Rudy Gestede

midian

Just now, One For The Road said:

Jordan Amavi is currently not fit and hasn't played a game for 9 months. I doubt very much we will see him back anytime soon and even if we do he may not necessarily the same player. And that's if he stays!

I love Amavi but I won't be pinning my hope on him. Not after such a long lay off.

I don't disagree with any of that. But you said "We have nobody of any quality to do that." which isn't true, imo. We have Jordan Amavi.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Agreed with this. He's not going to get us promoted, but being so quick to dismiss a 20-goal scorer from the Championship as a backup doesn't make much sense.

Too bad we just sold Sinclair then:)

If Gestede is to be useful for us we must play to his strength, but he also must make the effort and work his arse off, running into channels and making it difficult for defenders with his size and strength. He didn't do any of that last season. He just stood there motionless until one of our few crosses accidentally struck him on the head every 10th game or so.

The few times he actually had the ball at his feet I rather just forget about...

Gestede worries me. He's clearly rubbish at Premier League level but I keep hearing he's proven at Championship level. However, when performing in the Championship he was full of confidence, striving for promotion or a move to a Premier League club. Now though he knows he's not cut out for that level, so confidence will be low as he hit his glass ceiling and he knows even if we do get promoted he's unlikely to be coming with us. I can't see him leaving now but I doubt he'll score many for us and think he'll be dropped in the second half of the season.

I might argue that Hepburn-Murphy will have more impact on our first team this season. If people hope Gestede will do the job in the Championship then I get a feeling we're all going to be very disappointed. I'm not against giving him a chance to prove this theory wrong but I can't see him having another season like he did with Blackburn, especially because we're not set up to supply him in the way he needs, using his height.

Even then, his heading technical ability (direction/timing) seems average at best, his height just wins him a few extra balls. And, for a big guy (!), his touch is awful!

7 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

If people hope Gestede will do the job in the Championship then I get a feeling we're all going to be very disappointed. I'm not against giving him a chance to prove this theory wrong but I can't see him having another season like he did with Blackburn

But I think that's the point I and others are trying to make. He's a year removed from scoring 20 goals at this level. If he has a bad season, his value will decrease from its already low level. But if he plays well, the reward far outweighs the risk IMO

15 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

But I think that's the point I and others are trying to make. He's a year removed from scoring 20 goals at this level. If he has a bad season, his value will decrease from its already low level. But if he plays well, the reward far outweighs the risk IMO

I would rather write off the £5m than run the risk of backing this donkey to fire us back up the league, personally.

• Like 1

Maybe Rudy could do OK as an impact sub - if we get service into him. He scored a few decent goals with his head last year - blues, Liverpool come to mind so his aerial threat could be  handy if we are playing teams that sit back and we need to break down - just don't expect him to start leading the line or making clever runs.

Its quite simple..

Cross the ball: Keep him, he will score 15-20 goals in the Championship.

Dont cross the ball / play balls in behind: Sell him, buy a striker who doesnt play with his back to goal. Or keep him as a "plan b".

Just now, pas5898 said:

Cross the ball: Keep him, he will score 15-20 goals in the Championship.

I saw plenty of crosses into the box last season. I also saw a completely immobile striker, someone constantly on his his heels, someone who wouldn't attack a ball, who looked totally clueless on when to run or not. Quite often spotted on the edge of the box day dreaming when a cross came in.

I really don't know how he got the figures he did the past two seasons at Blackburn. I know the quality of opposition is much poorer but even still.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I saw plenty of crosses into the box last season. I also saw a completely immobile striker, someone constantly on his his heels, someone who wouldn't attack a ball, who looked totally clueless on when to run or not. Quite often spotted on the edge of the box day dreaming when a cross came in.

I really don't know how he got the figures he did the past two seasons at Blackburn. I know the quality of opposition is much poorer but even still.

I didn't see many crosses for him last season. What I saw was Sanchez and Westwood passing the ball side to side all game. When the ball (eventually) made it wide, someone like Sinclair would get all excited..... stop.... turn around.... pass the ball the Sanchez or Westwood and we start all over again. 

Point taken though, he is immobile, however he is proven in the championship when you cross the ball to him. 

Edited by pas5898

2 hours ago, meme said:

Match report: FC Nantes 0-1 Villa

Looks a bit odd in that photo, to say the least?

His head is tiny compared to the rest of his body...

The duck face...

I know it's only a friendly but I can't believe he's playing darts during the game! No wonder he looks distracted. 

Rudy out!!

He really needs to sharpen up in the final third, seems to be behind play constantly in the pre-season games so far. I know he's hardly quick, or and on the shoulder striker but he isn't gambling where the ball may go. 

Deffo a position that needs strengthening if we play with Ayew as a number 10

32 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

He really needs to sharpen up in the final third, seems to be behind play constantly in the pre-season games so far. I know he's hardly quick, or and on the shoulder striker but he isn't gambling where the ball may go. 

Deffo a position that needs strengthening if we play with Ayew as a number 10

Been saying it for 12 months. It isn't going to happen. He is a braindead **** lump.

Gestede plays as a starter, no promotion.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Been saying it for 12 months. It isn't going to happen. He is a braindead **** lump.

Gestede plays as a starter, no promotion.

Nicely put sir.

he is surely going to be backup or alternative option if we start playing long or crossing.

I would like a more dynamic forward, strong, pacy, gets into more dangerous areas. 

Â