Joleon Lescott

dont_do_it_doug.

Gutted a bit for Clark as he doesnt deserve to be dropped, but i cant see any other outcome tbh.

Just glad this signing is British;  Its nice to see these tallents come in, but i think it always needs to be ballanced out with a home grown element.

is him returning to everton a worry should stones deal actualy happen?

no links just he spent quite a while there and they'll be in for a CB should stone finaly join chelski

I get the impression he really wants to join Villa, his boyhood team. 

No proof of that, just my thoughts and feelings,  :)

Y

is him returning to everton a worry should stones deal actualy happen?

no links just he spent quite a while there and they'll be in for a CB should stone finaly join chelski

I get the impression he really wants to join Villa, his boyhood team. 

No proof of that, just my thoughts and feelings,  :)

Our fans have always been particularly nice to him....oh wait....

Clark and Baker are 25 and 24 respectfully, they are not kids anymore. Baker is a liability and should never ever be a starter for Villa. Clark is at least a decent defender, however even he suffers from momentary lapses in concentration.  

I'm not a fan of Lescott, he WAS a good defender but I think now he's passed his best. Yes he adds experience (which is no bad thing) however realistically what can he teach Clark and Baker that they shouldn't already know by now?

Given the choice between the two, I obviously take Evans.

I would have been over the moon if our first choice CB partnership over the next 5 (five) years was Richards and Evans rather than the alternative. 

Plus Evans isn't exactly short on experience either, having made more Champions League and international appearances than Lescott.

Sorry to sound so negative (and I'm not having a go at Lescott personally either) however IMO this signing makes no sense.

UTV

I think the potential signing makes perfect sense but then I'm a big fan of Lescott and you aren't so that's probably why 

Baker needs to go out on loan to see if he can play 30-40 games in a row and if it improves him and while Clark is better, I'm not convinced by him.

A Lescott / Richards partnership would be excellent IMO with Okore, Clark and Sanchez providing cover. I don't Senderos will ever play for us again.

As for Evans, not convinced, and certainly not at £6m plus add-ons. 

Clark and Baker are 25 and 24 respectfully, they are not kids anymore. Baker is a liability and should never ever be a starter for Villa. Clark is at least a decent defender, however even he suffers from momentary lapses in concentration.

I'm not a fan of Lescott, he WAS a good defender but I think now he's passed his best. Yes he adds experience (which is no bad thing) however realistically what can he teach Clark and Baker that they shouldn't already know by now?

I would have been over the moon if our first choice CB partnership over the next 5 (five) years was Richards and Evans rather than the alternative.

Plus Evans isn't exactly short on experience either, having made more Champions League and international appearances than Lescott.

Sorry to sound so negative (and I'm not having a go at Lescott personally either) however IMO this signing makes no sense.

UTV

So when you said;

"He is utter tripe. Can't believe we're paying £2m for him. Evans at £6m is a bargain and IMO we should have gone after him instead."

What can he teach Baker and Clark what they shouldn't already know? What they should know is irrelevant. You also stated in what what it "makes sense".

You don't think he's a good defender anymore. The Albion fans disagree. I disagree. Most of the footballing world disagree it seems. Let's hope you are wrong.

Clark and Baker are 25 and 24 respectfully, they are not kids anymore. Baker is a liability and should never ever be a starter for Villa. Clark is at least a decent defender, however even he suffers from momentary lapses in concentration.

I'm not a fan of Lescott, he WAS a good defender but I think now he's passed his best. Yes he adds experience (which is no bad thing) however realistically what can he teach Clark and Baker that they shouldn't already know by now?

Sorry to sound so negative (and I'm not having a go at Lescott personally either) however IMO this signing makes no sense.

UTV

So when you said;

"He is utter tripe. Can't believe we're paying £2m for him. Evans at £6m is a bargain and IMO we should have gone after him instead."

What can he teach Baker and Clark what they shouldn't already know? What they should know is irrelevant. You also stated in what what it "makes sense".

You don't think he's a good defender anymore. The Albion fans disagree. I disagree. Most of the footballing world disagree it seems. Let's hope you are wrong.

? Let's.

Edited by Supervillan78

So when you said;

? Let's.

Your first and second posts don't really match up. The second is a reasoned and considered effort, the first the ramblings of a madman! ;)

Better than Baker,  better than Vlaar,  better than Senderos, better than Clark, better than Okore (although I think its closer with Jores)

Will improve Baker , Clark and Okore in the time he is here as well

All round good deal

Striker next please

Cannot agree with this. You obviously think Okore is better than Clark. Not so, in my opinion, and I do not know what you base that on. To me Lescott is a step back, at his age. I am not sure he is better than Clark, and Lescott certainly will not be improving. I really do not think a 33 year old should be considered.

Clark still makes to many mistakes, hopefully with lescott we gonna be much more stable at the back.

Agreed. Clark can have some great games and if it wasn't for his knack for producing costly mistakes he'd be our best defender. I really hope more experience sorts that out. We really need more consistency and focus in the CB position.

He may not be the youngest or fastest or in his prime,  but he's an experienced premier league defender of some skill and the one thing he will do that I am not sure any of our current back four can do is organise a bloody defence while in play.  Quite simply none of them have that skill or experience to be able to do that and him doing it will help them and us

I've no idea what wages Evans will be on but I know his 1st contract at MU was for 50k per week (from a close family member of his).

Would anyone like to find out given our financial situation that we were paying Evans (if we signed him in place of Lescott) upwards of this?

I've never really rated Evans but even though I've never taken to Lescott I can see the merits in signing someone with his experience.

I'll still be very surprised if Albion would sell to us given the hatred from them towards us, never understood that from them as I've never thought of them as rivals like Blues, obviously we are a big deal to them.

IMO Lescott is a very good CB, who reads the game well, is excellent in the air (including goal threat), and most importantly is very experienced. Think he's a 'winner' and will add much needed depth. He'll be in direct competition with Clark, and I think this will help Clark as a player, both in terms of being pushed competitively as well as learning from a very good CB. It will also allow Baker to go on loan and he needs games so we can see if he can push on - if he can't I'm sure the playing time and exposure, along with his new contract will help us get a good fee for him.

By all accounts he gets on very well with Richards and I think they could make a very good pairing. He'll benefit form someone with pace alongside him and they'll be formidable in the air, plus the defence as a whole will benefit from his experience and leadership on the pitch. 

I think he's someone that will strengthen our defence as well as help our younger defenders develop. All in all I think he could be a very good signing. 

Not a particularly inspiring signing IMO but I agree with RV above. I don't think Baker is as bad as many make out but I think he is crying out for loan to give him game time to prove one way or another whether he is good enough.

As for Evans, no thanks. Typical of many MU academy products, an average player in a very good squad. Just the sort of player SAF was good at getting the best out of. I don't think he would up skill our squad in any way.

Â