The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Could put this in various threads, but anyway...

I daren’t imagine the devastating impact Mr Anderson’s absence will have on the tournament.

A Conservative MP has vowed to boycott England’s games in the European Championship over players’ decision to take the knee before matches.

Lee Anderson, the MP for Ashfield in Nottinghamshire, said that by taking the knee the England team was supporting a “political movement” and risked alienating “traditional supporters”.

“For the first time in my life I will not be watching my beloved England team whilst they are supporting a political movement whose core principles aim to undermine our very way of life,” he said in a Facebook post.

Guardian link

Edit - I see it has indeed been posted in the other football section too.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

On 03/06/2021 at 22:15, HanoiVillan said:

I guess I should have already piped up by now with my usual reminder that the House of Lords is an (unnecessary) sewer of corruption right in the heart of British public life.

And so far out of touch it's unreal. Hardly anyone of them would know how much a bottle of milk is.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Could put this in various threads, but anyway...

I daren’t imagine the devastating impact Mr Anderson’s absence will have on the tournament.

Guardian link

Edit - I see it has indeed been posted in the other football section too.

It took me all of ten seconds to find this...

MP claims Gary Lineker is 'virtue signalling' and should put up migrants in his own home

'It's the liberal left again, virtue signalling, trying to say all the right things'

Notts Live

EDIT: One might suggest that Lee Anderson MP is nothing more than a tinpot racist word removed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In news that will Shock absolutely no-one, Hat Mancock caught lying #1325763

Matt Hancock denies claiming to have ‘thrown a protective ring around care homes’ despite saying it live on TV

Health secretary insists notorious statement came ‘much later’ - but footage shows he claimed to have acted ‘right from the start’

Indy

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Gerrymandering of constituency boundaries about to deliver the Tories another 5 seats on the last election vote. Seems to be a thing for Right wing Parties on both sides of the pond. Expect photo ID, to combat non existent fraud, to be next on the agenda.

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Gerrymandering of constituency boundaries about to deliver the Tories another 5 seats on the last election vote. Seems to be a thing for Right wing Parties on both sides of the pond. Expect photo ID, to combat non existent fraud, to be next on the agenda.

It's not gerrymandering though. Gerrymandering means politicians - or their parties - picking their own lines. In the UK, the Boundary Commission chooses the boundaries. The next question is 'are the parameters set by the government for the Boundary Commission unfair', and I don't think so particularly. The idea of equalising constituency sizes is messy, but it does follow a basic principle of democratic fairness, that one vote should not be worth more than another.

It is true that the government may be slightly advantaged by population growth in the English countryside and the opposition slightly disadvantaged by population decline in the south Wales valleys, but it's not unreasonable to update boundaries to reflect where people actually live.

On the other point you made, about ID nonsense, I agree with you that they're talking about bringing it in, but I'm not sure how far they'll go with it (I'm not sure they realised when they started pushing the idea that the main group without photo ID are pensioners). Time will tell I guess.

On the topic of constituency boundaries:

The West Midlands maps can be found here: https://boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk/review2021/2021-06-08_Initial_Proposals_Mapbook_West_Midlands.pdf (very large pdf)

Several W Midlands constituencies see no changes at all: Burton / Cannock Chase / Sutton Coldfield / North Warwickshire / Nuneaton / Coventry NW / Bromsgrove / Worcester / West Worcestershire. Wyre Forest also sees no boundary changes, but will now be called Kidderminster.

From the maps, the main oddities are that Stourbridge has become weirdly shaped, taking in Netherton and other areas Dudley-side of Merry Hill; Blackheath has been removed from Halesowen and Rowley Regis (now Halesowen, and probably much less competitive) and added to a new 'Smethwick and Rowley Regis' seat that also eliminates Warley; Selly Oak is awkwardly split across two constituencies; and Walsall seems to be going down to only one seat, though I haven't checked how different the actual boundaries are there.

Edited by HanoiVillan

Pretty depressing though. It'll be framed across the media as "Brussels dictates that keeping sausages out of Northern Ireland is more important than the fragile peace" and the credulous halfwits who vote for them will gormlessly nod along.

Â