Rudy Gestede

midian

Looks like we're going to be playing two up top. Ade and Gestede battling it out for target man and then Ayew playing behind them?

No 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1, Grealish is a must pick when fit.

Some games like Sunderland and West Brom we'll play 4-4-2 though I reckon as we saw last season those teams are slow and can't live with pace so worth playing an extra attacker.

Very much in the Andy Carroll mould.

The Prem will be a step up for him. Blackburn got him for €200,000 from Cardiff, but played to his strengths and he exceled for them.

Shearer comparisons are daft at this stage but if he continues to improve especially his ground game he could be a good addition for us.

Paying the quoted £7million would be well over the odds though.

I can't say signing a 26 year old still playing in the Championship gets my pulse racing. I would have hoped for a bigger, higher potential buy as we've done in some other areas.

However I do understand the thinking behind it. Sherwood clearly wants a conventional target-man to compete with Adebayor for the #9 spot. Although he was bought to play as such, Kozak doesn't play that role very well over here - physically lacking in our league.

Gestede is a beast and should be effective enough to chip in with his share and share the load with Adebayor. As others have eluded to, he is so dominant aerially. I recall him even bosing the 'Boro defence who were the best in the league, winning absolutely evertthing. The reported £6m fee is a reasonable and not as excessive as I would initially have imagined either.

• Like 1

He has obviously signed, as someone has already made a pig's ear of updating wikipedia.  Imagine not even being able to update wikipedia properly.

So....

Bacuna - Richards - Clark - Amavi

Guyeue - Veretout

Ayew Gil Grealish

Gestede

I'd be happy if we started with that team against Bournemouth .

That is one good team right there.

6 of that team are untried at this level.

1 hasn't played a game for yonks.

1 could go either way and the other 2 are more than capable of being awful.

Way too early to say how good that team is either way.

• Like 1

Blackburn striker Rudy Gestede is set to have a medical at Aston Villa after the two clubs agreed a £6m fee, according to Sky sources.

The 26-year-old scored 22 goals last season as Rovers finished ninth in the Sky Bet Championship and has netted 34 times in 65 games for the club.

Crystal Palace, Watford, Norwich and West Brom have been credited with an interest in the Benin international, who has been at Blackburn since signing permanently from Cardiff, after a loan spell, in January 2014.

Villa boss Tim Sherwood is searching for more firepower after the £32.5m sale of Christian Benteke to Liverpool.

He is closing in on a loan deal for Emmanuel Adebayor, who he managed at Tottenham, with the deal expected to be completed soon.

Adebayor was given a guided tour of Villa's Bodymoor Heath training ground on Tuesday while talks continued on Wednesday.

Nantes midfielder Jordan Veretout could also be a Villa player by the end of the week with the club holding talks with the 22-year-old.

Sherwood has already signed seven players this summer and is prepared to let several squad members go, with left-back Aly Cissokho told he can leave.

Elsewhere, Rovers are facing a fight to hang on to Gestede's team-mate Jordan Rhodes after the Scotland international was the subject of a recent bid from Middlesbrough. 

The former Dunfermline striker was reportedly unhappy at being denied the opportunity to speak with Aitor Karanka's side.

Sky

£6m fee then, happy with that. Should it not work out we could probably fetch near that anyway.

• Like 1

So....

Guyeue - Veretout

Ayew Gil Grealish

Gestede

What would be saying if we'd signed Chester, Huddlestone, Downing and Austin?

• Like 3

So....

Guyeue - Veretout

Ayew Gil Grealish

Gestede

Chester and Austin would be great for us. Not sure about the fee and wages for Austin, but yer pays ya money I suppose...

So....

Guyeue - Veretout

Ayew Gil Grealish

Gestede

Not sure what your point is?

i would take Downing and Austin but those two would cost 20m + and god knows what in wages, Downing is 30 now and how high would they realistically push us up the league.

I agree it's more of an uknown but given how young the vast majority of signings are it could get very exciting when they all click together.

So....

Guyeue - Veretout

Ayew Gil Grealish

Gestede

Not sure what your point is?

They're proven in the premier league so people know how good they are or aren't but would cost a shed load more than what we've signed.

i would take Downing and Austin but those two would cost 20m + and god knows what in wages, Downing is 30 now and how high would they realistically push us up the league.

I agree it's more of an uknown but given how young the vast majority of signings are it could get very exciting when they all click together.

IF they all click together.

Downing?  After the way he behaved?  If we signed him i wouldnt set foot in villa park until he left.

• Like 1

Downing could still play for half the prem teams no problem, he was excellent for West Ham.

If they all click fair enough....but last season Southampton (Mane, Tadic, Pelle, Alderwielder) and West Ham (Sakho, Valencia, Song, Kouyate) signed lots from abroad and both had brilliant first halves of the season.

Â