Rudy Gestede

midian

• 3 weeks later...

He's fit for tomorrow, so could be a chance to give him a start and a run out... Might as well get him some game time. I think he's going to be pretty important in the Championship, he could even score a few and be a hero next year. If we get a couple of wingers/wing backs who can actually cross (amavi is pretty good if we can keep him) then he could be dangerous.

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 20:41, Spoony said:

His goal return for the worst team ever isn't so bad. 6 in all competitions. I'd just build the team around him in the Championship and do whatever it is Blackburn did to get him firing.

Six? That is bad.

For him to work in the Championship for us we obviously need to add a supply line with wingers and full backs who can cross, but he also needs to put in the work.

Just look at the work rate (a somewhat similar type of player) Andy Carroll puts in for West Ham, and compare it to the static Gestede we've seen for Villa. 

I wonder if his motivation is gone after he got his PL move or if he still has the fire to once again hustle and fight in the Championship?

• Like 1

It's definitely a two way street, not as simple as saying "cross the ball and he'll score" he's got to at least show for the ball, we're not just going to aimlessly throw the ball in for a bloke stood still between two centre backs

• Like 4

6 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

He's fit for tomorrow, so could be a chance to give him a start and a run out... Might as well get him some game time. I think he's going to be pretty important in the Championship, he could even score a few and be a hero next year. If we get a couple of wingers/wing backs who can actually cross (amavi is pretty good if we can keep him) then he could be dangerous.

Whatever we could do tomorrow to help prepare for next season, Black will do the complete opposite.  Clean sheet is all he is after.

We won't be anywhere near promotion if we have to rely on Gastede as our main striker. His career record, bar 1 good season in the championship is atrocious, so i don't think its to harsh to suggest that "that season" was an exeception to the rule. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

We won't be anywhere near promotion if we have to rely on Gastede as our main striker. His career record, bar 1 good season in the championship is atrocious, so i don't think its to harsh to suggest that "that season" was an exeception to the rule. 

Both seasons at Blackburn he averaged a 1 in 2 goal scoring ratio, that's pretty good to be fair.

He's not a good Premier League striker, but he is a good Championship one.

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Both seasons at Blackburn he averaged a 1 in 2 goal scoring ratio, that's pretty good to be fair.

8 hours ago, sne said:

For him to work in the Championship for us we obviously need to add a supply line with wingers and full backs who can cross, but he also needs to put in the work.

Just look at the work rate (a somewhat similar type of player) Andy Carroll puts in for West Ham, and compare it to the static Gestede we've seen for Villa. 

I wonder if his motivation is gone after he got his PL move or if he still has the fire to once again hustle and fight in the Championship?

Maybe he never had great movement or work rate, anyone actually see him play for Blackburn that season he scored a load? 

He deffo needs a player up with him, not our 4-3-3 variants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

He has scored less than 50 goals in 10yrs, thats appalling. 2014/15 was very much a one off. Career stats.

2005–2010Metz B27   (3)

2007–2011Metz28(3)

2009–2010→ Cannes (loan)22(4)

2011–2014Cardiff City55(7)

2013–2014→ Blackburn Rovers (loan)6(1)

2014–2015Blackburn Rovers66(32)

2015–Aston Villa

On 14/05/2016 at 12:27, villa4europe said:

It's definitely a two way street, not as simple as saying "cross the ball and he'll score" he's got to at least show for the ball, we're not just going to aimlessly throw the ball in for a bloke stood still between two centre backs

Someone on the coaching staff should be examining his performances for Blackburn and work out where all the goals came from so we can replicate it. However I am willing to place a large bet that no one has given it a second thought 

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Someone on the coaching staff should be examining his performances for Blackburn and work out where all the goals came from so we can replicate it. However I am willing to place a large bet that no one has given it a second thought 

Probably should of done that...you know.....when he initially signed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They came from a better winger than Hutton. We have not once this season played to his strengths. Blackburn as good as built the team around him. The managers we had, have not had a clue. We would be mad to let him go before next season.

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Didn't he have the rather prolific Jordan Rhodes playing along side him last season? A player I'm amazed hasn't been signed by a Prem club. 

11 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Didn't he have the rather prolific Jordan Rhodes playing along side him last season? A player I'm amazed hasn't been signed by a Prem club. 

Not sure he will cut it in the prem, we shall see.

Â