Joleon Lescott

dont_do_it_doug.

He is utter tripe. Can't believe we're paying £2m for him. Evans at £6m is a bargain and IMO we should have gone after him instead.

He isn't but no point debating that one.

As for the prices I believe its £1m plus £1m in add on's while Evans is £6m plus £2m in add on's.

I think we are getting the better deal but irrespective of if we are or not I don't think Sherwood has £8m to spend on a CB.

we are screaming out for experience and composure in the team

I think we have pace, we have players who can tackle and win headers such as Clark and Richards, but neither are that positionally astute and intelligent. I hope Lescott has that extra ability, i've definitely seen evidence of that for England and Man City, but not seen anything of him in recent years.

IMO Lescott is a very good CB, who reads the game well, is excellent in the air (including goal threat), and most importantly is very experienced. Think he's a 'winner' and will add much needed depth. He'll be in direct competition with Clark, and I think this will help Clark as a player, both in terms of being pushed competitively as well as learning from a very good CB. It will also allow Baker to go on loan and he needs games so we can see if he can push on - if he can't I'm sure the playing time and exposure, along with his new contract will help us get a good fee for him.

By all accounts he gets on very well with Richards and I think they could make a very good pairing. He'll benefit form someone with pace alongside him and they'll be formidable in the air, plus the defence as a whole will benefit from his experience and leadership on the pitch. 

I think he's someone that will strengthen our defence as well as help our younger defenders develop. All in all I think he could be a very good signing. 

• Like 3

He is utter tripe. Can't believe we're paying £2m for him. Evans at £6m is a bargain and IMO we should have gone after him instead.

As for the prices I believe its £1m plus £1m in add on's while Evans is £6m plus £2m in add on's.

I think we are getting the better deal but irrespective of if we are or not I don't think Sherwood has £8m to spend on a CB.

Slightly OT, but what is really horrible about what Trent is saying is we can't compete financially with WBA... god that's depressing. Not new information, but still depressing. Probably largely the reason we didn't get Lescott when he left City as we couldn't / wouldn't compete with WBA on wages. 

Slightly OT, but what is really horrible about what Trent is saying is we can't compete financially with WBA... god that's depressing. Not new information, but still depressing. Probably largely the reason we didn't get Lescott when he left City as we couldn't / wouldn't compete with WBA on wages. 

Its absolutely the reason we didn't get him last summer, I've already posted that.

I know a lot of people on here don't rate Evans, but I would have definitely had him at Villa.

But, saying that, bringing in Evans to partner Richards would further reduce the chances of Okore or Clark stepping up to be the players that we want them to be. At least with Lescott, only having a few years left at the top, he'll be able to steady the ship, let the younger players learn from him, and then hopefully step aside when the time is right, for Okore or Clark (or Baker, I suppose) to step up.

If we bought Evans, then our first choice pairing would likely be him and Richards for the next 5 years. It will feel fairly redundant having these three CB 'prospects' of varying potential in the squad, if the chances are they'll only play the odd cup game.

• Like 1

I think in terms of ratio more players struggle when they leave Utd as opposed to those that go on to better things.

Unless you buy academy players, players at United are usually on the way down when they leave there..... we want players on the way up, if we want to progress the club.

However one slight exception.....God.

we are screaming out for experience and composure in the team

Spot On

• Like 1

Lescott is a back up CB who will push Clark. Evans I'd imagine would want to be 1st choice he's also spent his whole career at United were you very rarely have to defend for the majority of the time and also had world class players around him so let's see how he fares when that's swapped around.

Lescott is a back up CB who will push Clark. Evans I'd imagine would want to be 1st choice he's also spent his whole career at United were you very rarely have to defend for the majority of the time and also had world class players around him so let's see how he fares when that's swapped around.

Do you honestly care how he gets on at baggies?

I think Lescott will take Clark's place.

• Like 1

Happy with this if it comes off and think Tim' s played it well. Clark and Baker given new contracts and (Clark in particular) likely reassured they are the future and will have a chance to establish themselves in the long term. Lescott's been brought in to steady the ship and offer some much needed experience at the back - defending free kicks against Utd our lack of organisation was painfully apparant. Lescott is a fan and will be a positive influence. Just need a striker now...

One thing I like about Lescott is he is a real threat from set pieces. Opposition defences having to mark him, Richards and Gestede at corners are going to have a hard time.

• Like 1

I think Lescott will take Clark's place.

Ditto

I guess this is the Vlaar money we may have put aside?

It's probably a fair chunk of the Benteke money, a slice of the Delph money, a pinch of Cissokho's wages and the proceeds of the auction of Niklas Helenius' underpants.

Clark and Baker are 25 and 24 respectfully, they are not kids anymore. Baker is a liability and should never ever be a starter for Villa. Clark is at least a decent defender, however even he suffers from momentary lapses in concentration.  

I'm not a fan of Lescott, he WAS a good defender but I think now he's passed his best. Yes he adds experience (which is no bad thing) however realistically what can he teach Clark and Baker that they shouldn't already know by now?

Given the choice between the two, I obviously take Evans.

I would have been over the moon if our first choice CB partnership over the next 5 (five) years was Richards and Evans rather than the alternative. 

Plus Evans isn't exactly short on experience either, having made more Champions League and international appearances than Lescott.

Sorry to sound so negative (and I'm not having a go at Lescott personally either) however IMO this signing makes no sense.

UTV

Edited by Supervillan78

I think he is just what we need at the back. Old head with bags of experience to talk the new players through games and see things out when they are tight in a match.

He has played at the top level in the past and that experience isn't something we have much of - although the skipper has well - so having those two at the back will give the whole team confidence and great for the new lads to learn from.

If we get Adebayor I think this has been an excellent transfer window and top work from the manager and back room staff.

Some of the new lads are already looking like class acts.

Given the choice between the two, I obviously take Evans.

I think it's already been made clear there wasn't such a choice in reality for Sherwood. If he had £2m to spend then Lescott is a good choice.

However, I'm a bit worried that we are being a bit premature in discussing his move to Villa.

I don't like the sound of the noises coming out of The Hawthorns that he will move to Villa so long as they can sign another defender. I don't trust West Brom - they are pretty slippery in the transfer market.

Sounds like Sherwood feels the same:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11832182/Former-England-defender-Joleon-Lescott-to-join-Aston-Villa-for-1.5m.html

"Joleon Lescott isn’t our player. I know myself how difficult it is to deal with West Brom [he was interviewed twice for the job of head coach]…"

Â