The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yep.  They're buggered under Rishi Rich. 

But replacing him this late in the show is equally farcical.

They're a busted flush.

Hopefully flushes enough to discharge all the "toxic waste" out through the Thames and out to sea, never to be seen again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Genie said:

This feels a bit like the last days / weeks of Boris.

It feels more like the fall of the Roman Empire. I seriously think we're living in a period that will be studied by political historians for a very long time 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

It feels more like the fall of the Roman Empire. I seriously think we're living in a period that will be studied by political historians for a very long time 

Coincidentally, the main “character” whose influence is all over this historical period likes to quote latin at every possibility.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Coincidentally, the main “character” whose influence is all over this historical period likes to quote latin at every possibility.

Caeci caecos ducentes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Caeci caecos ducentes.

I’m not sure about that.

More like bullshitting grifter lowers stands for what constitutes acceptable behaviour of public officials.

Posted (edited)

The tories will be bigging up the UK's 0.6% growth in the last quarter for all of its worth. That is still anemic and overall we are still the slowest growing economy in the G7. 

On all major standards- disposal income, home prices and rents,  fuel poverty, life expectancy,  and general health and wellbeing, we are going backwards.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

The Tories looking to proscribe any organisation that uses illegal means to protest. That historically would have made the suffragettes illegal. The Tolpuddle martyrs would be turning in their graves. 

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

The Tories looking to proscribe any organisation that uses illegal means to protest. That historically would have made the suffragettes illegal. The Tolpuddle martyrs would be turning in their graves. 

Well obviously I'm against it but it’s a knee jerk reaction to the Just Stop Oil nonsense.

I’ve got nothing against people protesting using illegal means but trying to damage the Magna Carta requires all kinds of mental gymnastics to justify it. Gluing yourself to Shell HQ and similar, go ahead, it makes sense. Trying to damage the historical document that is the origin of western liberal democracy that started the whole process that gives you the right to protest and a fair trial takes a special kind of arsehole.

Clearly I'm not in favour of proscribing any of these organisations but if they carry on doing dickheaded things, there will obviously be a push back from government, especially the Tories.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We already have laws that punish that behaviour though 

This has always been one of my hobby horses. It's like punishing a football club if individuals who claim to support them misbehave. Organisations are too amorphous a concept, they change their names and philosophies all the time. Punish the perpetrator, end of. 

• Like 4

Sunak speaking about a dangerous few years ahead. Same fella who was threatening to leave the ECHR to get a couple of hundred people a year sent to Rwanda.

Of all the things the Tories have zero credibility on, this could be the biggest.

And the Minister for Common Sense has been in post for 6 months by my reckoning and its taken her this long to....

Esther McVey, the “minister for common sense”, has said she will crack down on diversity initiatives in the civil service, including banning the wearing of rainbow lanyards.

McVey, who was appointed to Rishi Sunak’s cabinet as a minister without portfolio, said civil servants should be leaving their political views “at the building entrance” and that there should not be a “random pick and mix” of causes on security lanyards.

“They should be a standard design reflecting that we are all members of the government delivering for the citizens of the UK,” she said in a speech to the Centre for Policy Studies. “We need to stop the inappropriate back-door politicisation of the civil service, which diverts time and resources from that focus on the public....

Guardian

Yes, this is definitely common sense and just what the public are concerned about.

NUTTER!

Why are they all so concerned about being kicked out of Parliament if they get arrested for serious sexual or violent crimes? I thought Rishi was all about ensuring integrity and accountability?

Some of the quotes in the article are absolutely startling. Some Tory MPs very openly fear that it would affect them. Wonder why?

Edited by wishywashy

Banning people from Parliament who have been arrested presents some serious problems for democracy. The evidential bar for an officer to make an arrest is spectacularly low, it can amount to an accusation has been made.

This is yet more woke up this morning and had an idea shite and is completely anti democratic. 
Want to disrupt democracy? Go and make an accusation about a big bunch of MPs

Nope, stupid idea

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think the important caveat here is that it isn't an automatic ban, @bickster, it simply gives an independent (supposedly) panel the power to intervene if it's thought necessary, there will be a risk assessment on a case by case basis

It's not independent, it’s a committee of MPs as determined by the speaker. How will they decide any of this? They'll surely need to examine the evidence or are they just taking the Police's word for it? That again has the potential to prejudice any future trial and the current investigation.

Nope, sorry but arrest is just not a high enough bar.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Banning people from Parliament who have been arrested presents some serious problems for democracy. The evidential bar for an officer to make an arrest is spectacularly low, it can amount to an accusation has been made.

This is yet more woke up this morning and had an idea shite and is completely anti democratic. 
Want to disrupt democracy? Go and make an accusation about a big bunch of MPs

Nope, stupid idea

Totally agree, mate. The countries going to hell in a handcart, gotta stop this wokeness 

• Haha 2

Â