Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Stretching the definition of 'derby' a tad there . . . 

20 minutes ago, villarocker said:

You know that the majority of those derbies - Walsall, Wolves, Forest, Coventry and Burton - well they will be our toughest games. Why? Because they will be up for it more than us. 

Blues will be different because of their locality and Milton Keynes, well, they're not even in the Midlands. 

I Don't make up the catchment areas
The Government refers to an area centred on Milton Keynes as the 'Milton Keynes and South Midlands growth area'. This area comprises the whole of Bedfordshire, the whole of Northamptonshire, and parts of Buckinghamshire (the districts of Milton Keynes and Aylesbury Vale). 

19 minutes ago, weedman said:

I see this argument a lot but why? Why do we have to be only 2-3 points off before Jan? We can be in the bottom 3 all season as long as we get out of it on the last day surely?

I know we just make it harder for ourselves with each game we don't win, but we're 7 points off now meaning at some point we need a little run of consecutive wins (looks unlikely on current form, but form changes for every team, every season - except Derby that 1 year but that was just a freak season for them), if we can continue to be 7-8 points off then surely it doesn't matter if we get those consecutive wins this month or next month or for our last 4 games of the season?

There's plenty of time for this to turn around yet, and we do have time for the baby steps right now. Like anyone else I'd rather win the next 4 games and be out of the bottom 3 as soon as possible but if it doesn't happen it's hardly the end is it?

Last season Leicester were virtually down, the last few seasons Sunderland have been virtually down before miraculously saving themselves at the last. We looked doomed last year but in the end stayed up with games to spare. Form changes, it only takes 1 moment sometimes and it's not over until it's over, it's certainly not going to be over by January

We need to close the distance and make life easier for ourselves, this lot are hardly fighters and hardly blessed with quality, we're not going to turn round a massive deficit in Feb, we will be down, we don't even have the quality that Leicester had in key areas, they could rely on Mahrez's brilliance for example. We need to be in touching distance by the end of the month, it's as simple as that. 

19 minutes ago, weedman said: I see this argument a lot but why? Why do we have to be only 2-3 points off before Jan? We can be in the bottom 3 all season as long as we get out of it on the last day surely?

I know we just make it harder for ourselves with each game we don't win, but we're 7 points off now meaning at some point we need a little run of consecutive wins (looks unlikely on current form, but form changes for every team, every season - except Derby that 1 year but that was just a freak season for them), if we can continue to be 7-8 points off then surely it doesn't matter if we get those consecutive wins this month or next month or for our last 4 games of the season?

There's plenty of time for this to turn around yet, and we do have time for the baby steps right now. Like anyone else I'd rather win the next 4 games and be out of the bottom 3 as soon as possible but if it doesn't happen it's hardly the end is it?

Last season Leicester were virtually down, the last few seasons Sunderland have been virtually down before miraculously saving themselves at the last. We looked doomed last year but in the end stayed up with games to spare. Form changes, it only takes 1 moment sometimes and it's not over until it's over, it's certainly not going to be over by January

We need to close the distance and make life easier for ourselves, this lot are hardly fighters and hardly blessed with quality, we're not going to turn round a massive deficit in Feb, we will be down, we don't even have the quality that Leicester had in key areas, they could rely on Mahrez's brilliance for example. We need to be in touching distance by the end of the month, it's as simple as that. 

It's easy to say that now with Mahrez and Vardy setting the league alight, but last season they were bang average until they hit form. This time next year another team could be talking about Villa's great escape with someone pointing out "but we don't have quality players like them, they could rely on Ayews brilliance".

My point is simply how things are going now is not necessarily how they will be going in a few months time. We all want to be out of the bottom 3 now and winning games now but there is plenty of time. I'm sure most of us would be happy if a win on the final day kept us up by 1 point after 4 straight victories despite being turgid all season before that

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, weedman said:

It's easy to say that now with Mahrez and Vardy setting the league alight, but last season they were bang average until they hit form. This time next year another team could be talking about Villa's great escape with someone pointing out "but we don't have quality players like them, they could rely on Ayews brilliance".

My point is simply how things are going now is not necessarily how they will be going in a few months time. We all want to be out of the bottom 3 now and winning games now but there is plenty of time. I'm sure most of us would be happy if a win on the final day kept us up by 1 point after 4 straight victories despite being turgid all season before that

Ran out of likes, but this is very true.

29 minutes ago, weedman said:

A Leicester city ST holder i'm friends with, consistently said last season that the results didn't reflect the way they were playing and that they deserved more. 

Very different to us being fortunate getting 2 points from 4 games. 

We've showed absolutely nothing this season to suggest we're capable of putting a run of results together. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

Looking at the table currently I think Norwich, Bournemouth and Swansea are in a pretty good spot to survive, they have proven that their teams can score goals when needed and their defence though suspect, is nowhere near as dodgy as our shambolic one. Only Sunderland and Newcastle I think have worse teams than us. 

