The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Apropos of nothing, Mark Francois has deleted his Twitter and Facebook accounts.

Its strange you should mention that, I was going down the wiki llst of MPs before and gave up looking for what I was searching for when I reached his name

I was about to scoff at the idea of Mark Francois ever having been a minister, but apparently he was Minister for the Armed Forces between 2013 and 2015, and then Minister for Portsmouth from 2015 to 2016. I am somewhat baffled by this later position, and can't help chuckling at Matt Hancock's title when in the role, which was apparently Minister of State for Energy, Business and Portsmouth.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was about to scoff at the idea of Mark Francois ever having been a minister, but apparently he was Minister for the Armed Forces between 2013 and 2015, and then Minister for Portsmouth from 2015 to 2016. I am somewhat baffled by this later position, and can't help chuckling at Matt Hancock's title when in the role, which was apparently Minister of State for Energy, Business and Portsmouth.

Presumably it's in honour of the Pompey Chimes that they always seem to appoint bell ends.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Of course nothing will come off all this because nothing ever does, sadly.

Presumably this is apart from the former Tory MP convicted of multiple sexual assaults last week?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Presumably this is apart from the former Tory MP convicted of multiple sexual assaults last week?

Admittedly I did discount that one, but it is the case that vanishingly low levels of these stories come to much.

Presumably , despite it being the correct thing to do   , wouldn't  removing the whip essentially be the same as naming him under the circumstances ?

Generally speaking though ., for an alleged  ( though I accept VT has already found him guilty) sex crime, should the accused be named ?  I think we've had this discussion before and the general view was yes  , but would be interesting to see the view on this

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Presumably , despite it being the correct thing to do   , wouldn't  removing the whip essentially be the same as naming him under the circumstances ?

Generally speaking though ., for an alleged  ( though I accept VT has already found him guilty) sex crime, should the accused be named ?  I think we've had this discussion before and the general view was yes  , but would be interesting to see the view on this

I believe we should have helicopters circling his home as the police arrive, this should all be broadcast live on BBC news. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Apropos of nothing, Mark Francois has deleted his Twitter and Facebook accounts.

At the risk of a defending accusation , Can you delete a Twitter account that you've never had ? 

I went onto Facebook and searched him and his Facebook page appears to be  live (albeit no posts since July)     .. they do appear to have removed the link to it from his official homepage though ( off to disinfect my keyboard now)

now it could well be him , but just because someone is a cockwomble ,  nudge nudge wink wink type stuff trying to suggest he is an alleged rapist  without taking the trouble to fact-check is poor form

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It would be, which is an unfortunate consequence of working in a high-profile role. But in another job, would you expect someone to remain working as usual if a former colleague had reported them for rape?

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You'll be both surprised and also not at all surprised to learn who to thank for not knowing who it is yet:

It's worth noting it's not a law change, just a change in parliamentary procedure. The police can still name the arrestee if they deem it to be in the public interest. It's typical to only name once charged unless there are exceptional circumstances though. 

Edited by Davkaus

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

As much as I'd love to know who it is, out of nosiness, I don't agree with naming suspects of this sort of crime until AT LEAST they've been charged (if that then means they're suspended from a public role like MP or footballer it becomes obvious, as you say) but probably until convicted.  I have a family member who was tried in court and during the trial the accuser admitted she'd made it all up.  By then his name had been in the papers and he'd lost his job in the RAF.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You'll be both surprised and also not at all surprised to learn who to thank for not knowing who it is yet:

The only thing he's ever had success with.

I think it's vital that people continue to be named when charged, in so many cases the first naming brings additional victims out and helps ensure convictions.

I think there ought to be legal protections to prevent the situation @NurembergVillan describes though, I think it ought to be illegal to dismiss someone from a role due to anything short of a conviction. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

As much as I'd love to know who it is, out of nosiness, I don't agree with naming suspects of this sort of crime until AT LEAST they've been charged (if that then means they're suspended from a public role like MP or footballer it becomes obvious, as you say) but probably until convicted.  I have a family member who was tried in court and during the trial the accuser admitted she'd made it all up.  By then his name had been in the papers and he'd lost his job in the RAF.

yeah same , seems to be some dodgy results on google taking you off to clickbait sites , so presumably we aren't the only two people curious to know :)

your family member scenario is precisely the concern ,, where the situation is ambiguous is it seems to be the law protects MP's from being named , but not Jo public  (I think?) ... perhaps it needs a  review to protect people but without detriment to victims of such a crime

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Â