The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

My inner thigh was squeezed so high up, I flinched. Boris, of course

Boris Johnson has been accused of squeezing a journalist’s thigh beneath the table at a private lunch — and doing the same to the woman sitting on his other side.

Charlotte Edwardes reveals today how the prime minister put his hand “high” up her leg and had “enough inner flesh beneath his fingers” to make her “sit suddenly upright”.

Afterwards she confided in the young woman sitting on Johnson’s left, who replied: “Oh God, he did exactly the same to me.” Edwardes dubbed the prime minister “the double thigh-squeezer”.

Paywall for the rest of the article...

Matt Hancock and Amber Rudd seem to be defending the journalist too...

Picture emerges of Corbyn attending funeral of Palestinian several years ago: press go into overdrive.

Johnson reportedly shags foreign national, she is given favours and privileges from public funds to which she does not seem to be entitled, well, let's not rush to judgement here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peterms said:

Picture emerges of Corbyn attending funeral of Palestinian several years ago: press go into overdrive.

Johnson reportedly shags foreign national, she is given favours and privileges from public funds to which she does not seem to be entitled, well, let's not rush to judgement here.

It’s all over the pages of Murdochs Sunday Times, the Heil and others. I call your point a miss. I’m actually surprised because I’d have expected you to be right. The media, even the Tory media can see the way the wind is blowing. 

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

My inner thigh was squeezed so high up, I flinched. Boris, of course

Paywall for the rest of the article...

Matt Hancock and Amber Rudd seem to be defending the journalist too...

The gross thing about this story is that you can already see the 'Berlusconi defence' coming together where people say things like 'well he's always been indiscreet' or 'he's never pretended not to be a ladies' man' or shit like that, helping to diminish any one instance of gross behaviour *because* it's part of a larger pattern.

• Like 4

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

The gross thing about this story is that you can already see the 'Berlusconi defence' coming together where people say things like 'well he's always been indiscreet' or 'he's never pretended not to be a ladies' man' or shit like that, helping to diminish any one instance of gross behaviour *because* it's part of a larger pattern.

It’s okay, he has bedshaped hair and a cheeky smile, we love that shit don’t we?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s all over the pages of Murdochs Sunday Times, the Heil and others. I call your point a miss. I’m actually surprised because I’d have expected you to be right. The media, even the Tory media can see the way the wind is blowing. 

I see there's a piece on the Vőlklischer Beobachter that you can find by searching, basically saying it's nothing, he's a bit of a lad, should keep his cock under control.

Edited by peterms
sp

I'm sure that it's nothing more than a coincidence that the #10 press operation has gone into overdrive to deny the "Prime Minister didn't squeeze the leg of a young prospective journalist" story, but has basically no-commented the "tax payer funds used to bribe the ex-model for sex" story.

I'll take nothing from those reactions at all.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I'm sure that it's nothing more than a coincidence that the #10 press operation has gone into overdrive to deny the "Prime Minister didn't squeeze the leg of a young prospective journalist" story, but has basically no-commented the "tax payer funds used to bribe the ex-model for sex" story.

I'll take nothing from those reactions at all.

And BBC radio has fallen in line, giving prominence to the leg-squeezing and downplaying the corruption.

One is a crass and tacky illustration of his attitude and approach to women, the other is a story of corruption and the misdirection of public funds, a criminal offence if proven.  They are not remotely of equivalent importance.  The BBC must understand this, and yet is following the direction the spin doctors would want them to.

23 minutes ago, peterms said:

And BBC radio has fallen in line, giving prominence to the leg-squeezing and downplaying the corruption.

One is a crass and tacky illustration of his attitude and approach to women, the other is a story of corruption and the misdirection of public funds, a criminal offence if proven.  They are not remotely of equivalent importance.  The BBC must understand this, and yet is following the direction the spin doctors would want them to.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with one outrage being more important than the other tbh. Should the journalist have said nothing? Both are big stories imo. One shouldn't be downplayed at the expense of the other

Question:  25 Billion on infrastructure will increase the GDP of the country by a certain percentage artificially (Post Brexit) to try to show all is fine but I am on to their little plan?

(As in,  if you have a country with 1 bloke and a bridge,  he rebuilds it every month so it looks like he is using and producing loads when actually he could have done nothing)?

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with one outrage being more important than the other tbh. Should the journalist have said nothing? Both are big stories imo. One shouldn't be downplayed at the expense of the other

I really can't see the leg incident as a similar level of seriousness as the reported corruption.  One suggests he's a sexist, entitled, oafish arse (which won't be news to anyone, though the specific incident will be), the other suggests he's someone who will commit criminal acts as an abuse of elected office for his own gratification.  Yes, both should be reported on.  His entourage will have calculated that the leg-grabbing may be damaging to his perception among women (though we've seen with Trump supporters that they will happily ignore such things), while the other should lead to a demand for his removal from office and criminal prosecution.  They will welcome the focus being on the less serious incident, but the media should be following up the corruption story relentlessly, and not allowing themselves to be distracted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

I really can't see the leg incident as a similar level of seriousness as the reported corruption.  One suggests he's a sexist, entitled, oafish arse (which won't be news to anyone, though the specific incident will be), the other suggests he's someone who will commit criminal acts as an abuse of elected office for his own gratification.  Yes, both should be reported on.  His entourage will have calculated that the leg-grabbing may be damaging to his perception among women (though we've seen with Trump supporters that they will happily ignore such things), while the other should lead to a demand for his removal from office and criminal prosecution.  They will welcome the focus being on the less serious incident, but the media should be following up the corruption story relentlessly, and not allowing themselves to be distracted.

One is a  "victimless crime" the other has a victim (or two to be more precise). Both are bad, equally as bad. One says he's a sex pest the other says he's corrupt

Â