Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

It would be great for us if Liverpool & Spurs really "Dicked" Newcastle today & next week.

Only thing I'm worried about regarding Newcastle is that I'm not sure if it's better for us if Shhhhhhhteve gets the sack or not.

7 hours ago, villarocker said:

We need to realise that these players aren't good enough and that the transfer committee messed up big time. 

Based on the past 4 games (since Garde came in), our best 2 players by a mile have been Ayew and Veretout, followed by Gana. Injuries withstanding, our other stand out performers this season have been Richards and Amavi, and probably Hutton. So I would say 5 out of our 6 best players this year have been new signings, so I don't see how that can be blamed on the transfer committee, or in particular our Summer transfer activity. Lescott has been disappointing, Gestede average, Adama hasn't really had a chance (yet), likewise llori and Crespo.

I still don't believe that our squad is one of the worst 3 in the league - we are missing a dominant centre forward, but otherwise we've got enough of a blend in our squad to put together a decent. This year has seen a bit of an awakening in terms of Gil and Grealish - we all wanted the team be built around them, but neither is consistent enough for that to be the case, certainly not having them both in the same team.

Our problem remains, aside from confidence, that we still don't know our best team, and by "we" I mean the management and also the fans. It seems as though Garde has decided on his midfield 3, with Veretout as no.10 - and I think he's showing himself to be reliable at the minute, and his set pieces alone add alot of value compared to the last few years. Sanchez is the one who worries still, he's a liability at times.

The back 4 - I don't think anyone is safe, except Richards perhaps.

As for the front 3, Ayew picks himself right now, and alongside that I expect to see Sinclair and Gabby against Arsenal. I would like to see Adama instead of Sinclair now, but perhaps he isn't trusted yet. I just don't think Sinclair is doing enough going forward.

We are not out of it yet, but we are needing a point at least at Arsenal to keep what little momentum we have going before our key games. We've allowed another 4 games to pass without winning since Garde came in - we desperately need a win from somewhere just to make mission impossible seem possible.

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

I think Swansea are the ones to catch, even though they're 8 points away. We can catch up with Sunderland and Newcastle, but if we want to be out the bottom 3 I think it's Swansea we'll have to drag in, when we play them in March it could be as big a '6 pointer' as there has ever been.

The bottom 6 are all still in this. We just need to start getting results now so its 3 teams from 6, rather us plus 2 teams from 5.

Newcastle have 10 points (11 if they draw with Liverpool) - there's no way they will be thinking they can't catch Swansea in 15th who have 14 points.

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

We need amazing form from here on in to give ourselves a chance. We need 32 points from 23 games, that's nearly Europe form we need. I hope the players have the capacity to do it

Not true. You are working on the basis that we need 38 points, but its entirely plausible that we might need less than 38 points to survive.

Bournemouth currently have 13 points from 15 games, so based on that trajectory they would finish on 33 points - so we would need 34 to survive.

I'm not saying that we can get 28 points from 23 games, but thats 8 wins and 4 draws. We definitely have draws in us under Remi, we've shown that already. If we can win 2-3 games before out of the next 6 or 7, then who's to say its impossible to win another 5-6 from the remaining 17.

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Last season we went into a streak of 6 loses twice. 

We went into a run of 2 goals in 11 games.

After we came from losing 6 we drew 3 times. One of them was against Southampton which could be similar to this apart from this being away.

We played against Southampton and West Ham for draws and got them. It gave us confidence even with the missing oppurtunity against Burnley to win two in Bounce away to Palace and Leicester at home. Then get back to one of the worst run in history. 11 games around 3 points and two goals.

What helped us were 10 points in 4. Then 9 points in 5.

We could get it from certain fixtures during the season. Last season we had them early. Now we need to collect them. What im saying is tgat confidence is being built. If we get somehow sneak a draw next game it would be a big bonus and a boost.

And talking about Leicester. They had 8 points in the bag first 4 or 5 games. Then only 2 points during their run towards the new year. We are collecting solid points under Garde. Apart from Watford who wont takes two points from City at home and Everton Southampton away. Luck had helped us for 20 minutes which helped our mental problem and built some confidence.

When talking about last season, I think you need to take into account benteke and delph. We don't have anyone who can win games on their own like benteke did or anyone who can perform at the level delph did.

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

They're a point off 8th and 2 points off 6th. Seems a bit odd to deny that they're a top 8 team when they've finished in the top 8 in the last two seasons and are basically there or thereabouts right now.

Maybe, but that's still an incredibly tough task for a team without a win since August. Drawing with Southampton was hardly a missed opportunity. Perhaps if we'd lost I could see your point.

If you ignore everything, drawing isn't a missed opportunity. But being 1-0 and them missing a hatful of chances made it an opportunity to get those 3 points that we desperately need. We chose to accept the point rather than push for all 3. With our situation and how the game developed I think it was a missed opportunity. One we won't get many of this season.

We need a prolific goal scorer to keep us up like Bent did in 'that' season. I'm losing hope, but there are alot of shite teams around us. Newcastle, Sunderland and Bournemouth could easily take our place towards the end of the season, when squads drop off.

Shite Newcastle 1-0 as I speak

For as shit as they've been and for as few points as they have this Newcastle team is pretty good, certainly got enough quality to put a run together and end up mid table, think realistically they were never going down

Watching this I'm more worried about our ability to beat them in a couple of weeks, maybe makes it less of a must win for the , I think they should bear us comfortably, that midfield vs ours...

the only club who i see going down at the moment is us. all the rest are showing me enough to make me think they will survive apart from maybe norwich who are on a bad run. i also think bournemouth with all their injuries will probably not be strong enough to stay up but if they carry on playing like they are they could stay up.

• Like 1

Â