The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's vital that people continue to be named when charged, in so many cases the first naming brings additional victims out and helps ensure convictions.

I think there ought to be legal protections to prevent the situation @NurembergVillan describes though, I think it ought to be illegal to dismiss someone from a role due to anything short of a conviction. 

As i understood it at the time , Plod deliberately leaked the raid on Cliff Richard , for precisely this reason  , they wanted to smoke out loads of victims .. none came forward

its a dangerous road , all be it from an example of one .

flip side would be , imagine someone like this current situation , isn't named , and then commits another attack whilst they are being prevented from being named  and are happily continuing to work

not an easy one  ....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

At the risk of a defending accusation , Can you delete a Twitter account that you've never had ? 

I went onto Facebook and searched him and his Facebook page appears to be  live (albeit no posts since July)     .. they do appear to have removed the link to it from his official homepage though ( off to disinfect my keyboard now)

now it could well be him , but just because someone is a cockwomble ,  nudge nudge wink wink type stuff trying to suggest he is an alleged rapist  without taking the trouble to fact-check is poor form

I'll take this on the chin for reading and sharing without checking (which is unusual for me).

I refute any claims of a nudge nudge wink wink allegation, though.

Any links inferred are entirely coincidental.

52 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You'll be both surprised and also not at all surprised to learn who to thank for not knowing who it is yet:

Edit: Obviously, his opening exclamation is about the nature of the reporting and misreporting rather than a response to your post, i.e. if it's presented as this is the reason then people will assume that's the case, if it's actually the case that there are a number of  reasons (and this one isn't apparently one of them) then I'd guess an exasperated tweet such as the above will be the result.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'll take this on the chin for reading and sharing without checking (which is unusual for me).

I refute any claims of a nudge nudge wink wink allegation, though.

Any links inferred are entirely coincidental.

Yeah sorry didn’t mean to aim the nudge nudge thing at you , more the people that were spreading the general stuff in the first place if you google him...  

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah sorry didn’t mean to aim the nudge nudge thing at you , more the people that were spreading the general stuff in the first place if you google him...  

There's that amazing parody account about him on Twitter which has announced they're taking a few days off too.

As the King of Hubris there are so many things right now that could have seen him caught with his pants down (figuratively speaking) that I wondered if something in particular had caused him to wind his neck in.

56 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

As i understood it at the time , Plod deliberately leaked the raid on Cliff Richard , for precisely this reason  , they wanted to smoke out loads of victims .. none came forward

its a dangerous road , all be it from an example of one .

flip side would be , imagine someone like this current situation , isn't named , and then commits another attack whilst they are being prevented from being named  and are happily continuing to work

not an easy one  ....

I was just listening to something on the radio where a woman had been blackmailed by her ex-partner over photos he’d taken of her.

The police view of it was very interesting. A case with one person against one other may or may not succeed. But it’s rarely the case someone would do something like this as a one off. They persuaded the woman to allow the case to go public, and four other women came forward with similar stories about the same guy.

Five complainants against the one guy stood a far greater chance of something sticking and had a far higher penalty, keeping him off the streets for 10 years instead of of 3.

As you rightly say, it’s a dangerous road. I’m not envious of the people having to make those sort of judgement calls. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

There's that amazing parody account about him on Twitter which has announced they're taking a few days off too.

As the King of Hubris there are so many things right now that could have seen him caught with his pants down (figuratively speaking) that I wondered if something in particular had caused him to wind his neck in.

yeah saw that , I did wonder how many people hadn't realised it was a parody account 

Francois , seems to have taken that account in better humour than he took Will Self  :)

• Haha 1

Yes, it's hard, because sexual offences are a highly emotive topic and to some extent thinking about them seems to be influenced by whether the last high-profile event that made people think about them was a scandal in which someone got away with multiple sexual offences for many years, or one in which a person or people were falsely accused.

LOL. The leaked trade documents that Labour found on Reddit and shared during the election campaign were stolen by Russian hackers . . . from Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Liam Fox's email account:

Exclusive: Papers leaked before UK election in suspected Russian operation were hacked from ex-trade minister - sources

'LONDON (Reuters) - Classified U.S.-UK trade documents leaked ahead of Britain’s 2019 election were stolen from the email account of former trade minister Liam Fox by suspected Russian hackers, two sources with direct knowledge of the matter told Reuters.

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because a law enforcement investigation is underway, said the hackers accessed the account multiple times between July 12 and Oct. 21 last year.

