Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Probably a silly question, but a US president can seemingly sign executive orders to make changes. Why not make sweeping changes to gun control under executive order?

Presumably executive orders can't override the actual constitution. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Presumably executive orders can't override the actual constitution. 

The right to bear arms is extremely vague though, controlling the sale and distribution of weapons would not remove the right.

7 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The right to bear arms is extremely vague though, controlling the sale and distribution of weapons would not remove the right.

The Supreme Court would strongly disagree with you.

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

The Supreme Court would strongly disagree with you.

A majority of the same court would support turning the US into a Christian theocracy so the country should probably consider making them an extinct institution.

50 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A majority of the same court would support turning the US into a Christian theocracy so the country should probably consider making them an extinct institution.

Oh, absolutely. 

On 27/05/2022 at 03:32, KentVillan said:

Forgetting all the bad faith stuff (politicians in the pay of the NRA) and conspiracy theory cranks, what are the best arguments in favour of US gun ownership / gun laws? Like how do you get inside the head of the people who might be persuadable?

The ones that make the most sense to me are...

• America is a massive, largely rural country and it could take ages for the police to respond to a home break in. Can understand why someone living in the middle of nowhere might fancy having a gun lying around for self defence.
  • Gun ownership is so high already that it would take years to reverse it. The gun control policies that work in other parts of the world would brush up against the reality of a massive black market of guns. You can see an element of this in places like Chicago, where gun control policies fail because illegal gun ownership is so high.
  • Mass shootings & school shootings, while almost unique to the US, are still extremely rare events. 99.999% (or whatever) of people and communities will never be affected by them.

I can see how an intelligent, sensible person could pull a pro-gun position out of that line of thinking. I'd still disagree, but it makes some sense.

What I cannot understand at all is how you can justify making military-grade weapons capable of rapid fire available... and how you can justify not having any checks in place on motivations, mental health, criminal record, etc.

Hunting and competitive sports shooting are the only two reasons that jibe with me.

Require restrictions on both including mental health checks and safe storage and transportation laws. It isn't complicated - guns are completely illigal in maybe 20 countries world wide, and most of those are small.

On 28/05/2022 at 01:30, Nicho said:

I think the "sensible" arguments for gun control are easily debunked. There really is no other reason for having a gun than they like and want them. In this country if you want one you can have one.

Just on the arguments above:

• If self defense against bears, cougars ect is your reason im sure under UK rules farmers ect could have one on similar grounds. Its justifiable and mangeable. 
  • The argument that it is hard to do so dont do it is a standard failing in business, as is this is how weve always done it. I assume it fails in Chicago as their is general production still happening for the states/cities that dont have strict laws. It needs to be a nation solution not a city one, that has proved to work all around the world. 
  • 27 school shootings (not sure if mass) this year in the US, 147 days in that is one every 5.4 days. There have been 214 mass shootings in the US so 1.4 a day. It is not a rare event. 

I know they werent your arguments.

I do think the loud gun lover is a vocal minority all be it a passionate one with a gun, not sure what they would do if people came to take their guns off them. Civil war was said by Hannety et al. 

**** the consitution. 

Hunting isn't on this list. It's also legal in most countries, including the UK. 

Firearms owners aren't a monolithic group - there are plenty who think the US laws are batshit crazy. I would argue that world wide they make up the vast majority in thinking the lack of restrictions and regulations is just a recipe for disaster.

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Only three dead? Boring. 

It's becoming that,  isn't it? Perhaps not boring, just becoming numb to it. I lived close to an airport, at first I thought the noise was horrific, after a while I didn't notice it.

On 03/06/2022 at 19:56, Vancvillan said:

Hunting isn't on this list. It's also legal in most countries, including the UK. 

Firearms owners aren't a monolithic group - there are plenty who think the US laws are batshit crazy. I would argue that world wide they make up the vast majority in thinking the lack of restrictions and regulations is just a recipe for disaster.

This is probably true, world wide. Anecdotally, my step dad owns a firearm for small game hunting. It is stored safely in a, well, safe and I’ve never actually seen it. He would certainly agree US gun laws are mental. I have no particular issue with that type of gun ownership. 

Sadly, I’m not sure the majority of US gun owners go in the same category. A lot of them seem to be not merely gun owners, but gun enthusiasts and gun fetishists. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, El Zen said:

A lot of them seem to be not merely gun owners, but gun enthusiasts and gun fetishists

Just one random example of thousands of similar pics on the internet. Why doesn't it make them shudder like it does me?  

DdvIOjrVMAIR_vK.jpg

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, colhint said:

It's becoming that,  isn't it? Perhaps not boring, just becoming numb to it. I lived close to an airport, at first I thought the noise was horrific, after a while I didn't notice it.

I Googled it to see what happened and saw there was a church shooting in iowa last week with "only" 2 people killed, didn't even make the discussion 

The weekly report of how many shot in Chicago is saying 18 injured 1 dead, quiet week, last weekend caused a bit of a stir because 50 were shot including 9 killed

50 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just one random example of thousands of similar pics on the internet. Why doesn't it make them shudder like it does me?  

DdvIOjrVMAIR_vK.jpg

That little cutie with her pistol can't be too far away from her first assault rifle. Melts your heart :) 

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

DdvIOjrVMAIR_vK.jpg

Shocking sight but nothing surprises me anymore.  I wonder how long it’ll be until we here that America are having some kind of purge like the movie series? Probably be in our lifetime. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

DdvIOjrVMAIR_vK.jpg

At least they're dressed for the funeral.

Â