Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Just one random example of thousands of similar pics on the internet. Why doesn't it make them shudder like it does me?  

DdvIOjrVMAIR_vK.jpg

OK, that's it.   If you're going to insist on sharing with everyone I'm striking you from my Christmas card list.

• Haha 1

The chance of an “active shooter” is a realistic part of everyday life in the US.

Absolutely crazy. 

I don’t think anything will change until an immediate relative of the president or very, very senior politician is gunned down going about an everyday task (and even then it’s not a given).

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

The chance of an “active shooter” is a realistic part of everyday life in the US.

Absolutely crazy. 

I don’t think anything will change until an immediate relative of the president or very, very senior politician is gunned down going about an everyday task (and even then it’s not a given).

Kennedy and Reagan say hi!

I know they are slightly different circumstances, but they’ll be cited by one side or the other and possibly cited as the case for not changing anything. If we didn’t change the law after Kennedy, why the hell would we change it after the assassination of President Eric Trump? 

I find it sad that it's so common they have the terminology "active shooter" 

And if that raised the question "well what would you call them?" that's kind of the whole point... We don't have common known terminology for them because we don't have them, I'm not sure we'd know what to call them in the event 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I find it sad that it's so common they have the terminology "active shooter" 

And if that raised the question "well what would you call them?" that's kind of the whole point... We don't have common known terminology for them because we don't have them, I'm not sure we'd know what to call them in the event 

and schools and businesses have protocols and procedures to follow in the event of an active shooter.

Here in the UK the closest thing is probably the bi-annual checking of the fire alarms.

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I know they are slightly different circumstances, but they’ll be cited by one side or the other and possibly cited as the case for not changing anything. If we didn’t change the law after Kennedy, why the hell would we change it after the assassination of President Eric Trump? 

Yes I agree, but I was more thinking along the lines of someone not necessarily a high profile figure like the Eric Trump or the presidents themselves. To a degree they will be targets.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone very powerful’s relative getting shot in a random act like at school or the shops… but even then possibly not.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Are you suggesting a leading cultural or political figure being gunned down would require more than thoughts and prayers? 

If they don't care or do anything when kids are shot then I'm not sure they ever will 

I think one of their own kids getting shot might be food for thought, possibly.

To be fair in that controlled environment I'd love to give that a go and they can introduce gun controls without ever stopping yanks from being able to do that 

One of them at home though? There's absolutely no justification for someone owning one of them 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

and schools and businesses have protocols and procedures to follow in the event of an active shooter.

Here in the UK the closest thing is probably the bi-annual checking of the fire alarms.

H&S officers trying to get everyone outside in an orderly manner.

12 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It would be interesting to see where these shootings are happening geographically.

I'd imagine most would be in the South East, with a couple in Vegas and a bunch in Chicago. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States_in_2022

This is a list of shootings in the United States that have occurred in 2022. Mass shootings are incidents involving several victims of firearm-related violence. The precise inclusion criteria are disputed, and there is no broadly accepted definition

They're all over the place

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

If president Eric Trump was assassinated it would probably be the first time in 200 years that a gun was used for its constitutionally intended purpose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â