The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not sure that's true tbh The USA seems more obsessed with our Royal Family than we do and it's been that way as long as I can remember, irrespective of the current Team Meghan situation

Maybe I'm inventing a distinction that isn't there, but I think there's a difference between being interested in them *as celebrities*, much as you would be interested in Oprah or LeBron or Tom Cruise, and being interested in them *as a political figurehead*, as in putting a picture of the Queen in a frame on your wall.

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe I'm inventing a distinction that isn't there, but I think there's a difference between being interested in them *as celebrities*, much as you would be interested in Oprah or LeBron or Tom Cruise, and being interested in them *as a political figurehead*, as in putting a picture of the Queen in a frame on your wall.

When American she was enthused by their celebrity, now she's British, she's full on royalist nutjob because she now has further ownership of the brand

• Like 1

Does anyone else find the One Britain, One Nation stuff terrifying? I assumed it was some far right nutjob organisation trying to press their latest path to authoritarianism but it's actually coming through officially from the DfE.

Getting kids at school to sing "Strong Britain, Great Nation" is a bit.. err.. creepy

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

When American she was enthused by their celebrity, now she's British, she's full on royalist nutjob because she now has further ownership of the brand

Yes, that sounds like a plausible account of her progression.

I still find it weird it though; I know quite a few Americans and Canadians living in the UK, some of whom have now taken British citizenship, and I absolutely cannot imagine any of them thinking this was anything other than deeply weird and cringeworthy behaviour.

I guess this is the point of embarrassing yourself on social media as a display of party loyalty though; for a signal to be meaningful, it has to be costly, so you can't get points for being a good party apparatchik willing to do anything demanded of you unless you really actually embarrass yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Getting kids at school to sing "Strong Britain, Great Nation" is a bit.. err.. creepy

Whose idea was it? Private Pike, I guess as he's the Sackhimtuary of state for Education?

It's laughable rather than creepy, IMO. Just utterly ridiculous numbskullery. Ridicule the fool. Mock the c0ck!

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s all laughable. 

Isn’t it?

Absolutely. idiotic tosh in place of actually serious governing. Bunch of absolute charlatans, grifters, fraudsters and utter tools.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, blandy said:

Whose idea was it? Private Pike, I guess as he's the Sackhimtuary of state for Education?

Original idea by Kash Singh

Kash Singh is the Chief Executive and Founder of One Britain One Nation (OBON). As Chair and founder of the British Indian Association, he was responsible for bringing together thousands of people from diverse backgrounds.

In his professional capacity he was a senior police officer in the rank of Inspector with the West Yorkshire Police. In over two decades of police service, he has gained much experience in working with people from all backgrounds. In 2006 he was nominated to lead the most challenging and sensitive area of Manningham in Bradford. In 1995 and 2001 this area saw riots which were described as the worst disorder ever witnessed in mainland Britain.

It has then been jumped on by the Union Jack Tub Thumpers in the Baby Eating Party

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Give the people what they want. Maybe everyone should be entitled to a free flag to hang out of their windows too. 

I have had my fill of flag rocket polishers here in Spain. It's everywhere—people with lame little wristbands, flags out of windows, flag ribbons on bags and baby carriages, hanging from their cars. I'm in Madrid though and it has a reputation for being particularly bad here. It's interesting, in fact, comparing the right wing in Spain, a lot of whom are very nostalgic about Franco and unashamedly so, I see some signs of where this very hard right version of the Tories are trying to take the UK. Spain has deep deep rooted problems when it comes to tribal politics, and I fear that Brexit has given rise to similar forces. It's not about right or wrong any more. It's not about the truth. It's about what team you're on.

One of the examples of a guy with a Spanish ribbon on his backpack also, not coincidentally, had an iron cross tattoo on his calf.

Apologies Genie, I went off on one there! But you mentioning free flags triggered a few fears.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

flag rocket polishers here in Spain. It's everywhere—people with lame little wristbands, flags out of windows, flag ribbons on bags and baby carriages, hanging from their cars.

Is any of that related to there are men doing football at the moment, in the Europe 202? tournaments. It seems to be the case round here, in Lancashire.

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

Is any of that related to there are men doing football at the moment, in the Europe 202? tournaments. It seems to be the case round here, in Lancashire.

Nah, it's a constant thing. Flag wanking, flags out of windows and balconies, with mini side flags alongside, attached to all the things I mentioned, is a huge thing for a certain section of the hard right in Spain, and it seems to be a big group with a lot of kids and your average people falling alongside. I've become strangely fascinated by it. And I'm afraid for the UK with this particular government!

Edited by Rolta
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rolta said:

Nah, it's a constant thing. Flag wanking, flags out of windows and balconies, with mini side flags alongside, attached to all the things I mentioned, is a huge thing for a certain section of the hard right in Spain, and it seems to be a big group with a lot of kids and your average people falling alongside. I've become strangely fascinated by it. And I'm afraid for the UK with this particular government!

This is maybe slightly off topic, but I kind of don't mind if one section of (any) society likes flags and queens and whatever, or another likes free-range mung bean collectives, or likes central third way mumbo-jumbo - whatever floats your boat, so to speak. There's room for more than one view or take or set of interests. I mean for example in the USA, near America, there are people from all parts of the spectrum happy doing flag stuff, without being OTT.

But while that's all fine, I think you're right to be worried about a particular strand of nationalism, which is less about celebrating the good things about (any) nation and more about knocking anything which doesn't conform to a narrow mindset - the closing off of thought and minds and borders and ideas and stuff.

Anything that says "let's celebrate the good things about our country" is fine by me, it's just when it gets to "them over there, they're not like us, not as good as us, nasty foreigners, sneer at them" is where it turns bad. In the UK the Tories are definitely turning that way, I hope Spain's different.

Part of it comes from the EU, I think - this huge project that seems out of touch with people living their lives, which only celebrates things which people can't touch or feel - like "we did this trade deal, or we did this regulation, or we agreed this policy" and kind of misses all the examples of how stuff has happened that is tangible - "the water is clean now" is better as a selling point than "agri-grants for cheese growing are up 5% compared to 19-eleventy three". It's all too distant and hard to sell, but easy to criticise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

MY first reaction was that Cummings has leaked that to the SUn

Me too, maybe DC is in the process of leaking the 15-20 things he should have been sacked for one by one.

Â