The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

A sexually incontinent man, a known proven compulsive liar, that has no coherent ideas and is the puppet of Cummings advertises for a person to answer his questions for him.

In the same week, having said he would end cronyism, he makes Lords of his brother, his financial backer, his Brexit supporter mates and Ian Botham.

Ian Botham is now part of the legislature, deciding on the finer points of the laws of the country. Sat alongside Kate Hoey and Evgeny Lebedev, a man who’s money comes from when his ex KGB dad ‘bought’ a Russian bank. Now I know we mustn’t condemn on the sins of the father, but the guy is a dual UK/Russian national with media interests and his money comes from the 90’s KGB mafia take over of Russian utilities. I’m sure there was some sort of an issue with that recently?

It’s important we keep taking the piss out of those crazy Americans, yeah?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wonder who it is, need to research which ones are in their fifties but gonna be a lot 

Some outlets are saying former MP, others are saying current and prominent 

He’s a current MP and former minister.

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

re the Lords system..

How can you have a check and balance 2nd chamber that's directly appointed by the current pm; it's madness

That was the change Blair brought in wasn’t it? Who could have foreseen it being a problem 😳

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

That was the change Blair brought in wasn’t it? Who could have foreseen it being a problem 😳

nah, governments of all hues have stuffed the Lords with their own since forever.

The change Blair bought in was reducing the number of hereditry peers to 92

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

re the Lords system..

How can you have a check and balance 2nd chamber that's directly appointed by the current pm; it's madness

If we start from the argument of Stafford Beer that 'the purpose of a system is what it does' then the purpose of the House of Lords is not providing 'checks and balances', which it barely does and is forbidden from doing too much of. The main purpose of the House of Lords in Beer's terms is to provide Prime Ministers with a place to reward people for various things without having to deposit money in their bank accounts. In other words, it is the open centre of corruption in British politics, and all the government did this week was make that more explicit than usual, because this government is more shameless about corruption than usual (how is Jenrick still in a job?).

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

the purpose of the House of Lords is not providing 'checks and balances', which it barely does and is forbidden from doing too much of

I know the Lords discussion has been done over and over again and you make a reasonable point about how much it is allowed to provide some sort of check and balance but, whilst it may not be doing this to a satisfactory level - I agree - and you feel anything it may do is outweighed by being the centre of corruption in British politics (though I think the executive and cabinet are having a good go at competing for the prize currently as you acknowledge re: Jenrick), it does provide at least some sort of check and balance.

In a system where there is very little check on executive power, we need to be very wary about simply dismissing institutions that may provide a little of it even whilst allowing for clear and obvious criticisms of those institutions.

We find ourselves in a position where any potential check or balance of unbridled executive power is under attack from the executive (from laws to judicial review to select committees to procedures in parliament to Cabinet government to ministerial advisors being directly accountable to No. 10 advisors, &c.).

I'm not sure it helps the fight against that to tear down something which, even in its present increasingly troubling state, may be able to provide some sort of check.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

I know the Lords discussion has been done over and over again and you make a reasonable point about how much it is allowed to provide some sort of check and balance but, whilst it may not be doing this to a satisfactory level - I agree - and you feel anything it may do is outweighed by being the centre of corruption in British politics (though I think the executive and cabinet are having a good go at competing for the prize currently as you acknowledge re: Jenrick), it does provide at least some sort of check and balance.

In a system where there is very little check on executive power, we need to be very wary about simply dismissing institutions that may provide a little of it even whilst allowing for clear and obvious criticisms of those institutions.

We find ourselves in a position where any potential check or balance of unbridled executive power is under attack from the executive (from laws to judicial review to select committees to procedures in parliament to Cabinet government to ministerial advisors being directly accountable to No. 10 advisors, &c.).

I'm not sure it helps the fight against that to tear down something which, even in its present increasingly troubling state, may be able to provide some sort of check.

As you say, I suspect that we agree on a number of the problems (the prevalence of corruption in British politics, that the House of Lords does not provide an adequate check on executive power, the shamelessness of the current government, that a better system would see the legislature gain power at the expense of the executive) but we obviously have a different perspective on how this could be addressed. I understand your concern about what would happen by abolishing the Lords, but I suppose I have a more 'aggressive' posture in that I think the harms caused by the Lords are caused by its very existence at this point, and that as such abolition is the only path that would actually address those weaknesses.

Don't worry about repeating these conversations - I'm game as long as you are. Realistically, I know I'm not going to shut up about it 🙂 Sadly, they are happening in a purely hypothetical world anyway.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I understand your concern about what would happen by abolishing the Lords, but I suppose I have a more 'aggressive' posture in that I think the harms caused by the Lords are caused by its very existence at this point, and that as such abolition is the only path that would actually address those weaknesses.

I think it just pushes us further along the road to a position of almost absolute executive power without particularly solving anything. The corruption won't go away - it may be less brazen but I'm not sure about that given the performances of this current lot.

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Is this someone not on the tory payroll unironically using the "But the previous Labour government" defence?  :) 

10 **** years.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 1

Â