)

I think there is a bit of positive filtering going on here - sure he has his good points - but he's being built up as a managerial guru, which he isn't - Sure he's got to champions league - but qualifying via a much weaker league than the prem. 

lets face it his major attraction to the Villa Board is that he is currently unemployed 

Remi Garde IMO would be a disastrous appointment, I'm pretty much 100% he would relegate us.Thanks to Tom Fox's willingness to give Sherwood 2 more games (why, oh why ?) the most able guy for the job Allardyce has gone.

For me Sean Dyche - at least if we get relegated there would be a case for not changing the manager as he has an excellent record in the championship. Won't happen of course, pretty sure our new manager will be currently unemployed. 

Obviously Trent is a well respected ITK - But I don't think even fox and co would be that stupid. Id be putting money on Garde not lasting the season TBH

I see Garde as no more a risk than Moyes, Rodgers etc difference is we know what Moyes and Rodgers can do. I would take either of those 3 although in my opinion Garde may be a done deal.

If we're going fully fledged with the continental approach then we might as well get a continental manager who will be used to working under that kind of set up.

CN'Z, player manager?

Our recent record with British players/managers is pretty bad.   Clearly they means they don't suit villa and we shouldn't bring any new ones in.   That rules out most of the other names suggested on here.

I've noticed that they are all men too, clearly men don't suit Villa so we shouldn't bring any new ones in.

Come to think of it, they'd all have two legs too. Monoped's only from here on in.

Heather Mills?

• Like 4

Pete Colley seems to think it will be Garde because Moyes and Rodgers wont work under Almstadt who is going nowhere apparently

Or alternatively Moyes wants to stay in Spain and Rodgers is having a break. The British media is a disgrace.

• Like 1

Garde to come in & not only save us from relegation but push us up to 12th , next season we have a storming one and finish 6th and we start to dream again. Garde then gets chosen to replace the retiring Wenger  and we go again.*

You heard it hear first

*may or may not happen.

Edited by dounavilla

Garde to come in & not only save us from relegation but push us up to 12th , next season we have a storming one and finish 6th and we start to dream again. Garde then gets chosen to replace the retiring Wenger  and we go again.*

You heard it hear first

*may or may not happen.

To be honest - that is entirely plausible. If we do employ him and he is successful, I'm sure we would be a stepping stone to better things for him. But I'd be quite happy with that, as it means we've at least been successful for a period of time!

That is going to be the case for any managers or players we recruit, unless we have Ian Taylor as manager and 11 Ian Taylors on the pitch!

Edited by GeordieVillan

I have read two critiques of him now. One extolled his virtues, the other was lukewarm about his abilities. Also a preponderance of people saying we would be lucky to get him. But I have little faith in the British managers mentioned, and if they are unwilling to work under our new structure, which I think is the future, then, to me, they come across as football dinosaurs.

On balance, I would be disappointed if we do not get Garde, so I am happy with his appointment if it happens.

• Like 2

Hypothetically, given that 75-80% of us on this forum seem to be happy with the appointment of Garde - if it doesn't work out - are we all going to give the board a pat on the back and say "well they tried their best and appointed a guy that we all thought was a good choice, so its not their fault", or will we turn on the board and blame them for making another terrible choice....

My recollection of Lambert is that most were happy with the appointment, and the only criticism of the board was that they stuck with him too long when things just weren't working out, but I think the mood of the fans has changed since then, and we are alot less patient with managers now.

Hypothetically, given that 75-80% of us on this forum seem to be happy with the appointment of Garde - if it doesn't work out - are we all going to give the board a pat on the back and say "well they tried their best and appointed a guy that we all thought was a good choice, so its not their fault", or will we turn on the board and blame them for making another terrible choice....

My recollection of Lambert is that most were happy with the appointment, and the only criticism of the board was that they stuck with him too long when things just weren't working out, but I think the mood of the fans has changed since then, and we are alot less patient with managers now.

What do you mean 'we are a lot less patient'? GeordieVillan OUT!

• Like 1

Yeah, everyone was happy with the Lambert appointment.

McLeish and Sherwood weren't popular ones, though.

I think the former manager's ability to talk (and talk and talk) while produce nothing but strange lineups and substitutes (or no substitutes) is where the patience ran thin.

The next manager just needs to keep his mouth shut and get on with it and I think the patience will return.

• Like 1

Garde is not the man that can save us from relegation. People are excited because he is a foreign manager that sounds exciting. Because he is a good french Ligue 1 manager does not necessarily make him a right fit for the club. What players would he bring in January? we need Premier League Experience. Our problem is that we are an easy team to beat because the squad are mentally weak, we need a manager that can make us a difficult team to play against, and give us that ruthlessness home and away.

David Moyes is the man to that, we need to get the basics done and start getting clean sheets, we can score goals but we cannot defend. I hope that this pure speculation and that David Moyes is being lined up as our new manager.