Rudy Gestede

midian

So....

Bacuna - Richards - Clark - Amavi

Guyeue - Veretout

Ayew Gil Grealish

Gestede

I'd be happy if we started with that team against Bournemouth .

That is one good team right there.
6 of that team are untried at this level.

1 hasn't played a game for yonks.

1 could go either way and the other 2 are more than capable of being awful.

Way too early to say how good that team is either way.

What would be saying if we'd signed Chester, Huddlestone, Downing and Austin?

Not sure what your point is?

They're proven in the premier league so people know how good they are or aren't but would cost a shed load more than what we've signed.

one a one for one yes they would cost more. but we could have purchased those players instead of £6m here, £7m there..........Chester and Austin would have been great buys - the players we have purchased are unproved - which on July 30 is very exciting - but come mid October might not look such a smart move.

• Like 1

So I am I right in saying we're genuinely close to signing Veretout, Adebayor and Gestede? Hell of a press conference coming up. One very talented and well thought of, one a mixed bag, and one a documented overpaid headcase who has played for some top clubs

• Like 1

Didn't Downing just sign a 4 year deal for Middlesbrough?

Yes so he was on the market this summer.

Him, Austin, Chester and Huddlestone would cost us 35m so pretty much what we've paid for our signings.

My point was would you rather have them as you know what they can and can't do at prem level or gamble a bit more on unproven players from abroad but who are already established internationals or highly rated young players.

I've always wanted us to do a press conference signing multiple players, we used to have the "how many chairs" jokes, but it could genuinely happen this time.

Makes you wonder if they might be planning something like that. By all accounts Adebayor and Veretout are close to being done. Sherwood hasn't given an interview in a while so perhaps they're thinking such a conference would give the club a lift?

Didn't Downing just sign a 4 year deal for Middlesbrough?

Yes so he was on the market this summer.

Him, Austin, Chester and Huddlestone would cost us 35m so pretty much what we've paid for our signings.

My point was would you rather have them as you know what they can and can't do at prem level or gamble a bit more on unproven players from abroad but who are already established internationals or highly rated young players.

Ah ok.

For me I stay well clear of those players as imo they are simply not value for money regarding both transfer fee and salary.

Really pleased with the way we have done our transfers so far.

As for Gestede I know nothing at all about him and have never seen him play so i will remain slightly doubtful until he clobbers Terry and scores a few goals for us

• Like 1

I can absolutely understand the reservations about this guy, and it certainly is true that his scoring record was abysmal before he went to Blackburn, but I just think he's improved hugely as a player over the last two years. Certainly, though, we will need to play to his strengths. I think he'll fit Sherwood's plans pretty well - that interview with Amavi he talked about 'pressing, pressing, pressing' and with Gestede you certainly get harassing opposition defenders, he's a nightmare to play against from what I've seen, even if he isn't technically that accomplished.

Overall, I'm happy and excited about this signing. I hope it doesn't mean the end of Kozak, though it's kind of hard to see any way in which it doesn't.  

Rudy Gestede's in town, don't look good for your future.

He's gonna shoot you right down, with a goal or two.

Rudy,

Score us a goal Rudy.

Score us a goal Rudy.

Score us a goal Rudy

And repeat :D

• Like 1

So....

Bacuna - Richards - Clark - Amavi

Guyeue - Veretout

Ayew Gil Grealish

Gestede

I'd be happy if we started with that team against Bournemouth .

That is one good team right there.
6 of that team are untried at this level.

1 hasn't played a game for yonks.

1 could go either way and the other 2 are more than capable of being awful.

Way too early to say how good that team is either way.

What would be saying if we'd signed Chester, Huddlestone, Downing and Austin?
Not sure what your point is?

They're proven in the premier league so people know how good they are or aren't but would cost a shed load more than what we've signed.

Still a bit unsure how this applies to my original point that it was not possible to make the statement of 'that is one good team right there'.

I'm not suggesting that they are great or bad buys or that other signings would be better. Just that we have no idea how that team could go. It could be a top 8 team or it could go down. Either way, we won't find out for a few weeks.

I can't say signing a 26 year old still playing in the Championship gets my pulse racing. I would have hoped for a bigger, higher potential buy as we've done in some other areas.

However I do understand the thinking behind it. Sherwood clearly wants a conventional target-man to compete with Adebayor for the #9 spot. Although he was bought to play as such, Kozak doesn't play that role very well over here - physically lacking in our league.

Gestede is a beast and should be effective enough to chip in with his share and share the load with Adebayor. As others have eluded to, he is so dominant aerially. I recall him even bosing the 'Boro defence who were the best in the league, winning absolutely evertthing. The reported £6m fee is a reasonable and not as excessive as I would initially have imagined either.

26, knows the country and the football culture. We also need to be realistic and understand that these guys must have worked bloody hard to get the quality of player they have in, especially if they pull off the Veretout deal. If it so happens that one signing in Gestade is a bit less "exciting" then so be it.

Looks like he can do a job in the air eh! **** me.

I've always wanted us to do a press conference signing multiple players, we used to have the "how many chairs" jokes, but it could genuinely happen this time.

Problem is the answer might be "not enough"!!!!

The club should be drip feeding the signings to us, one a day.

If they introduce them all together, say tomorrow, by Saturday posters on here will be looking for the next one in.

This indicates to me that we're trying to replace Benteke by diversifying what he brought to the team over a few different players. Gestede would suit certainly make up for the lack of dominant, tall, strong, aerial thunderbastard. 

Makes you wonder if they might be planning something like that. By all accounts Adebayor and Veretout are close to being done. Sherwood hasn't given an interview in a while so perhaps they're thinking such a conference would give the club a lift?

Getting players in training ASAP at this point of the window > getting people excited with multiple chairs. Just cant see them ever waiting just to do it. If it happens itll be coincidence more than tactical thinking

Edited by gharperr

Â