Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

This is also a translation of a French interview so things like that are the first to be lost in translation. Something which could be nuanced and subtle in one language can be hamfistedly translated into another and made to sound altogether less diplomatic.

I think we're maybe all still a little raw and defensive after the events of the past week.

I'm all for signing players that want to better themselves and move on to bigger things.

Aside from the fact that if the club isn't sold we will probably need the money then maybe just maybe we will improve.

What I'm sick of is players that see playing for us and the things that go with it as being their pinnacle and they perform as such or won't move on when they fail.

As for being honest about it I'll take that every day over Delph.

• Like 1

I love the people who are offended about Gueye's comments. I can't say that I'm surprised, though, in this day and age when everyone needs to be offended by something.

His comments are, IMO, genuine and pragmatic. It's not exactly like we're competing for Europe or the league title folks.

I'll take honestly over snake whispers any day of the week.

Thank you. I am quite fond of you too.

• Like 3

I'd be more suspicious of foreign players joining us saying how pleased they are to be at Villa and that its the highlight of their careers. 

I want them to want to be better than us. I want them to work their nuts off to get there and drag us up in the process. Ambition is great. Now they have to back it up with performances. 

• Like 2

Will 33 be Amavi's squad number?

I doubt it. When you look a few of the photos from training sessions, a lot of the players are wearing random numbers. We didn't have a 3 last year so that will probably be Amavi's, however he was 19 at Nice.

I reckon Gueye might have 8, but he was 5 at Lille so he would have to fight Okore if he wanted it. That's a 50:50 fight I think........

Those grumbling about a few comments need to realise that we along with 15 other teams in the premiership will always be a stepping stone for young and ambitious players. We have been for many many years. The difference is the last few years we have brought that much crap, and couple that with the idiotic way the club has been run we haven't had the players to sell on, bar young and milner. The rest have been so poor we've let go for pennies.

What matters is that when the players put that top on and play for us is that they produce the goods. Who really gives a shit anymore what the players truly care about as long as they earn their wages on a Saturday?! We as a club need to start being more ruthless and business minded instead of throwing money away on large contracts for players with nothing to prove or a lack of talent and no resale value. Build them up, double your money. Slowly but surely over time we will be able to start swinging the odd top class signing and therefore hold on to our better players longer hopefully getting back where we belong.

For the first time in a long time I am actually quite looking forward to a new Aston Villa, off the pitch and on it. Sure we will have rocky moments ahead but with the players we are looking or trying to sign I see positivity for the first time in a long time. And Sherwood as with the players he's bringing in has plenty to prove. I like that!  

Yep, listened to a bit of talksport on the way home, I think they did an hour on us and how we've become a shambles of a selling club when we should be this or that, followed by an hour on how John Stones should go to Chelsea...

We're all selling clubs but only a few of us realise it, won't change until the others realise what's going on but when you have fans as deluded as Liverpool who claim they should do something, journalists who constantly claim Everton could do something and spurs claiming they'll get the stadium and will do something... It's all bollocks

Those grumbling about a few comments need to realise that we along with 15 other teams in the premiership will always be a stepping stone for young and ambitious players. We have been for many many years. The difference is the last few years we have brought that much crap, and couple that with the idiotic way the club has been run we haven't had the players to sell on, bar young and milner. The rest have been so poor we've let go for pennies.

What matters is that when the players put that top on and play for us is that they produce the goods. Who really gives a shit anymore what the players truly care about as long as they earn their wages on a Saturday?! We as a club need to start being more ruthless and business minded instead of throwing money away on large contracts for players with nothing to prove or a lack of talent and no resale value. Build them up, double your money. Slowly but surely over time we will be able to start swinging the odd top class signing and therefore hold on to our better players longer hopefully getting back where we belong.

For the first time in a long time I am actually quite looking forward to a new Aston Villa, off the pitch and on it. Sure we will have rocky moments ahead but with the players we are looking or trying to sign I see positivity for the first time in a long time. And Sherwood as with the players he's bringing in has plenty to prove. I like that!  

You are saying that anyone unhappy about the comments has an unrealistic notion of Aston Villa as a club. Not so. I know where we are. I know we, as with virtually all of the Premier League clubs, are a stepping stone and have been for many years now. But what annoyed me was the stupidity and disrespect of the comments.

I also know that both these guys, Amavi in particular, will wish to move on to better things. I have no problem with that; I admire ambition, and I hope we get 3/4 more like them in. And I expect nothing more than that these guys give their all for the money, not the club. We support the club, they do not, and should not be expected to.

I should say that apart from that, I agree with the remainder of your post.

• Like 1

Yep, listened to a bit of talksport on the way home, I think they did an hour on us and how we've become a shambles of a selling club when we should be this or that, followed by an hour on how John Stones should go to Chelsea...

I turned it off after a few minutes when Darren "I'm from Yorkshire" gaugh said we were certainties to go down because we've got rid of Weimann

I turned it off after a few minutes when Darren "I'm from Yorkshire" gaugh said we were certainties to go down because we've got rid of Weimann

Haha I missed that!

I'm guessing hey focused on who we had lost rather than who we had replaced them with

If we can keep him fit Sinclair is definitely a better player than weimann, I don't think Richards will be better than vlaar

But there's every danger gueye will be a better player than cleverley

Being a stepping stone isn't a bad thing as it will encourage more high profile potential talents to come here - on the 1 hand they do well and we sell them on for big profits, or on the other hand they all come good at the same time and we get a "you don't win anything with kids" scenario...for the non oil rich teams in the league what other chance have we got to get anywhere near the top? The "nice guy" mentality hasn't exactly worked the last few years, let's give this a go eh?

I think it's excellent that he sees us as a stepping stone to a bigger club. (If indeed t hat's what he said.)

It means he will want to do ever so well for us so as to earn the chance to move on.

In case some people hadn't noticed, there is a transfer system in operation in professional football in which players can move to other clubs from time to time to better their prospects.

• Like 1

I'd be more suspicious of foreign players joining us saying how pleased they are to be at Villa and that its the highlight of their careers. 

I want them to want to be better than us. I want them to work their nuts off to get there and drag us up in the process. Ambition is great. Now they have to back it up with performances. 

This. 

Do these players have any common sense or **** media training???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you like him to say "I have always loved Aston Villa, they're my favorite club and I would love to see out the rest of my career here"? He's a Ghanaian who's played the majority of his career in France. We finished 17th last season. Get a grip. 

To get better we need better players. To hold on to those better players we need to get better.

If we just concentrate on bringing in players who see us as their level or as the big time, we will not improve as a team.

Â