Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If Ayew stays, we have a good chance of promotion.

If he leaves, no chance.

I wouldn't pin all your hopes on a striker who has scored less than 50 goals in 7 seasons. He was the best of a terrible bunch last year,  but if someone came in with a decent offer and he wants to go I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I wouldn't pin all your hopes on a striker who has scored less than 50 goals in 7 seasons. He was the best of a terrible bunch last year,  but if someone came in with a decent offer and he wants to go I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

He will probably be the best of a terrible bunch again this year.

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If Ayew stays, we have a good chance of promotion.

If he leaves, no chance.

Ridiculous. You're suggesting that he makes a massive difference. He doesn't. 

I don't recall anytime last season where our fortunes were drastically different because of jordan ayew.

The best player yeah but no more than that. 

I was the best player in my school basketball team but we still got thumped each game. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I don't recall anytime last season where our fortunes were drastically different because of jordan ayew.

I was the best player in my school basketball team but we still got thumped each game. 

He's good player, probably our best atm, but I understand where you're coming from - plenty of raw talent but not the finished article by a long stretch - still has to work at improving his decision making and running off the ball to become a top draw striker.  Still not 100% what his best position is actually..

Edited by Gary Thomas

16 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Might as well sell him then. 
We'll easily replace him and race to 100pts.

F*** it, sell Grealish as well. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Woodytom said:

The red card vs. West Ham made a pretty big difference to be fair. We had started to gather a bit of momentum and he was clearly our best player at that point. We were in a lot of trouble anyway and maybe it was a case of even dead dogs kick but after he got that red card we just fell to bits really and the final nail was well and truly put in the coffin. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeah because that is what I said.

Or I just said that it was ridiculous to suggest that selling ayew was the difference between playoffs and getting nowhere near them. 

Which it is.

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Jordan Ayew doesn't mean we have a "good chance" of promotion - to the same extent that not having Jordan Ayew doesn't mean we have "no chance".

Likewise with Jack Grealish, for what it's worth. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Yes. He is the difference.

Just like McCormack has kept Fulham up the last two seasons and Andre Gray was the reason Burnley were promoted. Everybody in that division is looking for that 20 goal striker and if they find him, he is the difference.

We currently have 1 way of scoring and this is to hope Ayew does something a little different because we have absolutely nothing in the final third.

As things stand, lose him, and we're f******.

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Jordan Ayew doesn't mean we have a "good chance" of promotion - to the same extent that not having Jordan Ayew doesn't mean we have "no chance".

Likewise with Jack Grealish, for what it's worth. 

Considering how a striker almost single-handedly kept up is the prem for a few seasons, it seems strange to write off the importance of a good one, especially one who is clearly comfortably better than championship level. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yes. He is the difference.

Just like McCormack has kept Fulham up he last two seasons and Andre Gray was the reason Burnley were promoted. Everybody in that division is looking for that 20 goal striker and if they find him, he is the difference.

We currently have 1 way of scoring and this is to hope Ayew does something a little different because we have absolutely nothing in the final third.

As things stand, lose him, and we're f******.

If Ayew scores 20+ goals this season then your statement would be more correct. But it's yet to be seen if he can do that. He scored 5 goals last year. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Considering how a striker almost single-handedly kept up is the prem for a few seasons, it seems strange to write off the importance of a good one, especially one who is clearly comfortably better than championship level. 

A prolific striker kept us in the Premier League for a little while, sure.

Did Ayew manage this?

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

A prolific striker kept us in the Premier League for a little while, sure.

Did Ayew manage this?

We're not comparing him to Benteke, nor saying he was good enough to keep us in the Premier League single handedly:

I think he is a ridiculously good striker to have at this level and losing him doesn't bear thinking about considering the alternatives...

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

We're not comparing him to Benteke, nor saying he was good enough to keep us in the Premier League single handedly:

I think he is a ridiculously good striker to have at this level and losing him doesn't bear thinking about considering the alternatives...

No player from last season is irreplaceable.

Obviously in an ideal world he stays but if he were to go, our chances of promotion would not go with him.

We already appear to be quite far down the road of bringing in another striker-There will be a contingency for Aywe leaving as well.

Yes, we could do with keeping Aywe but lets not put him on too high a pedestal just yet.

21 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He scored 5 goals. He's looked good but still has to prove he is that difference maker. He has the potential to be one of the best strikers in the league but he needs to live up to it. He wasn't outstanding at premier league level. 

Â