Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

• 4 weeks later...

New York's attorney general has announced a lawsuit aimed at dissolving the powerful National Rifle Association over alleged financial mismanagement.

Letitia James said the NRA had diverted millions of dollars to leaders including its head, Wayne LaPierre, for their personal use.

"For these years of misconduct we are seeking an order to dissolve the NRA in its entirety," she said.

The NRA described the lawsuit as a "baseless, premeditated attack". 

What did the Attorney General say? 

Ms James said that the four named defendants - Mr LaPierre, Wilson Phillips, Joshua Powell and John Frazer "instituted a culture of self-dealing, mismanagement and negligent oversight at the NRA that was illegal, oppressive and fraudulent".

The attorney general outlined a litany of charges against the defendants, but accused Mr LaPierre, long the face of the powerful gun lobby group, of being the "central figure" behind the organisation's wrongdoings.

One example of misconduct alleged in the lawsuit states that Mr LaPierre visited the Bahamas more than eight times by private plane using funds intended for the NRA, for a total cost of $500,000 (£380,225). 

The corruption "is so broad", Ms James said, that total dissolution of the organisation is necessary.

Responding to questions, Ms James, a Democrat, rejected the notion that the charges against the NRA - closely tied to the Republican party - were at all influenced by her own politics. 

"We followed the facts and the law," she said. "We've come to the conclusion that the NRA unfortunately was serving as a personal piggy bank to four individual defendants."

Would be a shame if the NRA was dissolved.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53684033

WTAF

The mother of a Florida pupil taking her first day of online lessons was killed while her 10-year-old was doing a Zoom call with her class, police say.

The shooting occurred on Tuesday at 08:00 local time (13:00 GMT) in Indiantown, Florida, and was witnessed by five other children in the home.

According to investigators the girl's teacher heard arguing and was able to mute before the fatal shots were fired.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53758746

• 2 weeks later...

The latest Police Shooting in Kenosha USA is pretty sickening to watch.   Shot 7 times in the back whilst his children were in the car.  I can see the argument that he could have been reaching for a hidden weapon in the car.   But putting 7 bullets into his back at point blank range?  

This is what happens when criminals can get hold of guns so easily.  Cops become trigger happy and shoot based upon an assumption that every person might have a gun.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The latest Police Shooting in Kenosha USA is pretty sickening to watch.   Shot 7 times in the back whilst his children were in the car.  I can see the argument that he could have been reaching for a hidden weapon in the car.   But putting 7 bullets into his back at point blank range?  

This is what happens when criminals can get hold of guns so easily.  Cops become trigger happy and shoot based upon an assumption that every person might have a gun.   

and there’s a glaringly obvious solution which they won’t even entertain the idea of having a discussion about.

• Like 4

Absolutely nuts the latest police shooting. Saw it on twitter. Think it was 5 shots, not 7, but either way. 5 shots into a persons back, point blank range and could easily have been deescalated by other means. Lost for words. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Absolutely nuts the latest police shooting. Saw it on twitter. Think it was 5 shots, not 7, but either way. 5 shots into a persons back, point blank range and could easily have been deescalated by other means. Lost for words. 

It’s crazy scenes.

This is different to the George Floyd incident in that he acted in a way that risked getting killed. Of course the police didn’t need to shoot him several times, but when you climb into your car like which could potentially be to reach for a gun then you risk getting shot. 
Also, how did he survive it???

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

It’s crazy scenes.

This is different to the George Floyd incident in that he acted in a way that risked getting killed. Of course the police didn’t need to shoot him several times, but when you climb into your car like which could potentially be to reach for a gun then you risk getting shot. 

The problem is, climbing into your car or not complying with police shouldn’t result in you getting shot.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s crazy scenes.

I just think this high lights how dangerous it is when the police first reaction to deescalation is reaching for their gun. If this had been in Norway or most other countries, I suspect the police officer would simply have dragged the man backwards, then taken control of the suspect,  instead of panicking holding a gun. 

Like I've said to others before, I really really question the training these police officers go through. Comes across like complete amateurs. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The problem is, climbing into your car or not complying with police shouldn’t result in you getting shot.

No they should be tasered providing adequate warning is given that if they continue to get in the car/not comply with the instruction that will be the consequence.  Hundred percent agree they should not be shot

Edited by Follyfoot

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It shouldn’t, but it does in the US because of the prevalence of guns and he would have known that but still did it.

I’m certainly not excusing the police officer but I dare say it is probably the taught action to take (maybe not quite so many shots though).

Tasering would be a far more sensible option, but I suspect (could be wrong) that in this scenario where the police office can’t see if he’s getting a gun then shooting is the course of action they are told to take. 

Edited by Genie

The amount of shots makes it even more absurd. Who the hell empties a magazine (exaggeration, but still) in the back of someone they are trying to restrain. Like what the actual ****. You'd use less shots if you actually tried to kill the person. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

It shouldn’t, but it does in the US because of the prevalence of guns and he would have known that but still did it.

I’m certainly not excusing the police officer but I dare say it is probably the taught action to take (maybe not quite so many shots though).

Tasering would be a far more sensible option, but I suspect (could be wrong) that in this scenario where the police office can’t see if he’s getting a gun then shooting is the course of action they are told to take. 

Which is the problem 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Would you taser someone that hasn't been physically confrontational? I see use of Taser more as a last resort to people who are a danger to the officers themselves or the public. 

I’m really not trying to come across sympathetic to the cop here, but that guy could swing round with a gun and blow his head off for all he knew. Adrenaline and heart racing. The setup in the US is completely wrong, but given the culture out there I expect the police officer may get into trouble for using so many bullets, but not for the act of shooting the suspect. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

That's part of a police officers job though. Any suspect MIGHT be nuts and do something, it doesn't mean they should act according to what may be the worst possible outcome. If so the general consequences would be mental. 

If you can't keep your nerve, and you can't deescelate a situation without shooting someone. Maybe, just maybe, the job isn't for you. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Which is the problem 

I have no idea but do they not have psychological testing/stress testing or the like in America for anyone who is allowed to carry and or discharge a gun in the police force? There appears to be far too many instances of this type of action to suggest whatever Is in place is fit for purpose 

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I have no idea but do they not have psychological testing/stress testing or the like in America for anyone who is allowed to carry and or discharge a gun in the police force? There appears to be far too many instances of this type of action to suggest whatever Is in place is fit for purpose 

Or it's the standard approach.

Â