Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

All this talk of other teams is relatively irrelevant. It's largely in our hands and is all whether WE are capable of getting to 35-40 points. We are now as many points from safety as we've got all campaign, but it's also 'only' six points. Forget records etc, is this squad capable of picking up the required points?

Currently my view is no. Not even close. Our defence is arguably the weakest in the league, Lescott, Richardson are awful whilst Clark and Bacuna (defensively) aren't much better. Richards and Hutton are our 'best' defenders yet neither are amazing, Laursen like players. Our midfield is defensively frail with limited passing ability but also has very little bite. If we were to buy only one player in January it'd be a real engine in midfield. We need a Taylor, Petrov or Barry in there. Our strike force is Ayew. Gestede and Gabby offer nothing.

But stay within 6 points of safety AND buy two or three first team players (a RB, Midfielder and a striker) and we MIGHT scrape to safety with a little luck. But then I have no faith Lerner would supply the appropriate funds or wages to get the required quality.

Guzan

Hutton, Okore, Richards, RB

Gana, MF, Veretout

Gil/ Traore,                  Ayew

ST

Subs; Sanchez, Sinclair, Bacuna, Gabby, Westwood, Bunn, Grealish

Still wouldn't set the league alight but might scrape 17th with a little luck injury wise.

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Guys we are in a better position than last week. We had a whole new defensive line although we got lucky first half. But it was a confidence issue which is getting better. Players are growing. The only time we were dire in the last 5 games was Everton.

Thats for us. Although Bournmouth won everyone else have lost Chelsea downwards.

To me its a step by step. We need to be in touch with teams. I could see from the second half we are getting mentally better. Pressure is still there but others as well. Particulary Newcastle and Swansea.

We are one point closer to all teams apart from Bournmouth.

Hopefully Liverpool wins tomorrow.

Next week we have a horrible fixture. But most of the others have the same.

Swansea will have City.

Norwich Everton.

Chelsea Leaceister.

Utd Bournmouth.

Newcastle Spurs.

Watford Sunderland.

The likely one to be won is Watford. Yet hopefully there form continues.

Now the Newcastle game will be horrible to watch. But atleast for me I still have got some FAITH.

Our position is definitly better than last week.

If we could catch up Newcastle and be 19th. It would give us a good boost. Now its a confidence game. 

I can see where you are coming from and admire your optimism but I do have some difficulty in including Chelsea in the equation other than that they have made our position more difficult with their sorry performance against Bournemouth today (who I think we may need to end the season above to stay up). 

If someone had told me we would be 9 points behind Chelsea after 15 games I would have taken that gladly. If someone now told me that after 30 games we would be 18 points behind them I would say we would be all but safe from relegation.They are a team we can forget about when it comes to those that we need to focus on to stay up.

We need to end the season above three of Sunderland, Newcastle, Norwich or Bournemouth for me. Something between 28 and 32 points might do it this season and I hope it ends up being nearer 28 than 32. We have seen some light at the end of what is a long very dark tunnel today but we have a long way to go and we are likely to be in the bottom 3 for most of the rest of the season. What matters is where we are after our last game and until we cannot end the season 17th we all need to share your hope. .      

John.

Im not saying Chelsea are going to get relegated. They will most likely be atleast top 10.

But their confidence are really low atm. They could be where they are beginning of next year.

Many teams in the mix gives you more confidence. If you remember Lambert first season. It was a race between us and Wigan until we dragged Newcastle Sunderland and Norwich with us. It gave us more relief.

For Chelsea Im just talking about the nean time. They have a game against one of the rivals not sure who though. 

Their is one big problem btw, we need to rely on the word remove three times this month !

And everyone knows what they usually do. :)

8 hours ago, John said:

I can see where you are coming from and admire your optimism but I do have some difficulty in including Chelsea in the equation other than that they have made our position more difficult with their sorry performance against Bournemouth today (who I think we may need to end the season above to stay up). 

If someone had told me we would be 9 points behind Chelsea after 15 games I would have taken that gladly. If someone now told me that after 30 games we would be 18 points behind them I would say we would be all but safe from relegation.They are a team we can forget about when it comes to those that we need to focus on to stay up.

We need to end the season above three of Sunderland, Newcastle, Norwich or Bournemouth for me. Something between 28 and 32 points might do it this season and I hope it ends up being nearer 28 than 32. We have seen some light at the end of what is a long very dark tunnel today but we have a long way to go and we are likely to be in the bottom 3 for most of the rest of the season. What matters is where we are after our last game and until we cannot end the season 17th we all need to share your hope. .      

Not to pick on you, but this about how 'this season the points total required to stay up will be lower than ever' comes up every single season, and it's never been true yet. I think the lowest 'required' points total is around 34? It's certainly never been under 30, and I don't think the standard across these teams is so bad that it's likely to be that low for the first time. It's always the same, every year, bad teams pick up lots of points in February, March and April as top half sides flame out and suffer injury crises. The club should be targeting 36 points really, not that I think we have any chance whatsoever of achieving it. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

with bournemouth having a better goal difference we are basically 8 points from safety which is bloody awful and with arsenal next week thats more than likely another game we will lose. dont be surprised if sunderland,bournemouth and norwich pick up points next week, infact id say they are more than likely to get something than we are against arsenal. i also fancy newcastle for a point today.

That Bournemouth result was a real killer and shows why we are going down. We can't hold on leads and look at the fight they show unlike us?? We equalise last week and then go on to lose easily again. Then saints first real chance second half they score.

we can't win at home to save our lives either. Can't see us staying up at all. Even if comes last game of season we are away to arsenal can anyone even see us winning there? Just got to hope we can keep some of the squad together as I think we can come back up at first attempt if we do.

We're not good enough. People seem to think drawing against a Southampton side in awful form is a good result, whilst Bournemouth go and do a job on Chelsea. 

It's very simple, we have to pick up three points against either good or 'top' teams if we are to stay up, that means Arsenal next week, has to be three points!

If we're no more than 2-3 points off of 17th come the end of the month then we have a fighting chance of staying up, else we are going down. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

You know that the majority of those derbies - Walsall, Wolves, Forest, Coventry and Burton - well they will be our toughest games. Why? Because they will be up for it more than us. 

Blues will be different because of their locality and Milton Keynes, well, they're not even in the Midlands. 

Â