POS   LP CLUB P W D L GF GA GD PTS
11 shim.gif (11) Aston Villa 15 5 4 6 10 19 -9 19
12 shim.gif (12) Everton 15 4 6 5 24 23 1 18
13 shim.gif (13) Stoke City 15 5 3 7 17 20 -3 18
14 shim.gif (14) Sunderland 15 2 9 4 13 23 -10 15
15 shim.gif (15) Crystal Palace 15 3 5 7 18 23 -5 14
16 shim.gif (16) West Bromwich Albion 15 3 5 7 14 20 -6 14
17 shim.gif (17) Queens Park Rangers 15 4 2 9 16 27 -11 14
18 shim.gif (18) Hull City 15 2 7 6 15 21 -6 13
19 shim.gif (19) Burnley 15 2 6 7 10 24 -14 12
20 shim.gif (20) Leicester City 15 2 4 9 15 26 -11 10

Last Season after 15 games. 
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alpaywasawesome said:

Looking at the table currently I think Norwich, Bournemouth and Swansea are in a pretty good spot to survive, they have proven that their teams can score goals when needed and their defence though suspect, is nowhere near as dodgy as our shambolic one. Only Sunderland and Newcastle I think have worse teams than us. 

Bournemouth hardly score any goals.

I accept yesterday was an amazing result for them but I really can't see them going on a massive winning run.

They've also had a relatively kind fixture list so far...had a lot of easy games at home yet have lost to both us and Newcastle so far so they'll have a much harder run of games second half of the season.

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bournemouth hardly score any goals.

I accept yesterday was an amazing result for them but I really can't see them going on a massive winning run.

They've also had a relatively kind fixture list so far...had a lot of easy games at home yet have lost to both us and Newcastle so far so they'll have a much harder run of games second half of the season.

My impression recently has been that Stanislas, King and Gosling have looked quite threatening going forward in their last 3 or 4 games, they've scored 6 goals against Swansea, Everton and Chelsea - that's a pretty good return. I just hope we start banging in more goals because the amount of chances we create every match is pretty limited and we rarely look like scoring. 

Why are we comparing ourselves to Leicester and Derby? You can't compare three completely different teams despite them being in similar positions. There's too many variables.

The only real similarities to make is Team X made a terrible start to the season, then Won/lost Y amount of matches and finished in Zth position.

You can't take into account form or our new young foreign signings or managers or anything like that because the other two were more solidified teams. 

At the end of the day we need to reach at least 40 points. We need 11 wins and a draw or a similar set of results, doesn't matter where from or when we get them. 

Altho I'd rather have them in the next 12 games than the last 12 of the season

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That table shows we're in a worse situation than Leicester were in last season. 

And they didn't get out of it by playing how we did yesterday.

Yes but I'm told that it doesn't matter if we'll still be in this situation further down the line?

Seems to me that the sooner we close the gap the better. The "some point where we need a run of consecutive wins" is now, not later. I don't understand how people can't comprehend this very simple fact. We are not a team of battlers, we are not a team with particularly great mental strength and are certainly not a team with experience at getting out of situations like this. The longer we go on like this, and the longer the gap stays this wide, the more likely we are to be absolutely buried. This gap simply has to be significantly closed by the end of the year. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Yesterday was an improvement I'm guessing. And the Man City game was an improvement. I think Villa will continue to improve as our signings bed in. And that improvement might eventually produce a run of results. Sooner rather than later hopefully, but I think our form so far this season is not an indication of our form going forward.

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes but I'm told that it doesn't matter if we'll still be in this situation further down the line?

Seems to me that the sooner we close the gap the better. The "some point where we need a run of consecutive wins" is now, not later. I don't understand how people can't comprehend this very simple fact. We are not a team of battlers, we are not a team with particularly great mental strength and are certainly not a team with experience at getting out of situations like this. The longer we go on like this, and the longer the gap stays this wide, the more likely we are to be absolutely buried. This gap simply has to be significantly closed by the end of the year. 

But the season doesn't end at the end of the year. So we don't simply have to close it by the end of the year. 

Also, the claim that we need a consecutive run of wins now, not later, is not a fact. Not even a simple one. We need a consecutive run of wins at some point for sure. If we wanted to get top four, we probably should be looking to win every game from now until the end of the season, but provided we score 8 points more than the three teams ahead of us over the course of the rest of the season, then I think we should be alright. 

Yesterday was a good result.

No we needed to win. We're doomed.

Yeah but at least we didn't lose. 

Doesn't matter we're doomed

But at least it was an improvement. 

Too late. Doomed

Are you tossing yourself off through a hole in your pocket?

Dooooooooooomed

I think Swansea are the ones to catch, even though they're 8 points away. We can catch up with Sunderland and Newcastle, but if we want to be out the bottom 3 I think it's Swansea we'll have to drag in, when we play them in March it could be as big a '6 pointer' as there has ever been.

• Like 2

Â