Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

On 15/04/2020 at 07:26, PussEKatt said:

Is that because the schools are all closed down ?

It's because Trump stopped allowing people to fly into the US from China on January 31*, an unprecedented move for a President and something for which he should be getting unprecedented credit for instead of all the criticism about not doing the states' jobs for them in buying ventilators and test kits.   Strong borders, now more than ever!

*except for the 40,000 or so that have been allowed in since then.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

160 people were shot dead over the holiday weekend. Over 500 people were injured. Lots of separate incidents over a large country, but in a country that is not at war over a single weekend it seems a lot. The casualties include kids as young as 7. 

It's not really even news. 😟

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Straggler said:

160 people were shot dead over the holiday weekend. Over 500 people were injured. Lots of separate incidents over a large country, but in a country that is not at war over a single weekend it seems a lot. The casualties include kids as young as 7. 

Staggering. It's "not really even news" because they are almost all black and the bulk of the bloodshed is in Chicago. They're mostly young people too, who know that society at large has no use for them. 

• Like 1

A 4yr old girl was shot in the head by her 5yr old brother near here yesterday, accidentally of course. Somehow her injuries are not reported to be life threatening! No hint of either mom/dad being charged with negligence.

Gun owners should be required by law to insure their weapons.

59 minutes ago, villakram said:

A 4yr old girl was shot in the head by her 5yr old brother near here yesterday, accidentally of course. Somehow her injuries are not reported to be life threatening! No hint of either mom/dad being charged with negligence.

Gun owners should be required by law to insure their weapons.

I am not 100% convinced they should be allowed to get the kids back tbh.  It's slightly different to a bruise on the upper arm or frequent visits to A&E becasue so and so keeps falling out of trees ? If half his head is missing then that's a slight step up.  I mean what do you say.  "I was making sure the house was protected and that's why so and so can't wear a hat properly."  

I thought the guns were in a safe type thing at home ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am not 100% convinced they should be allowed to get the kids back tbh.  It's slightly different to a bruise on the upper arm or frequent visits to A&E becasue so and so keeps falling out of trees ? If half his head is missing then that's a slight step up.  I mean what do you say.  "I was making sure the house was protected and that's why so and so can't wear a hat properly."  

I thought the guns were in a safe type thing at home ?

There are more guns than people in the USA. The chances of all of them being stored responsibly are vanishingly small. The law as it is requires the gun seller to provide a locking storage for the gun but there is no requirement to use it. The law does not apply to private sales and there are a bunch of other loopholes. Basically there is more hole than regulation. Roughly half of all civilian owned guns are stored unsecured. So that will be something like 170 million unsecured guns. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

That's **** nuts. Not really sure what to say. Mental. 

It's impossible to square the circle: if the gun is securely locked away it is of no use as a fast response against an intruder. If it is to hand in the bedside drawer for self defence, it is a lethal risk for children or a temptation in a domestic argument. 

• Like 4

The one thing that's hard for me to understand is how civilians still are able to purchase military grade rifles. 

There's no argument I've ever heard that in any way holds water, which leads me to think it's a pure NRA lobby thing. 

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The one thing that's hard for me to understand is how civilians still are able to purchase military grade rifles. 

There's no argument I've ever heard that in any way holds water, which leads me to think it's a pure NRA lobby thing. 

In case they ever have to rise up and sort them out, to make sure the military don't have an advantage Chad from kentucky should be able to get his hands on the same guns as them

I shit you not 

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In case they ever have to rise up and sort them out, to make sure the military don't have an advantage Chad from kentucky should be able to get his hands on the same guns as them

I shit you not 

Yeah I've heard that arguement from the neighbourhood watch nutters, but I can't say that is an arguement that is reasonable. Crazy country of uneducated imbeciles. 

• Haha 1

Â