Rudy Gestede

midian

Carroll's all round game is top notch, very underated and a much more accomplished and intelligent footballer than people give him credit for.

As for Gestede's acceleration and agility, any improvements would be marginal. He is a big, lumbering sack of shit. 

• Like 3

For me , he could be our key player next season.Never got the service he requires, but looks our only goal threat, and has a good goalscoring record in the Championship.Hes better than Kozak, and we need to get some players in who complement him.Wells and Gayle would be ideal.

our best player yesterday, its not hard to notice he causes chaos coming off the bench. Would have caused nightmares for Blind if had another 10 minutes on the pitch

has won the 2nd most aerial duals in the league this season

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

our best player yesterday, its not hard to notice he causes chaos coming off the bench. Would have caused nightmares for Blind if had another 10 minutes on the pitch

has won the 2nd most aerial duals in the league this season

Doesn't matter when 9 out of 10 of those headers are laughably bad and usually in areas that don't hurt opposition. 

I find it funny he always wins the 'easy' ones where he backs into a striker but he isn't willing to throw himself at a header like Andy Carroll does. He is weak and he is a wimp.

I hope to God 10 minute cameos is all he gets next season.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

Great option off the bench for us in the championship.  However,  as with every position on the field,  we are desperate for strengthening in the forward line (Delete and replace with any of the following as appropriate: Goalkeeping, Defence, Midfield) so we have a main striker.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Doesn't matter when 9 out of 10 of those headers are laughably bad and usually in areas that don't hurt opposition. 

I find it funny he always wins the 'easy' ones where he backs into a striker but he isn't willing to throw himself at a header like Andy Carroll does. He is weak and he is a wimp.

I hope to God 10 minute cameos is all he gets next season.

It's our absolute lack of crossing that kills Gestede's heading ability - not his heading ability.

I was going to mention his header against Liverpool but someone beat me to it.  If you have someone providing balls for Gestede to attack, he's really very good.  If you stand a ball up in the air, he's not as great.

To sign him as a focal point attacker but have no-one willing/able to give him decent service has been a big part in our terrible season.

• Like 1

to sign a striker so one dimensional has been a big part in our terrible season...

if we play it long he cant chase it, if we put it up high to him he cant bring it down or flick it on, if we play it in to feet he cant control it, he cant hold the ball up and bring other in to play, he cant press high up the pitch, he cant track back, he cant move between the lines, he cant drop deep and influence the game

BUT IF WE CROSS THE BALL HE WILL SCORE :hooray: (apart from when we have crossed the ball and he hasnt...)

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

to sign a striker so one dimensional has been a big part in our terrible season...

if we play it long he cant chase it, if we put it up high to him he cant bring it down or flick it on, if we play it in to feet he cant control it, he cant hold the ball up and bring other in to play, he cant press high up the pitch, he cant track back, he cant move between the lines, he cant drop deep and influence the game

BUT IF WE CROSS THE BALL HE WILL SCORE :hooray: (apart from when we have crossed the ball and he hasnt...)

Apart from the fact that when we put it up high to him, he tends to win the ball... yes, exactly.

It's almost like having a plan to utilise our strikers might have worked or something :detect: 

In fairnes as much as he's been horrible to watch, Gestede has had some decent games off the bench. Caused havoc on Saturday, played well when he came on v Leicester and I remember he played well when he came on v Newcastle over xmas.

That's the problem, he's starting too many games this season for his ability, due to our woeful recruitment policy which means he effectively replaced Benteke.

Think back to August and Adebayor was signing on the same day as him. I know Adebayor is a fruitcake but he's had some decent games with Palace (great run for the goal yesterday) and Sherwood already got great form out of him for Spurs.

So it would've been logical for Adebayor to be first choice while Gestede was an impact sub and adapted to the prem that way and also coming in for the odd start.

Think we'd have seen a better player that way rather than someone who's looked out of his depth starting too many games.

• Like 2

Â