Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

£9-12m for Jordan Ayew LOL. Dear me. Sums up the sorry state the Premier League is in with it's false economy.

We've bought some tat so far at silly prices. At least is he's familiar with relegation battles.

French laughing all the way to the bank at our expense (again).

It looks like some people are happy with us spending big money on anybody with a foreign name.

Cool story

• Like 1

Kind of feel for him over this, but not shocked this as happened. Poor showing from his club though he a deal had already been agreed beforehand: 

"It is incomprehensible," said Ayew.

"I was told that I could leave for 12 million Euros, but now they are asking for 10 million in pounds with two million in bonuses, which makes up about 17 million Euros. What the hell!

"This meeting finished very badly. I am really very annoyed, but it is incredible what they are doing to me. They were telling me about how much Amavi was bought for by Aston Villa, but I am not Amavi. We are two different players who have two different situations. They are basically saying that English clubs can only pay more because they have money.

"It is finished for me, they bought me for 5 million Euros and they are blocking me. I am in Birmingham, I am on my way to Aston Villa. Nothing will change my decision. I told them: But why do you want to keep me at this point?"

"It is the right moment. My wife speaks English. In any case I am no longer going to training. It is finished for me.

"It is true that I have a contract, but I had a good year, they will make a good profit and you cannot change the rules of the game like that. I can leave for one sum but if it is Aston Villa I am worth more. In my head in any case I have left."

Everyone has a different view, even when talking about existing players, that is half the fun.  But some of the extreme statements on this thread are ridiculous.  There’s nothing wrong with being critical and voicing concerns about a potential signing etc., but to write a player off and label him a  “dud” or “tat” before he’s signed or kicked a ball is utter nonsense.  Who knows how he’ll do, but I support and back the club; they will have done their research.  Trashing players for sport helps no one, including the posters!

Kind of feel for him over this, but not shocked this as happened. Poor showing from his club though he a deal had already been agreed beforehand: 

"I was told that I could leave for 12 million Euros, but now they are asking for 10 million in pounds with two million in bonuses, which makes up about 17 million Euros. What the hell!

"This meeting finished very badly. I am really very annoyed, but it is incredible what they are doing to me. They were telling me about how much Amavi was bought for by Aston Villa, but I am not Amavi. We are two different players who have two different situations. They are basically saying that English clubs can only pay more because they have money.

"It is finished for me, they bought me for 5 million Euros and they are blocking me. I am in Birmingham, I am on my way to Aston Villa. Nothing will change my decision. I told them: But why do you want to keep me at this point?"

"It is the right moment. My wife speaks English. In any case I am no longer going to training. It is finished for me.

"It is true that I have a contract, but I had a good year, they will make a good profit and you cannot change the rules of the game like that. I can leave for one sum but if it is Aston Villa I am worth more. In my head in any case I have left."

Sounds like the club have done a Delph on him

• Like 1

Slightly worried by his attitude. A fee hasn't been agreed and he's spouting off a out the club publicly.

I think the selling club have changed the goalposts. His agent said fee was agreed etc. this is like the milner saga. He was at bodymoor Heath ready to join then shepherd called him back. Different reasons but still selling club called the deal off and Milner was in tears. Think same here things agreed then pull the plug (sort of) Player upset and wanting a move. Just my take on things.

This thread is depressing, he’s already a dud in most people’s eyes and there’s toys being thrown around over the sum paid. I’d sorta like to blow some money on a luxury player thank you very much. We’ve stopped scrapping the barrel of Lambert’s “he could do a job” type players.

Maybe he’s a massive success, maybe he’s shite, maybe, we’re acting like a PL club being extorted for players at any price. I’m just glad to see the club behaving in the manner those around us do.

This post is depressing. One person, as far as I'm aware, has called him a dud.

Now it's in 'most peoples' eyes.

Internet overreaction at its most blatant.

Steady on there fella, I felt a good few of posts were suggesting he wasn’t up to much, plus the previous from the speculation.
I'm fairly confident that 'most' is a clear exaggeration. It's definitely a minority who have claimed he is a dud or similar. Most people appear to have the same opinion that you and I have; maybe he'll be good, maybe not, I haven't watched him live but it's nice to see us spending some money for once.

I have no problem with his comments, he clearly wants to play for us and he's annoyed that his club appear to be backtracking on an agreement.

We need players with this sort of desire.

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly.

Agreeing a deal in principle, letting the player come to the UK and arrange a medical, then asking for another £2m is poor form.

However, he is their player, they do retain the registration and their beef is with him more than us.

If we want him, it's important that the club dig in with him on this. If we back his stance then he'll know we've got his back and you get a bit of a head start in forming a bond, if we pay the money, we get the player and it's fine, but for him, there will always be the idea that we folded and that by extension he lost something against Lorient. 

£9-12m for Jordan Ayew LOL. Dear me. Sums up the sorry state the Premier League is in with it's false economy.

I know a lot of people are worried about the money but you have to take the long view.  We are essentially converting one asset (cash) into another asset (footballer) which we will then convert back to cash in the future. Ayew is 23 and is probably a couple of years away from his prime.  We can reasonably expect a decent sell-on value in 3 or so years. How he develops will determine if we incur a loss, breakeven or make a profit, but we will certainly get a good chunk of that money back.  What is good about our current approach is we are buying a good stock of young ambitious talent with bags of potential to improve. So to me £30m on, for example, Jordan Ayew, Idrissa Gueye and Jordan Amavi is a good investment because the aggregate resale value is likely to be greater than £30m, at least IMO.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for him if he was told he could leave for a figure and now they've changed their minds because Villa have the Benteke money. Fair play to the lad for speaking up for himself and for Villa. Sounds like he really wants to come to Brum and, with the way things have been for us recently, I'm very happy to see a player that wants to play for us. Of course, money and the prestige of the league probably comes n to it. It would probably does for every player though!

Â