Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

Was reading somewhere today that only 4 clubs in the premier league since 1995 have stayed up after being in our position or worse after 10 games. That does include Crystal Palace and Sunderland in 2013-4 and Southampton in 2012-3, so it may be getting a little more of a possibility in the current premier league, but it does show the scale of the task facing us. People who are saying, we'll be fine if we just get the right manager/ the right back four etc. are living in cloud cuckoo land. It's going to require a total transformation in the attitude, energy and determination of the entire squad. It's going to be a hell of a good manager who keeps us up.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

Was reading somewhere today that only 4 clubs in the premier league since 1995 have stayed up after being in our position or worse after 10 games. That does include Crystal Palace and Sunderland in 2013-4 and Southampton in 2012-3, so it may be getting a little more of a possibility in the current premier league, but it does show the scale of the task facing us. People who are saying, we'll be fine if we just get the right manager/ the right back four etc. are living in cloud cuckoo land. It's going to require a total transformation in the attitude, energy and determination of the entire squad. It's going to be a hell of a good manager who keeps us up.

Yes, I totally agree. Basically, a miracle. 

Apologies to all for stating over the weekend that no other team had recovered from the position we're in. I'd read it somewhere and regurgitated it, turns it wasn't true. 

• Like 1

I'm one of those that thinks our newer players are decent enough to be more than relegation battlers. But, my concern is this, what if they aren't really any good and can't cut it in England? That leaves us royally f**ked right? The squad doesn't contain enough decent players to carry any passengers so we're really relying on the new manager to get these new players playing good football. 

9 more games in 2015 which takes us to half the season played.

These are our key games:

Watford h, Newc a, Norwich a

Win just those 3 this year, and i think we'll be keeping pace with the other relegation contenders.

I have a feeling we'll get a draw at Spurs just from a new manager bounce.

Will lose all of them by some considerable margin

We haven't lost a game this season by a "considerable margin", and that was with a guy in charge who is about as much of a football manager as my left arse cheek is.

I think we'll improve if we get an actual manager to take over.

9 more games in 2015 which takes us to half the season played.

These are our key games:

Watford h, Newc a, Norwich a

Win just those 3 this year, and i think we'll be keeping pace with the other relegation contenders.

I have a feeling we'll get a draw at Spurs just from a new manager bounce.

Will lose all of them by some considerable margin

We haven't lost a game this season by a "considerable margin", and that was with a guy in charge who is about as much of a football manager as my left arse cheek is.

I think we'll improve if we get an actual manager to take over.

Your right arse cheek? 

Bournemouth look in the crap currently.  Lost 3 of their best players for the season and now back to back 5-1 defeats.  It's a massive task, but certainly not impossible for us to get ahead of 3 clubs.  

Yet.

We need to still be in touch by mid december.

• Like 1

We have a massive task ahead, one I think we will fail with due to the lack of real quality in the squad.

I truly hope I'm proved wrong as I love this club. I just can't figure out what is our best line up as not one player us a "must" start.

The best I can come up with is;

Guzan

Richards Okore Clark Amavi 

Sanchez Gana 

Traore Gil Grealish 

Ayew

But that's only a guess as all have obviously had problems so far.

• Like 1

Choose your best eleven, have a couple of tactics for home/away, when you're winning/when we're losing.  Stick to them, tell the first 11 that you trust them and to go an express themselves in attack, but when you don't have the ball to be organised and have a plan.  Get the team to want to play with each other, they're in it together and put some cluckin' belief back into them.  Tell them not to be scared, turn VP into a place where teams DON'T want to play.  Get some pride.

Bournemouth look in the crap currently.  Lost 3 of their best players for the season and now back to back 5-1 defeats.  It's a massive task, but certainly not impossible for us to get ahead of 3 clubs.  We need to still be in touch by mid december.

I agree, with their injuries to their key players Bournemouth have got the hardest job on to stay up imo. Watford and Norwich have been competitive but hardly pulling up any trees and should end up in the mix with us, Newcastle and Sunderland. Although, to be honest, now Big Sam is up there I cant see them going down. Can't help thinking we missed the boat there, much like Pulis last time round.

We simply can't lose to Watford or Newcastle. Draw away at Everton would be nice. Cant see any points coming from the other 4 games before Xmas - Spurs, Man City, Southampton and Arsenal.

The run of games from Boxing day through Jan and Feb are where we can save ourselves. The run - in is not easy.

Whoever the new manager is gonna be he aint gotta hit the ground running for me, But if he doesn't have us playing well by Xmas, this will be the year.

Choose your best eleven, have a couple of tactics for home/away, when you're winning/when we're losing.  Stick to them, tell the first 11 that you trust them and to go an express themselves in attack, but when you don't have the ball to be organised and have a plan.  Get the team to want to play with each other, they're in it together and put some cluckin' belief back into them.  Tell them not to be scared, turn VP into a place where teams DON'T want to play.  Get some pride.

Exactly this.

I said it in the "roadmap" thread. If we have a manager who can organise and drill this team then it's good enough to grind out some results.

It won't be pretty, but do the basics right and tighten up, and we have enough flair in the side to score some goals.

This train of thought that we were doing as well as we could with the players we have under Sherwood is nonsense.

I was looking at the league table earlier and I think we are fortunate that despite only having 4 points from 10 games we are still only 4 points from safety. In fact we are only 5 points from the team in 16th. I would imagine this isn't normal and usually the teams just outside the relegation zone would after 10 games usually have 10 – 12 points at least maybe.

The way I see it is that we have 28 games to gain 2 more points than Sunderland and Newcastle, 4 more than Bournemouth and 5 more than Norwich. In fact we only need to do better than 3 of them teams by the points stated.

If you’d have said to me at the start of the season we’d have 4 points after 10 games I’d have thought we’d have no chance of staying up. Results wise we have been poor, performances haven’t been terrible though, in fact some have been good, and we have been in with a shout of getting points in every game we have played and only lost by more than one goal once. Add that to the fact that if the previous manager was as poor as many believed then providing we make a decent choice for his successor I still think we have a very good chance of surviving. In fact if I was forced to put  £100 on it now one way or the other I’d bet on us staying up. There is of course a slight chance my heart is ruling my head ;-)

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

we can compete with Bournemouth, Norwich, Newcastle and Sunderland - although Allardyce will definitely do well for the Sunderland lot first and foremost, before we can look any higher than that, those are our rivals for the next few weeks and months.

Never say never...but we have been knocking on the door regularly for the last few years, and if you keep knocking on the door eventually it will open.

At least by reacting early the inept so called board will give the new man a fighters chance. You would also like to think that any new man coming in would get some money for the January window.

This is yet another poor Prem League this season with despite what the media might say, there is not a lot to choose between the teams in the bottom half,

For me its a 3 way scrap between Watford, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Sunderland, West Boreme Albion, Swansea, Norwich and of course ourselves....

so perm any 3 from 8......

lets just hope its not us as i fear the road back will be as long as route 66 !!

That loss to Leicester is probably one of the most damaging this team has ever had 

Yep, totally destroyed the psyche of the team. Should have been a great win with two brilliant goals to propel us onward....

Depressing.

Â