Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

Not sure I would want to see him in a Villa shirt again after these comments.

I could have stayed in the Premier League… but I did not want to relive a season in the bottom of the rankings.

“What I wanted was to find fun playing and the taste of victory. Saint Etienne offers me the challenge.”

http://sportwitness.co.uk/france-aston-villa-refused-play-veretout-one-game-due-nantes-bonus/

Edited by striker

I was hopeful of Veretout being a great player for us. It hasn't worked out and probably won't. Nantes have always been the European team I follow since going on holiday most years to Western France. Early on in this thread I said that I hoped he didn't go the way of Berson and Djemba Djemba who both came from Nantes (via Man Utd in DD's case) but here we are.

By all accounts he had a torrid start settling in, which has no doubt played a big part in him not being what we hoped. Something like that is just so hard to over come once it gets a hold.

Hopefully he starts to enjoy his football and life again and fulfills some of his potential. I'd still like to see him back and give it another go, although I think there will only be the off chance of that.

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's shite, I have no interest in taking him back, he is physically weak, has awful stamina and doesn't deliver a huge amount of quality on the ball.

Got to agree here. He is abysmal

I think moving abroad and not speaking the language (where you've got very little chance of people speaking French too) can have a huge impact on people. I think before signing our next players from abroad we next to take the following into consideration. 

Can they at least speak basic English? 

Do they have somewhere ready to live (not in a hotel)?

Are the rest of their family happy with the move?

I think Lorna McClelland's departure is going to make all of this a bigger challenge. Signing players who are playing in England already gets around most of the issues above and we ought to sign our foreign recruits early into the academy like Arsenal do to give them several years to settle in. 

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No, and why would you recall a player who doesn't have the slightest interest in playing for the club?

To play alongside the other ten who dont have the slightest.....

(bit harsh actually)

I'd have him back tomorrow

Whether he is a good footballer or not.....He was not what our team needed.

......another lightweight......just a part of the overall imbalance.

Edited by TRO

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'd have him back tomorrow

I'd wait until Wednesday, I'm busy tomorrow. 

But I would have him back if he wanted to play for the new manager. More options in midfield wouldn't go amiss. I doubt he will want to though. 

Â