The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Then once the homes of of 'high risk communities' have been demolished just think of the potential for developers to move in and build more desirable accomodation. We will probably need to subsidise the building work with tax payers money in these unprecedented times, but we are all in this together and we should help out.

In return the builders can make 5% of the homes affordable so the displaced community can move back in if they still have jobs, have survived Covid19 and able to get a mortgage of 20 times their wage.

Steve Bannon hails Dominic Cummings and predicts lurch to right for No 10

Steve Bannon, who has previously backed a range of notorious far-right political figures, has publicly endorsed Dominic Cummings for the first time, calling him a “brilliant guy”.

Donald Trump’s former chief strategist also said that Boris Johnson will become an increasingly populist prime minister after jettisoning his political positioning as a “globalist” to “opportunistically jump on Brexit”.

But Bannon, who helped mastermind Trump’s successful bid for the presidency, reserved his highest praise for Johnson’s most senior aide.

“A brilliant guy. I think Cummings is very smart where he puts his efforts. What I like about him is he has the ability to focus on the main things,” Bannon said, hailing the Downing Street strategist for his role in Brexit and Johnson’s 2019 election triumph.

The comments were made during interviews for a book to be published on Thursday which investigates how unaccountable money, lobbying and data has reshaped British politics.

Written by Open Democracy journalist Peter Geoghegan, Democracy for Sale documents how dark money has corrupted the democratic system and features several interviews with Bannon, although his comments on Cummings – made earlier this year – came too late for inclusion.

Bannon has fostered extensive links to global far-right nationalist movements in an attempt to unite “the Judeo-Christian West”. He has also described UK Islamophobe Tommy Robinson as the “backbone” of Britain, defended Viktor Orbán, Hungary’s nationalist prime minister, and praised anti-immigration French politician Marine Le Pen, among others.

However, Bannon refused to say if he is currently advising the UK’s prime minister or has met Cummings. Last year evidence emerged suggesting close links between Johnson and the man who led Trump’s 2016 campaign. Bannon even claimed to have crafted speeches for the prime minister.

The interviews throw up key similarities between Bannon and Cummings. Chief among them is the desire to reform the UK civil service. Bannon advocates demolishing it entirely, arguing the “administrative state needs to be taken apart brick by brick”.

Dismantling the UK civil service is one of Cummings primary ambitions. At the end of June its head,Mark Sedwill, quit with Cummings reportedly then telling colleagues that “a hard rain is coming” for the service.

Another common theme emerges with Bannon’s views on Brexit. “There is one choice: hard out, no deal. It won’t be disruptive,” says Bannon, who was fired as a top adviser to Trump in 2017 following white supremacist protests in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Cummings is believed to have privately championed a no-deal outcome and the EU’s chief negotiator recently revealed that the two sides were “still far away” from agreement with less than three months to go before a 31 October deadline.

Grauniad

Yay for Tory Brexit!

36 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Then once the homes of of 'high risk communities' have been demolished just think of the potential for developers to move in and build more desirable accomodation. We will probably need to subsidise the building work with tax payers money in these unprecedented times, but we are all in this together and we should help out.

In return the builders can make 5% of the homes affordable so the displaced community can move back in if they still have jobs, have survived Covid19 and able to get a mortgage of 20 times their wage.

This cynicism seems warranted, doesn't it. The proposed solution is sufficiently irrelevant to the actual problem to assume it's just shit they wanted to do anyway, and are taking advantage of the emergency to get it.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Presumably we're miles past the point where incompetence turns into corruption, yes?

Is there like a list somewhere of all these dodgy deals?

Seems every time I open this thread there's talk of another one. I'd love to see a collection of how many there are.

What would you do if you were PM for a day?

Anything, anything at all, what would be your go to thing to fix on your one day as PM?

This is this week’s leader of the tories in Scotland:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Far more refreshing than trying to end famine and promote world peace

I think the point is, you can do anything at all. You have immense power. There is a pandemic gripping the country, there is brexit, beirut, localised poverty in towns and cities. What would you do if you were the man in charge. Um, get rid of the gypsies from the playing fields. He is basically setting his aspirations at local councillor. 

That said, reading back I missed the sarcasm. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand how demolishing buildings helps control a respiratory virus. What is supposed to be the logic there?

They talk about the virus like it is a beech-ball sized green thing that has taken over a disused bank and it's looking out from behind a blind.  

At the end of this virus thing there could conceivably be 1000's of empty homes and buildings,  45 k of dead people's homes already.  

This would be a disaster for the Tories and their masters but a once in a lifetime opportunity for the normal people. 

They won't have that at all,  they need people to borrow 3.5 or 4 x earnings so they can never get of the treadmill for 40 years.

The very very very last thing they want is affordable and available housing for the poor,  homeless or ill. 

It will mean house prices could tumble and an over supply means families can't be ripped off by rent or ridiculous house prices,  this really goes against the Tory grain so too speak IMO.

I might be a bit cynical in my old age but whatever they do there is another subtext that they win or their friends win.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

What would you do if you were PM for a day?

Anything, anything at all, what would be your go to thing to fix on your one day as PM?

This is this week’s leader of the tories in Scotland:

It's not even satire. And it's not surprising.

That's what he daydreams about. That's the difference he wants to make in the world. He has no soul.

Edited by Rolta

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Genuinely don't think I've ever seen a government in which corruption is so blatant and out of control. I guess I'm too young to fully remember the Major years, though I know it was bad then.

And like all the examples of the Tories being self-serving, incompetent, corrupt, it'll disappear into the air as if nothing happened, and the consciences of their supporters will register only a flicker of guilt before they work that cognitive dissonance with some kind of self-justifying pap. 'It would be worse under Labour' etc. etc. There's always an excuse to take no responsibility for who they voted for and for falling for so many BS lines. The cost of their pride is pretty shocking. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Genuinely don't think I've ever seen a government in which corruption is so blatant and out of control. I guess I'm too young to fully remember the Major years, though I know it was bad then.

I think this is both a different sort and different level of stuff.

It won't end, either.

This emergency covid contract stuff will become a template for emergency Brexit stuff; the emergency SI regulations will be the template for emergency post Jan 1 2021 Brexit SIs (and we must remember that they've got enormously wide-ranging powers for secondary legislation due to the leeway given in the primary legislation); the JR review will probably bin the vast majority of JR.

It may not matter much how/if people vote in 2024. By then enough of the dismantling will have been done and the test runs of how to get away with stuff will have been worked through such that it will all be 'normal'.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I just feel numb about all this. None of it surprises or shocks me anymore. All of my friends and family think I'm a crank for getting angry about it so I've learnt to not care any more.

Have they won?

Â