Rudy Gestede

midian

26 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Didn't he have the rather prolific Jordan Rhodes playing along side him last season? A player I'm amazed hasn't been signed by a Prem club. 

He's playing for a Prem club now, though!

On 5/14/2016 at 20:59, av1 said:

He has scored less than 50 goals in 10yrs, thats appalling. 2014/15 was very much a one off. Career stats.

2005–2010Metz B27   (3)

2007–2011Metz28(3)

2009–2010→ Cannes (loan)22(4)

2011–2014Cardiff City55(7)

2013–2014→ Blackburn Rovers (loan)6(1)

2014–2015Blackburn Rovers66(32)

2015–Aston Villa

That's wrong, he scored for example a hattrick  at SHA in April 2014 and he was scoring quite a few around that time so it's more than one season.

Rhodes is very much like Bent, will poach goals but contributes little on link up play and holding the ball up. He won't be starting week in week out for Boro as he hasn't since they joined and imagine Boro will get an experienced top level striker in.

Maybe someone like Nugent to combine with Gestede might not be the worst option as he makes clever runs so could anticipate flick ons. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Someone on the coaching staff should be examining his performances for Blackburn and work out where all the goals came from so we can replicate it. However I am willing to place a large bet that no one has given it a second thought 

in fairness this is a Villa thing. Sign Darren Bent and 6 months later sell his wingers and while not at same level but if sign a player good in the air like Gestede you sign at least one winger to feed him

On 5/16/2016 at 03:27, Zatman said:

in fairness this is a Villa thing. Sign Darren Bent and 6 months later sell his wingers and while not at same level but if sign a player good in the air like Gestede you sign at least one winger to feed him

Yep, this is why I really hope Amavi stays as he's the only full back we have that's capable of delivering a good cross.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Yep, this is why I really hope Amavi stays as he's the only full back we have that's capable of delivering a good cross.

This was the only game that it looked like they cared after Bournmouth

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2016 at 22:00, VillaChris said:

Rhodes is very much like Bent, will poach goals but contributes little on link up play and holding the ball up. He won't be starting week in week out for Boro as he hasn't since they joined and imagine Boro will get an experienced top level striker in.

Maybe someone like Nugent to combine with Gestede might not be the worst option as he makes clever runs so could anticipate flick ons. 

Way more limited than Bent to be honest. Bent had good pace and could play off the shoulder very well, Rhodes is just a big lump and will fail miserably in the premier league. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

• 2 weeks later...

Just said elsewhere but I think aside from Liverpool away Rudy's best performances for us have come as a sub. He was terrific up at Newcastle when he came on with half hour left and he scored in that role v Leicester and Everton.

He's a very basic forward but I have no issue with him staying...as a sub which I believe will happen as a new forward and it will surely be him and Ayew witth Gestede plan B off the bench.

He's certainly ahead of Kozak in that immobile awkward forward role as Libor seems to have disappeared again so dunno if he's injured or about to leave.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be eager to get him out of the door given his performances in the Championship previously.

But I agree with many that he shouldn't be first choice. He needs to be a plan B from the bench.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Gestede is an absolute donkey. He bagged quite a few in the Championship because he had players whipping balls in. We have nobody of any quality to do that. 

Jordan Amavi says hello

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I wouldn't be eager to get him out of the door given his performances in the Championship previously.

But I agree with many that he shouldn't be first choice. He needs to be a plan B from the bench.

Agreed with this. He's not going to get us promoted, but being so quick to dismiss a 20-goal scorer from the Championship as a backup doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Jordan Amavi says hello

Jordan Amavi is currently not fit and hasn't played a game for 9 months. I doubt very much we will see him back anytime soon and even if we do he may not necessarily be the same player. And that's if he stays!

I love Amavi but I won't be pinning my hopes on him. Not after such a long lay off.

Gestede needs more than an unfit full back to make him useful.

Edited by One For The Road

Â