Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

Tbf Allardyce in the long run will have them hard to beat, not that I've ever wanted him as villa manager.

maybe but he was supposed to now make them climb up the table and save them. Hard to beat but boring and you think some fans would settle for that? They were on about wanting to lose playing well than scrape a draw or a loss playing shit under lambert and then sherwood! Rather go down ( we did before)  and came back from the ashes than put up with any more shit British managers. Look at the top teams at the moment most if not all foreign.

Sunderland don't look like they have many away wins or points in them (Yes I know where their one away point this season was won) way they defended today. Going to put on a lot of pressure on them to keep winning at the SOL, a venue where they've been poor last few seasons.

Whereas if Garde can come in and get us organised we've shown in the last few years we can go away and win with the pace in our team. Lambert managed it, Sherwood initally managed it and even this season we should have two away wins on the board if Sherwood hadn't started playing football manager after 70 minutes at Leicester.

Going to be very tough but will help us if it's a very low points tally to stay up this year, something like 34 points would do me, anything close to 40 and think that will be beyond us.

Okay, so I'm procrastinating and avoiding work. 

I analysed all of the last 15 Premier League seasons, and where the table was after 10 games, to see roughly what our chances of surviving are. I just looked at those teams who were in the relegation places at this point, since those far above the relegation places who ended up relegated aren't relevant to our situation. 

There have been 45 teams in the bottom 3 over those 15 seasons (obviously). 20 stayed up at the end of the season, while 25 went down, which suggests our chances of staying up are around 45%.

The average points total for those who stayed up at this point was 6.65, while of those who went down it was 6.29*. This would suggest that we are way below the threshold, and perhaps our chances of relegation are higher, but the data is conflicted on this - there were only 6 instances where teams had 4 points or fewer, and 3 of those teams survived, so while there isn't much data for this, what there is suggests we aren't really much more likely to go down than, eg. Sunderland (statistically, forgetting Fat Sam or whatever). 

In only one of the fifteen seasons did all 3 teams in the relegation places after 10 games survive (2008/09 - Wigan/Bolton/Tottenham) but on only one occasion did all 3 teams go down (2006/07 - Watford/Sheff Utd/Charlton). On nine occasions, 2 of the teams went down, while on 4 occasions it was only one. 

Overall, I think we have an around 40% chance of surviving based on historical precedent. That's actually mildly better than I thought before I did the analysis. 

*I excluded Portsmouth 2009/10 from this part of the analysis as they started the season on -9 points. 

Hopefully you got a bit out of your hopelessness after doing this analysis. It helped me, so...

Yes, if you'd asked me before I did the analysis I'd have put our chances at a maximum of 25%, and I would have felt that was being generous, but it seems it's not quite that bleak. 

I will be revising my predictions periodically in the future.  

EDIT: However, we need to start getting results. I'm expecting us to lose at least the next three matches, but we really don't have that luxury. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

It continues to amaze me how Sunderland consistently beat Newcastle every season while we consistently lose to them while at the same time consistently picking up points against Sunderland.

Triangle of PL shitness.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

We can jump two places tomorrow night with a win. You would think that would be a big enough incentive for our players to win, wouldn't you? 

I think tomorrow will show what they're made of. If we get a footballing lesson tomorrow, when there is is so much to play for, it will leave me the most worried I've been about being relegated, this season. 

It continues to amaze me how Sunderland consistently beat Newcastle every season while we consistently lose to them while at the same time consistently picking up points against Sunderland.

Triangle of PL shitness.

I can't remember the exact stat. But games vs Newcastle account for something mental like 30% of SUnderlands wins over the past 3 seasons.

• Like 1

Â