Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

Rusty in defence but that's understandable due to being out for so long, however showed promise fitness and speed wise and also went forward well.

think he was left exposed by Grealish (or whoever was playing left wing) a lot of the match but he did switch off for their opener.

Lovely seeing an actual fullback play for us, I almost forgot what that looked like. Playing him instead of Cissokho is like upgrading from dial-up internet to 50 mbps broadband. There should be no reason for us to go back to dial-up. Ever.

I love this guy going forward - his movement, crossing, pace, but he does need to work on his defense. I know he's rusty, but even last year he showed some defensive frailties.  He will get better as he matures, I am sure, and I think he will be less exposed in the championship. I expect a lot of teams to sit back against us (once we get going) and I think Amavi will be a great asset going forward. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I love this guy going forward - his movement, crossing, pace, but he does need to work on his defense. I know he's rusty, but even last year he showed some defensive frailties.  He will get better as he matures, I am sure, and I think he will be less exposed in the championship. I expect a lot of teams to sit back against us (once we get going) and I think Amavi will be a great asset going forward. 

I agree with that, and hopefully with some better CB's playing and communicating better with him, the defensive side of his game will improve as well.

• Like 1

Poor defender. I agreed with Sherwood last year when he dropped Amavi for his mistakes, and it looks like Amavi continues where he left off.

He obviously has good qualities in the offensive end, but I'm not sure it's enough.

• Like 1

It may be because he is still game rusty but I felt he was a little selfish with his one surging run, late in the second half - he had an opportunity to pass the ball beffore he had it taken off him (or was he nervous of passing the ball to an ineffectual team mate and thought "I may as well have a go myself"?) Apart from that minor criticism, I thought he played well and showed a lot of strength and confidence.

15 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

watching the liverpool game and i am getting a bit worried that they will come back in for him. Moreno has been diabolical so far 

Amavi performance vs Luton was just as bad

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yes, but that was his first competitive game for how many months?

He was poor before his injury too, he can't defend and IMO is an exact replica of Moreno

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KHV said:

He was poor before his injury too, he can't defend and IMO is an exact replica of Moreno

Well at least you've given him time to settle for judging that he "can't defend"... 

• Like 1

I speculated after a few weeks here that he, like Gareth Bale, may benefit more from being moved further up the pitch into midfield. He's not a bad tackler but his positioning is not very good and he is prone to lapses in concentration at the back, but of course he's very good going forward.

Will be interesting to see how he develops this season, regardless of where he plays it's fair to say that I can't wait to see him back in the side. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I speculated after a few weeks here that he, like Gareth Bale, may benefit more from being moved further up the pitch into midfield. He's not a bad tackler but his positioning is not very good and he is prone to lapses in concentration at the back, but of course he's very good going forward.

Will be interesting to see how he develops this season, regardless of where he plays it's fair to say that I can't wait to see him back in the side. 

I think so too. I don't see him as a great LB, but he could be great in midfield.

Â