Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

21 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Xia has made it clear he isn't going anywhere.

That's not the problem. The problem is the player having his head turned. It's all down hill room there. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

That's not the problem. The problem is the player having his head turned. It's all down hill room there. 

I get the feeling Tony doesn't give a monkeys about what players want, if there's no release clause and he wants them to stay, he ain't selling. Player/agent have zero leverage in that situation regardless of what they want. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I get the feeling Tony doesn't give a monkeys about what players want, if there's no release clause and he wants them to stay, he ain't selling. Player/agent have zero leverage in that situation regardless of what they want. 

I agree and to me he is sending a massive signal of intent, we are trying to build something great and we have no interest in being a selling club.  I also suspect we will be seeing less release clauses in new player contracts.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Just now, Gary Thomas said:

I agree and to me he is sending a massive signal of intent, we are trying to build something great and we have no interest in being a selling club.  I also suspect we be seeing less release clauses in new player contracts.

I know its wishful thinking to see players lose a bit of power, but yeah, Tony's reaction to those with a release clause and his use of language (betrayl, snakes) - tells me that he will be wearing the trousers from here on in - they may be tailored a little better than his sleeves. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeh, I remember there was a club called Genk who tried that once with some guy called Benteke. Wonder how that went? I know Tony Xia is now being invested with superhero powers by some on this site, but bringing an end to player power may be beyond even his underpants over tights act.

• Like 1

Just now, briny_ear said:

Yeh, I remember there was a club called Genk who tried that once with some guy called Benteke. Wonder how that went? I know Tony Xia is now being invested with superhero powers by some on this site, but bringing an end to player power may be beyond even his underpants over tights act.

But Genk needed the money, if tony is loaded then he can afford an unhappy player. Even peace at wba showed what could be done with berahino.

It’s not so much player power, it’s the lure of money.  The big boys come calling and typically we sell.  I just get the feeling Xia isn’t going to play that game because of his ambitions and (hopefully) his wealth.

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So then we potentially get stuck with a sulking player who could be a bad influence in the dressing room?

He's world class player and when the big boys come, what position are we in? 

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

So then we potentially get stuck with a sulking player who could be a bad influence in the dressing room?

What position are we in?  We say no unless the fee is so high we 'want' to sell. 

I get the impression Amavi wants to stay anyway (and Xia will not sell) so this is all hypotehtical anyway.

6 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Yeah sounds easy doesn't it this owning lark - however if we are to claw our way to the top half of the prem any decade soon, we have seen from last summer that we cannot afford to have any player who is not comitted to the cause - and that goes for any new signings, if they insist on a release clause because we are a stepping stone for them then they ain't welcome in the first place. That is an ethos that this owner wants and I for one am very happy for that to happen, even if we end up with one or two sulkers along the way. Again see Berahino, it can be done. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Remember there was a club called Aston Villa who tried that with some guy named Gareth Barry?

There's been no suggestion Amavi wants to leave anyway. At all. 

This was the time when Liverpool wanted him right? I think that this was the last time we told the "big boy" to do one so to speak. Every time since then we've bent over, handed the vaseline to the buying club while biting our lip and digging our fingernails into the desk in front of us to brace ourselves for what was to come. At least when he did eventually go he went to City and won something and made something of himself. Not just went to Liverpool and did what everybody else does when they go there.

FWIW I don't see Amavi going anywhere....... yet.

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

This was the time when Liverpool wanted him right? I think that this was the last time we told the "big boy" to do one so to speak. Every time since then we've bent over, handed the vaseline to the buying club while biting our lip and digging our fingernails into the desk in front of us to brace ourselves for what was to come. At least when he did eventually go he went to City and won something and made something of himself. Not just went to Liverpool and did what everybody else does when they go there.

I was actually a little bit aroused there mate, you should write smutty fiction. 

4 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Actually, Benteke and Tottenham?

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeah sounds easy doesn't it this owning lark - however if we are to claw our way to the top half of the prem any decade soon, we have seen from last summer that we cannot afford to have any player who is not comitted to the cause - and that goes for any new signings, if they insist on a release clause because we are a stepping stone for them then they ain't welcome in the first place. That is an ethos that this owner wants and I for one am very happy for that to happen, even if we end up with one or two sulkers along the way. Again see Berahino, it can be done. 

And Stones last year?  Note Everton have just told Man City he will cost them £50m and no less.

Â