Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

I Don't make up the catchment areas
The Government refers to an area centred on Milton Keynes as the 'Milton Keynes and South Midlands growth area'. This area comprises the whole of Bedfordshire, the whole of Northamptonshire, and parts of Buckinghamshire (the districts of Milton Keynes and Aylesbury Vale). 

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yup, I see a lot of excuses as to why we're not winning and I feel these will keep getting rolled out until we're down. 

Saying that we did well to get a point away at a top 8 side while we're rock bottom of the league and in possibly the worst form in living memory isn't making an "excuse". Stop rolling out this "excuses" nonsense.

• Like 1

I know this is a forum, so we value opinions, but there is no prize for "I told you so" negativity. 

We are a third of the season through and not so far adrift. We have a new manager (could be a positive or not) so we, along with Sunderland have rolled that dice early, we have a new squad of players getting used to each other and yes, improving. We have slow but upward trajectory.

There are more teams than usual looking like they could be relegated: Sunderland, Newcastle, Bournmouth, Swansea and Norwich struggling and all look like they could still fall flat yet. The whole league has an unorthodox look with Leicester* still looking good value at the top (and we probably gave them the biggest scare this year so far) and the usual suspects distracted or faltering, no break away top 4 like usual. So who is to say we couldn't beat or draw with Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea. (Have you seen Swansea's next 5 fixtures?)

We haven't had much luck this season, we are due it, but could argue yesterday was that day? We are also showing some spirit and far from being broken.

We have a transfer window to come, and an owner who has deep enough pockets to spend what is needed.

We have Ayew.

If we could avoid defeat against Arsenal, who knows what might happen?

*Before you feel sorry about being a Villa fan,  imagine how poor old Jordan Veretout must feel about his career decision! probably would be earning more at Leicester too...

Edited by thunderball

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

A Leicester city ST holder i'm friends with, consistently said last season that the results didn't reflect the way they were playing and that they deserved more. 

Very different to us being fortunate getting 2 points from 4 games. 

We've showed absolutely nothing this season to suggest we're capable of putting a run of results together. 

We should've beat Watford last week. We had way more chances but bad defending and low confidence cost us badly! We also deserved more points whilst we had Sherwood but his inept management cost us Leicester away being a prime example. So who's to say we won't go on a similar run as they did? After 19 games they had 13 pts so from the next 4 we need 7 to match it but picking an arbitrary date to try yo prove a point is silly we need another 30 pts by May simple as that. It's going to be hard but we need to keep the faith especially with the games have coming up. Our run till the end of Jan is huge! 

I don't think we've been unlucky at all. If anything we deserve less points. The win against Bournemouth, and draws against Citeh and Southampton were all incredibly lucky. Deserve to be bottom where I have no doubts about us being come the end of the season 

29 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Saying that we did well to get a point away at a top 8 side while we're rock bottom of the league and in possibly the worst form in living memory isn't making an "excuse". Stop rolling out this "excuses" nonsense.

Just to clarify, they're 12th, and were level with 13th place West Brom before yesterday.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Just to clarify, they're 12th, and were level with 13th place West Brom before yesterday.

And Chelsea are 14th, doesn't mean we should be disappointed with a point at Stamford Bridge (inb4 Bournemouth). The point was that Southampton have been a top 8 team for a couple of seasons and are likely to finish there again, not that they're currently in the top 8.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

And Chelsea are 14th, doesn't mean we should be disappointed with a point at Stamford Bridge (inb4 Bournemouth). The point was that Southampton have been a top 8 team for a couple of seasons and are likely to finish there again, not that they're currently in the top 8.

You can't just focus on where they finished last season and ignore current form.

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

You can't just focus on where they finished last season and ignore current form.

Indeed, they lost their last three games, including a defeat to Stoke and a 6-1 annihilation against Liverpool (with Southampton playing a strong team in that game). Of all the times to play Southampton away and get three points, this was the time. 

19 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

We need amazing form from here on in to give ourselves a chance. We need 32 points from 23 games, that's nearly Europe form we need. I hope the players have the capacity to do it

They don't. 

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Indeed, they lost their last three games, including a defeat to Stoke and a 6-1 annihilation against Liverpool (with Southampton playing a strong team in that game). Of all the times to play Southampton away and get three points, this was the time. 

Are you suggesting losing to Stoke makes a team poor ?

55 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

They're a point off 8th and 2 points off 6th. Seems a bit odd to deny that they're a top 8 team when they've finished in the top 8 in the last two seasons and are basically there or thereabouts right now.

53 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Maybe, but that's still an incredibly tough task for a team without a win since August. Drawing with Southampton was hardly a missed opportunity. Perhaps if we'd lost I could see your point.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

They're a point off 8th and 2 points off 6th. Seems a bit odd to deny that they're a top 8 team when they've finished in the top 8 in the last two seasons and are basically there or thereabouts right now.

Maybe, but that's still an incredibly tough task for a team without a win since August. Drawing with Southampton was hardly a missed opportunity. Perhaps if we'd lost I could see your point.

We have to win sometime and this includes winning against the likes of Southampton, and games like yesterday represented an opportunity for that, given their form.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

We will need to beat Southampton in April that's for sure.

Hopefully it will be one of those games when they're safely in mid table so have the flip flops on. Look back to Everton and West Ham games last May when both were safe and barely attacked for an hour.

43 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We have to win sometime and this includes winning against the likes of Southampton, and games like yesterday represented an opportunity for that, given their form.

I think you're massively overstating the opportunity. Watford for example was a far far bigger opportunity.

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think you're massively overstating the opportunity. Watford for example was a far far bigger opportunity.

If we had beaten Watford then a point yesterday is a great result. As we lost, then one point yesterday just isn't enough. 1 point from those 2 games is dismal

• Like 4

Last season we went into a streak of 6 loses twice. 

We went into a run of 2 goals in 11 games.

After we came from losing 6 we drew 3 times. One of them was against Southampton which could be similar to this apart from this being away.

We played against Southampton and West Ham for draws and got them. It gave us confidence even with the missing oppurtunity against Burnley to win two in Bounce away to Palace and Leicester at home. Then get back to one of the worst run in history. 11 games around 3 points and two goals.

What helped us were 10 points in 4. Then 9 points in 5.

We could get it from certain fixtures during the season. Last season we had them early. Now we need to collect them. What im saying is tgat confidence is being built. If we get somehow sneak a draw next game it would be a big bonus and a boost.

And talking about Leicester. They had 8 points in the bag first 4 or 5 games. Then only 2 points during their run towards the new year. We are collecting solid points under Garde. Apart from Watford who wont takes two points from City at home and Everton Southampton away. Luck had helped us for 20 minutes which helped our mental problem and built some confidence.

• Like 2

Â