Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He wasn't even average by PL standards, I really do think he is over rated by many on here.

I think he improved as the season progressed. His work rate makes him an ideal candidate for that number 10 role as he's prepared to put it in going away from goal as well. I do think that he'd do well in this league.

He is definitely overrated, but that is because the players around him make him look so good so he stands out!  My one slight concern about him is he believes his own hype and overrates himself a bit. He seems to get a lot of smoke blown up his arse (I remember that reporter for African television saying something like "how does it feel to have been relegated in a poor team when you were so sensational" - well he was decent after a poor start to the season but sensational might be stretching it a bit!  To be clear, I don't have any issues with him and definitely want him to stay because he will do well, but he should recognize he is not the finished product yet and he can still improve his game quite a lot - definitely in terms of movement and decision-making.

35 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He wasn't even average by PL standards, I really do think he is over rated by many on here.

I think its pretty hard to judge how bad/good(term used loosely) players actually were individually last season when collectively they were shocking. Ayew at least showed a bit of fight and glimpses of quality, but in terms of how good he is, I think we have no idea.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC

13 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

I think he improved as the season progressed. His work rate makes him an ideal candidate for that number 10 role as he's prepared to put it in going away from goal as well. I do think that he'd do well in this league.

As it's been mentioned, he's our only real attacking outlet so could be easily marked out of a game and we have nothing else to offer. With a decent striker up with him it frees up some space which I think he'll comfortably exploit in our division.

Scored 27 goals last season. Not any individual player, that was Aston Villa over 38 matches. With poor posession, uncreative attack, and players going AWOL in support, we were never going to have a 20 + goal scorer. Even if we had our pick of any decent striker, with our diabolical playing style, even they would have struggled finding the net.

I am hoping we change our style of relying on Hutton or Bacuna crossing it in to find Gestede's head amongst 3 defenders and a goalkeeper, and we actually use some more creativity, and stop treating the box like it is surrounded by barbed wire. Just maybe then, we might get our 20 + goalscorer, and I believe Ayew can be that guy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AJ said:

Scored 27 goals last season. Not any individual player, that was Aston Villa over 38 matches. With poor posession, uncreative attack, and players going AWOL in support, we were never going to have a 20 + goal scorer. Even if we had our pick of any decent striker, with our diabolical playing style, even they would have struggled finding the net.

I am hoping we change our style of relying on Hutton or Bacuna crossing it in to find Gestede's head amongst 3 defenders and a goalkeeper, and we actually use some more creativity, and stop treating the box like it is surrounded by barbed wire. Just maybe then, we might get our 20 + goalscorer, and I believe Ayew can be that guy.

But he's not really a goal scorer, is he?

34 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

But he's not really a goal scorer, is he?

For me could/should be play him upfront not out wide or as a number 10 and he will get more goals. Either as a two or one with attaching players (Grealish/green etc) round him would get the best from him.

Ayew's gonna get a lot of assists this season, so long as we can get a decent mobile striker in, can see him working really well with that Bristol City striker, and actually maybe we will see something with young Rushian. 

11 hours ago, AJ said:

Possibly- or you could say that Benteke in his first season scored a bucketful in a side at least on paper was worse than last season's "team".

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

For me could/should be play him upfront not out wide or as a number 10 and he will get more goals. Either as a two or one with attaching players (Grealish/green etc) round him would get the best from him.

Maybe... I think he's more of a passer and controller of a game than a goal scorer... he will occationally score, so I expect 5-10 goals from him in a number 10 type role.

21 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Maybe... I think he's more of a passer and controller of a game than a goal scorer... he will occationally score, so I expect 5-10 goals from him in a number 10 type role.

I don't see him passing much. He gets the ball edge of the box and is always looking to beat his and get a shot off. Think his finishing is pretty good and if we get service to him in the box he'll thrive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don't see him passing much. He gets the ball edge of the box and is always looking to beat his and get a shot off. Think his finishing is pretty good and if we get service to him in the box he'll thrive.

Definitely not the main striker I would expect more than 5-10 from him from the number 10 slot though.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Possibly- or you could say that Benteke in his first season scored a bucketful in a side at least on paper was worse than last season's "team".

My point is, we could improve our goal tally if we overhaul our style of play. Posession of the ball was diabolical. It starts from the back. When Guzan got his mitts on the ball, he would look around the pitch like he has inexplicably woken up in a tree, and by the time he has released, the other team has set their defence, killing off any chance of counter attack. In midfield, it was sideways and back passes, with any forward passes way too easily picked off, or passed straight to the opposition. The only other option is to give it to Hutton to try to cross it in to the one Villa striker in the box amongst 3 defenders and a goal keeper, hoping it somehow it boinks into his head, and the goalkeeper is in the middle of a dance break to be paying any attention.

No team will win playing like this, but that was Villa last season, and no striker will get to score too many goals playing like that.

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Grealish is over rated , Ayew is if anything under rated

I was at Bristol last week and he's on a different wave length to the average players around him (and his frustration was evident )

he's not in Benteke's class but he's easily the best player currently at the club ( not that it's really a measuring stick for PL standards sadly )

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KSV said:

Lequipe running a story about Ayew 'wanting to leave the club'. Great. This off season has been fantastic. 

Where have you seen this? i have been on l'equipe cant see anything?

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Where have you seen this? i have been on l'equipe cant see anything?

Its on that Sport Witness site which translates Lequipe articles. Another one on Gueye move happening

Â