The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

They need to find another 13 seats just to recoup what they'll lose in Scotland (all of them I'd imagine). They're also likely to lose a fair proportion of the 21 they hold in London.

I'm concerned about the poorer areas of the north east and West Midlands. A lot of those guys voted heavily for Brexit and I think they're likely to swing from Labour to the NF party and LibDems.

I think the opposition parties are right to try and paint him as a sexist/raging sex pest. If they can destroy his relationship with Female voters (no pun intended) that might be enough to undermine him.

They haven't got much left to get in the Midlands. The following seats have LAB majorities under 5,000:

• B'ham Northfield
  • (Dudley North - obviously Austin is no longer LAB)
  • West Brom West
  • Wolverhampton NE
  • Wolverhampton SW

There are a few with slightly larger LAB majorities, but those are the most realistic targets. 

In the North East, the following seats have LAB majorities under 5,000:

• Bishop Auckland
  • Darlington
  • Stockton South

It's hard to see how their potential gains in these two can even cancel out their losses in Scotland, to be honest (though of course there are more potential gains in Yorkshire and the North West as well). 

23 minutes ago, snowychap said:

There seem to be some cracking clips coming from the main conference:

Ah good, Johnson has the personality and pizzazz to get brexit done... because that what was missing, not a workable plan... I feel better now... 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's hard to see how their potential gains in these two can even cancel out their losses in Scotland, to be honest (though of course there are more potential gains in ... the North West as well). 

I just had a quick scan, I think there are potentially 6 that could go from Con to Lab in extreme circumstances and one possible from Lib to Con. There are far more seats that could go from Con to Lab. In other words the conservatives are protecting more marginals than they are attacking if that makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

They haven't got much left to get in the Midlands. The following seats have LAB majorities under 5,000:

• B'ham Northfield
  • (Dudley North - obviously Austin is no longer LAB)
  • West Brom West
  • Wolverhampton NE
  • Wolverhampton SW

There are a few with slightly larger LAB majorities, but those are the most realistic targets. 

In the North East, the following seats have LAB majorities under 5,000:

• Bishop Auckland
  • Darlington
  • Stockton South

It's hard to see how their potential gains in these two can even cancel out their losses in Scotland, to be honest (though of course there are more potential gains in Yorkshire and the North West as well). 

All that, plus a lot of the south-west is apparently expected to go from blue to yellow as well. Five of the Lib Dem's top fifteen target seats are Tory held West Country constituencies.

I just can't see where all these votes / seats are coming from. In 2017 the Conservative vote share jumped from 36% to 43% while the UKIP vote slumped by virtually the same amount. 

The issue of "do I care more about Brexit than I do about Labour" was a discussion point in 2017, and was broadly answered as "I want to leave, but not if it means a Conservative government"

So who are these hundreds of thousands of voters who are needed to give Johnson his hypothetical majority, who didn't vote UKIP or Conservative last time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Let's just pull up the drawbridge and live on turnips, shall we? 

Question time would be brilliant though, Turnip based hardships with Baldrick & Steve Bruce on the panel for starters + a representative from the troll community obviously.

I'll admit it's not that much to look forward too.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I was astonished the other day to see that Middlesbrough has a Tory MP.

Why on earth is Middlesbrough voting for Tories?!

Middlesborough has been Labour since it's inception as a seat in 1974. I thiiink you mean Middlesborough South and East Cleveland (shift from Lab to Con in 2017 - seemingly because no UKIP candidate stood)

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Four years old, that clip. I’d imagine the sentiment would be displayed with fuller force now. 

Ah -  Ta - Specified Manchester this week with the search. 

Stills of the current protest.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Middlesborough has been Labour since it's inception as a seat in 1974. I thiiink you mean Middlesborough South and East Cleveland (shift from Lab to Con in 2017 - seemingly because no UKIP candidate stood)

Yes. A Tory MP in Middlesbrough. There should barely be a Tory in the Northeast, but Middlesbrough (be it South or any other part of the area) is one of the most deprived places in the country. Tories should be anathema to them.

Â