Rudy Gestede

midian

A Blackburn fan I know describes him as "the best headerer of a ball I've ever seen". Him and Libor up top with crosses raining into the box will be a glorious sight.

Gestede scored 20 league goals in 39 games last season. The season before last, in the same league, Charlie Austin scored 17 in 31. We all know how well he did last season in the Premier League!

OK, I know Austin had proved himself a regular scorer for a while in the lower leagues but Gestede may just have needed time to settle, remember he had moved to another country with a young wife!

• Like 1

Just my opinion - but I think we are building a squad rather than a damp squib! I'm sure the players we have incoming and already here are not demanding first team football - they may be happy to be part of a squad that will get game time throughout the season - why does it mean one goes if one comes in. Might be but ---

It ain't necessarily soooo! 

Gestede scored 20 league goals in 39 games last season. The season before last, in the same league, Charlie Austin scored 17 in 31. We all know how well he did last season in the Premier League!

OK, I know Austin had proved himself a regular scorer for a while in the lower leagues but Gestede may just have needed time to settle, remember he had moved to another country with a young wife!

Did Gestede take the pens for Blackburn like Austin for QPR?

be silly to have  a press conference for a loan signing but happy with the other two

as for gestede 6m this could be agood buy. its  massive step up though from championship. hope he can adapt quickly.

with him, kozak, adebayor and gabby (also gil and sinclair can support) we have a hell of a lot of options.

cannot remmeber last time we have been in this postion

AFAIK,when Rhodes was fit he took most of them?

AFAIK,when Rhodes was fit he took most of them?

Even better sign him up sharp.  That amount and not pens is some doing.

be silly to have  a press conference for a loan signing but happy with the other two

as for gestede 6m this could be agood buy. its  massive step up though from championship. hope he can adapt quickly.

with him, kozak, adebayor and gabby (also gil and sinclair can support) we have a hell of a lot of options.

And Ayew.

And Ayew.

See with all these new players even forgot him! We have some realy firepower this year

This indicates to me that we're trying to replace Benteke by diversifying what he brought to the team over a few different players. Gestede would suit certainly make up for the lack of dominant, tall, strong, aerial thunderbastard. 

Oh yes, I like.

Really happy with this signing, saw him a couple of times last season and he looked a real handful for defenders. But more importantly, can't see Gabby being an automatic choice anymore.

• Like 1

26, knows the country and the football culture. We also need to be realistic and understand that these guys must have worked bloody hard to get the quality of player they have in, especially if they pull off the Veretout deal. If it so happens that one signing in Gestade is a bit less "exciting" then so be it.

Looks like he can do a job in the air eh! **** me.

It's probably that I also have reservations about Adebayor as Benteke's primary replacement. You're right though, there is an element of pragmatism at play. I imagine we did try for a few 'ambitious' forward targets but were probably priced out of a deal. Given the sheer amount of positions that needed strengthening, we aren't in a position to spend too big a chunk of the budget on any one player.

Â