Rudy Gestede

midian

A fair point was brought up in the match day thread, so I'll say it here.

His flick ons and hold up play are pretty good, but there is literally no one remotely close to him. Benteke did this fantastically but he at least had some strikers running off of him or in his general vicinity to pass it off too. Gestede is marooned constantly. What's the point kicking it up to him if no one is near him? He can't hold the ball with all the defenders on him for long and Gestede is not the type to take on a defender either. Lazy tactics. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

His flick ons and hold up play are pretty good, but there is literally no one remotely close to him. Benteke did this fantastically but he at least had some strikers running off of him or in his general vicinity to pass it off too. Gestede is marooned constantly. What's the point kicking it up to him if no one is near him? He can't hold the ball with all the defenders on him for long and Gestede is not the type to take on a defender either. Lazy tactics. 

Agreed.

If he had a quick little bastard running off him would work very well.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

His only use is to come on for the last half hour if we need to bombard the box.  Since Ayew has got himself suspended, today there were little other options.  Hopefully Remy or someone can come in to seriously upgrade our strike force.

Id save the Remy money and put it towards someone who is going to help us next season in championship

2 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

This guy. Comfortably the worst striker I've ever seen for us.

This, Tommy Johnson was a limited footballers but Christ he was a cut above gestede.

5 hours ago, Czechlad said:

This. A thousand times this.

We've seen enough of him now to know that he's not a lone striker. When he's played with a partner, he always looks decent to me.

And more often than not when we actually cross the ball, he looks dangerous. 

He will be an important player for us in the Championship.

Not mobile enough for this league

This for me, his movement is terrible, it'll be glass half empty or glass half full, personally I think Gil especially is hesitant to try and cross to a bloke being marked by 2 defenders, at times today we weren't crossing because he wasn't showing for the ball

He won some headers today...he still plodded around unable to press their back four, he still doesn't try and work the channels or peel off his marker and show for Gana or veretout

Every time I see him I don't know how he scored that many goals in the championship he's **** garbage

42 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Defoe really showed him up on how you move around the box. This guy is a statue. Won't score from anything other than an inch perfect cross onto his head.

Yes and no. Defoe never had kick in the first half. Second half he was finding more space because we were doing what we had to do - throwing bodies forward to try to win the game. And to that how bad we are in general at defending. At no point did Sunderland leave wide open space at the back in the way we did.

If we ever manage to score the first goal in a game, we will see how Gestede (and Ayew) perform with a bit more space.

20 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I made this exact point in the match thread, so it may even be that you're referring to. He was winning almost everything put up to him, multiple times he flicked the ball on into space behind the defence but there's no one even near him let alone running off him to capitalise.

Also the quality of crosses he has to feed off are abysmal. I remember one ball from Veretout which went behind him so he'd had to change direction, running away from goal and generate all the power and direction and when it was inevitably a bad effort there are the 'LOL Gestede' 'best header of the ball in the league' comments as if anything aerial he should be scoring, IMO he has shown he can put away quality delieveries in the Liverpool game. 

Hes obviously not greatest player by any means but he is getting zero help. There is no point buying a tank and expecting it to perform like anything else.

• Like 2

Â