Micah Richards

Demitri_C

He was made captain and played as a centre back under Sherwood. Who Garde has as captain is up to him and likewise so is where he plays him.

Agreed, I think the problem is that the expectation has been set for this season and RG probably thought it would be more disruption at a time where he's been trying to instill some consistency

Doubt for a second this is true but if it is, it just confirms my opinion that Garde is not the manager to get us out of this mess. We need a big Sam or Pulis who will take tough decisions and be brutal with the squad if necessary.

I doubt a Big Sam or Pulis would make a superfluous decision that can hamper already fragile squad morale.

OK, so moving him from CB would be a "superfluous decision" which would damage squad morale? That seems very much out of step with the general sentiment of the last few pages of this thread, which is what I was responding to.

If you think Richards is OK as CB and captain, fine, but you have a bit of explaining to do!

Specifically, I was responding to an argument that Garde was too weak to make a decision he ought to take to improve the playing of the team. As I said, I doubt for a second this is true, but....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

OK, so moving him from CB would be a "superfluous decision" which would damage squad morale? That seems very much out of step with the general sentiment of the last few pages of this thread, which is what I was responding to.

If you think Richards is OK as CB and captain, fine, but you have a bit of explaining to do!

Specifically, I was responding to an argument that Garde was too weak to make a decision he ought to take to improve the playing of the team. As I said, I doubt for a second this is true, but....

No I meant stripping him of the captaincy would be a superfluous decision considering there aren't really any significantly better suited candidates. I'm all for moving him to right-back actually. I'm not totally convinced on his abilities at CB and think he's a far superior RB as he's shown in his career.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

He'd do a lot more damage from right-back than Hutton does.

Opposition teams might not allow him as much space as they do Hutton. But of course that would benefit us in other areas of the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

He'd do a lot more damage from right-back than Hutton does.

Or a lot less damage depending on your view point. 

I doubt a Big Sam or Pulis would make a superfluous decision that can hamper already fragile squad morale.

I never said he was too weak, just that he might have considered it too disruptive at the time... ie. there was no best 11 at the time, Sherwood was all over the place with tactics, selection etc, Remi may have thought keeping Micah as captain for now was the best option. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though

Ray Wilkins was on Sky for the Newcastle or Arsenal game and they were talking of Richards being out and he said (along the lines of) - hes the only one who talks in that dressing room, he's their leader...

he's the captain of the side, might be playing like a pr*ck but how many of them aren't?!?

You can't question this lad"s endeavour  , in a team bereft of confidence you have to expect individual errors , but to castigate the one player whose pain at our plight is there for all to see , and accuse him of a lack of effort , well no wonder the poor lad is hurting ,. His reaction alone speaks volumes .

18 hours ago, chrissmith921 said:

Ray Wilkins was on Sky for the Newcastle or Arsenal game and they were talking of Richards being out and he said (along the lines of) - hes the only one who talks in that dressing room, he's their leader...

he's the captain of the side, might be playing like a pr*ck but how many of them aren't?!?

If he's the leader, it explains a lot about our current predicament. 

Should replace Hutton at RB. Okore and Lescott is as solid as we've looked at the back. In the last two years we've always looked at our best with Okore at CB, which is not a coincidence. Richards has had a decent season generally but his positioning is still suspect and that buggers the whole defence up. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He was our best player before his injury. I see the Villa Talk nutter squad is out in force again.

Was going to say the same thing.

This thread is a microcosm of VillaTalk. You're entirely judged on your last game.

Richards was pretty unanimously our POTS so far before his injury.
One mistake on his return and now he's the worst player in the universe.

I would be surprised. but this is VillaTalk and it's full of **** maniacs.

• Like 3

If there was ever a time for Hutton to be dropped and Richards to move to right back, it was after Hutton's performance against Norwich (ignoring the Watford OG and his giving away the penalty against Arsenal).

If Richards (or Bacuna) does not play at right back against Sunderland, I think we all just need to accept that barring a miracle or serious injury, we are stuck with Hutton at right back.

Â