They declined to name which Russian group or organisation they believed was responsible, but said the attack bore the hallmarks of a state-backed operation.

The Kremlin did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday.

Among the stolen information were six tranches of documents detailing British trade negotiations with the United States, which Reuters first reported last year were leaked and disseminated online by a Russian disinformation campaign.

British foreign minister Dominic Raab confirmed that report last month, saying that “Russian actors” had sought to interfere in the election “through the online amplification of illicitly acquired and leaked Government documents”.

Reuters was not able to determine which of Fox’s email accounts was hacked and when it was first compromised. It is not clear if Fox, who is still a member of parliament but stood down as trade minister on July 24 last year in a cabinet reshuffle, was a minister at the time.

[...]

Fox’s email account was hacked using a so-called “spear phishing” message, which tricks the target into handing over their password and login details, the sources said.'

more on link: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-russia-hack-exclusive/exclusive-papers-leaked-before-uk-election-in-suspected-russian-operation-were-hacked-from-ex-trade-minister-sources-idUKKBN24Z1UL

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Based on his conduct from the last five years I'd have expected it to be collusion and selling what he knew to the Russians, rather than the usual Tory incompetence. 

Think you're giving his first 53 years on Earth too much credit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Fox’s email account was hacked using a so-called “spear phishing” message, which tricks the target into handing over their password and login details, the sources said.'

Liam,

Adam here. I've not heard from you for a long time. How are you?

Can I have your login and password, plz,

your sincerely,

A Wearstitty

• Haha 1

The political communications company behind the Conservative party’s controversial 2019 digital campaign strategy received a £3m government contract to work on Covid-19 messaging without a competitive tender and is negotiating with the Cabinet Office for more work...

The Topham Guerin contract sets out the high-level responsibilities of the firm, including that its staff will attend daily meetings at Downing Street or the Cabinet Office, lead the branding strategy and produce social media content.

The contract also said the role would include weekly meetings with the British army’s information unit, the 77th Brigade, “to review fake news mitigation efforts and provide recommendations on further actions to take”.

A Cabinet Office spokesman told the Guardian that Topham Guerin had principally been producing social media messages, and that the meetings with the 77th Brigade never took place.

The Guardian has previously reported that Topham and Guerin, who are in their 20s, worked on huge propaganda campaigns for CTF Partners, run by the Tories’ long-term strategist Sir Lynton Crosby, on behalf of clients including major polluters, the Saudi Arabian government and anti-cycling groups.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/03/topham-guerin-pr-firm-covid-19-contract-conservative-party?CMP=share_btn_tw

Absolutely nothing dodgy about any of this.

£500k per month for putting stuff on Twitter and Facebook?  A bargain at twice the price!

Councils can demolish contaminated buildings under new powers to stop second coronavirus wave

Care homes, factories, offices and even private homes could be bulldozed as last resort if virus starts to run out of control

Local authorities will be able to order the demolition of buildings at the centre of coronavirus outbreaks under draconian powers to contain a potential second wave.

Cars, buses, trains and aeroplanes could also be destroyed subject to the approval of magistrates.

Boris Johnson remains determined to avoid a second nationwide lockdown and has given a broad range of powers to local councils to contain outbreaks as soon as they are detected.

Councils will be able to draw on six separate Acts of Parliament to impose lightning closures of public buildings, order mass testing, ban events or shut down whole sectors of the economy.

They will also be able to limit school openings to set year groups and restrict travel to key workers only.

The power to demolish buildings, however, is perhaps the most striking inclusion in the Government's Covid-19 Contain Framework.

Telegraph

Not sure? Can little critters like rats and squrrels pick it up?

Since most of the measures so far have had to involve tax swerving chums making stacks of cash, I'm wondering if it's a card that will be played to abuse the automatic planning permission?

We'll have to see if friendly magistrates help them out?

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand how demolishing buildings helps control a respiratory virus. What is supposed to be the logic there?

Simple, it puts all the residents on the street which is by definition outdoors. Being outdoors lowers the risk of transmission. The logic is flawless. I can't believe we've not started a campaign of demolishing the homes of all high risk communities to save them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we’re sterilising things by keeping them unused for 72 hours then either that is bollocks and the virus can ‘live’ indefinitely, or this is just another bizarre story.

I can’t imagine, if the virus is so potent it can’t be sterilised, that knocking a building down and creating dust would be a top tier plan to fix it.

Just a huge caveat for me that it’s in a newspaper and they are so ropey these days as to be pointless.

• Like 1

Â